deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Specific Deathtouch synergies  (Read 2012 times)

Culexus

• Decks
Specific Deathtouch synergies
« on: December 12, 2021, 01:37:24 pm »
Heyho pals,

it's been a while since i played Magic but me and a friend are hyped for another time and busy building our new decks. I stumbled across some questions though regarding Deathtouch and https://cards.deckstats.net/magiccard.php?utf8=1&lng=de&card=Spare%20Dagger&set=AFR.

1st and simple question, if i equip the dagger to a creature with deathtouch, attack and use the effect, the deathtouch would kill target creature or?
2nd question, how does it work with https://cards.deckstats.net/magiccard.php?utf8=1&lng=de&card=Fynn%2C%20the%20Fangbearer&set=KHM and the dagger? In my eyes or afair, the effect of the dagger doesnt count as combat damage and thus would not apply poison counters or am i mistaken?

Thanks for the answers in advance
Greetings

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
Re: Specific Deathtouch synergies
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 02:21:28 pm »
Yes in both cases. It will kill the creature and with Fynn, the Fangbearer of which existence I'm frankly amazed, it will apply poison counters as well. If I am not mistaken this time. I got remarks and downvotes last time for a question similar to your 1st, but now in the 2nd case I am pretty sure I am right.
Regards:
Chavo

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 06:40:26 pm »
No, that's not quite right. It WILL kill the creature, because Spare Dagger says the creature is the one doing the damage. With deathtouch, any amount of damage dealt is considered lethal.

However, combat damage specifically refers to damage done by attacking in the combat phase. Abilities activated during combat don't count as combat damage, so Spare Dagger would not trigger Fynn.

EDIT: Confused step with phase.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 01:31:08 am by Slyvester12 »
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 09:52:43 pm »
Yes in both cases. It will kill the creature and with Fynn, the Fangbearer of which existence I'm frankly amazed, it will apply poison counters as well. If I am not mistaken this time. I got remarks and downvotes last time for a question similar to your 1st, but now in the 2nd case I am pretty sure I am right.
Regards:
Chavo
You are mistaken. Fynn, the Fangbearer specifically refers to combat damage. The Spare Dagger gives the equipped creature the ability to deal damage but being able to deal combat damage is restricted to the combat damage step only. Spare Dagger does not trigger Fynn, the Fangbearer's poison counter giving ability. That would trigger only when a deathtouch creature actually deals combat damage in the combat damage step of the combat phase.

EDIT: If you feel unsure about rules interactions I suggest you don't take a chance on them.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 09:55:49 pm by MustaKotka »
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 09:58:44 pm »
Oh, I misread the question in this case. Sorry.
Chavo

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 11:34:11 pm »
Will people actually stop that? Giving out negative when a person is actually trying to be helpful unlike the ones who are giving out negatives. Constant negative reinforcement isn't helping out what so ever. I didn't see anybody else jumping in to be helpful until 5 to 8 hours later,
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2021, 11:46:42 pm »
It's very sad to receive downvotes "every now and then". I don't want to be sarcastic, but I misread the second line: I thought it was concerning only the creature with Deathtouch. I really however cherish and appreciate stars on decks, but I can't "command" people's tastes. To drop with 10 downvotes in a day last week was very hurtful and I think people could've spared me the disfavor, instead.
Regards:
Chavo

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 02:20:52 am »
Will people actually stop that? Giving out negative when a person is actually trying to be helpful unlike the ones who are giving out negatives. Constant negative reinforcement isn't helping out what so ever. I didn't see anybody else jumping in to be helpful until 5 to 8 hours later,
Wrong advice is wrong advice because rules are not a matter of opinion and I'm not going to support misleading advice, sorry.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2021, 03:39:55 am »
Wrong advice is wrong advice because rules are not a matter of opinion and I'm not going to support misleading advice, sorry.

What part of "trying to be helpful" didn't you understand? But since we are finger pointing let's continue to point fingers. Again 5 hours later after he was "trying to be helpful" Someone helped both him and the Op. 5 hours later with 550 views on this topic. You mean that out of 550 views that nobody else was or could be helpful until 5 hours later? What was everyone doing that they didn't have time to be helpful? hmmmm.... Yet another thing not everyone knows all the rules inside and out and gives the wrong answer. Can you quote the entire comprehensive rule book on magic? I know I can't. Have you read the entire comprehensive rules? I can actually say I have but that was like way back around 2012 and those rules have changed. Did you know judges have been called upon for a ruling and have got the ruling wrong? I have seen it first hand. So to correct someone who was trying to be helpful which was done is also helping that person as well. Using negativity to try to make people understand isn't going to work. People seeing this negativity being used eventually won't be helpful. <------- proof of this is how many views we've had. How many of those whom have viewed will not post because of the fear of negativity?
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2021, 08:50:53 pm »
You are both correct here. If anyone needs help, go help them. We've all recieved help and advice on this site before. However, if it's a rules interaction, please answer only if you know the specific rule in question well. And downvotes for a mistake are kind of nasty, just tell the person that they made a mistake. Everything goes a lot smoother that way. Thank you.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2021, 09:37:59 pm »
Thank you. I made mistake. I am sorry. You told me.
Regards:
Chavo

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2021, 10:32:54 pm »
I know I overdramatized; but, how then does deathtouch correspond with Solar Blaze, Repentance, Wave of Reckoning, Wrack with Madness and Kiku's Shadow? "deals damage to itself equal to its power"? Deathtouch to itself?
Regards:
Chavo

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2021, 10:55:09 pm »
I know I overdramatized; but, how then does deathtouch correspond with Solar Blaze, Repentance, Wave of Reckoning, Wrack with Madness and Kiku's Shadow? "deals damage to itself equal to its power"? Deathtouch to itself?
Regards:
Chavo

Yes, in all of those cases, a creature with deathtouch would deal lethal damage to itself.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2021, 11:02:59 pm »
Thank you. Of these only Solar Blaze is worth something in my opinion.
Regards:
Chavo