deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Custom sleeve designs - opinions?  (Read 1647 times)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Custom sleeve designs - opinions?
« on: February 03, 2022, 05:58:10 pm »
I'm looking to buy some custom art Dragon Shield sleeves. These sleeves are for the Kami of the Crescent Moon deck I have. Since I don't know which version Deckstats will conjure I've attached a picture of the card for your convenience. Basically I have two options:
  • The Death Star design with the "Ceci n'est pas une lune" text. Pros: it's funny and combines a lot of cool references. Cons: it's a joke and there's text. Is this something I will want to stare at for years to come?
  • The crescent Moon design with no text. Pros: colour matches with the Kami card, the Moon is realistic and crescent like the name implies. Cons: it's slightly boring. I consider this to be the safer choice because it's more neutral.
I can't pick one. Ultimately the decision is mine but I'd like to hear your opinions and suggestions. Haven't set anything in stone yet so I can still experiment with further designs should good ideas come up.

Also there's no guarantee they'll accept either design considering the album art is copyrighted. Then again I have edited them heavily so I think they should somewhat count as "derivative art" which is allowed.

Help me, Deckstats. You're my only hope.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 09:10:28 pm by MustaKotka »
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

tomcat0071

• Decks
Re: Custom sleeve designs - opinions?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 06:51:47 pm »
So I ordered some with Liesa, Forgotten Archangel alt art (full art without card overlay, attached) for my Liesa, Shroud of Dusk deck. I submitted the image without any modifications and Dragon Shield let it through, so I wouldn't worry too much about copyright issues.

On the topic of picking one, personally I like the more minimal design (just the crescent), but based on your deckstats picture I would recommend the Death Star ones :)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 07:06:28 pm »
So I ordered some with Liesa, Forgotten Archangel alt art (full art without card overlay, attached) for my Liesa, Shroud of Dusk deck. I submitted the image without any modifications and Dragon Shield let it through, so I wouldn't worry too much about copyright issues.

On the topic of picking one, personally I like the more minimal design (just the crescent), but based on your deckstats picture I would recommend the Death Star ones :)
Thanks for the tip. Other people have also said that they probably don't care... So I assume I'm safe.

I think the minimal design is probably the one that it more pleasant to the eye long term. But then again Death Star is just so cool...

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 10:36:07 pm »
Hey man,

Both are sweet! Awesome job.

Personally I'd go for the more minimal blue Crescent Moon design of the two, for a few reasons.

1. Personal preference. I just like minimal design a little more, especially for things like card sleeves.
2. Longevity. I think the minimal design is something that is less likely to become stale over time.
3. Relevance. I think it is much better match for your deck and commander. You would look at those sleeves and think "Sick, that's a Kami of the Crescent Moon deck".
4. Inclusivity. Other peoples response is more likely to be "Hey, that's awesome" even if they're not overly familiar with Dark Side of the Moon, in part because of point 3, whereas the others are more likely to result in "I don't get it". I don't know about you, but the idea of having to explain the joke repeatedly sounds like it'd get old pretty fast to me.

Those are just my two cents though. Whatever you decide, I hope you're happy with the result. They're both cool so I'm sure you will be.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 02:54:18 am »
Hey man,

Both are sweet! Awesome job.

Personally I'd go for the more minimal blue Crescent Moon design of the two, for a few reasons.

1. Personal preference. I just like minimal design a little more, especially for things like card sleeves.
2. Longevity. I think the minimal design is something that is less likely to become stale over time.
3. Relevance. I think it is much better match for your deck and commander. You would look at those sleeves and think "Sick, that's a Kami of the Crescent Moon deck".
4. Inclusivity. Other peoples response is more likely to be "Hey, that's awesome" even if they're not overly familiar with Dark Side of the Moon, in part because of point 3, whereas the others are more likely to result in "I don't get it". I don't know about you, but the idea of having to explain the joke repeatedly sounds like it'd get old pretty fast to me.

Those are just my two cents though. Whatever you decide, I hope you're happy with the result. They're both cool so I'm sure you will be.
I've been hearing vaguely similar opinions but you're the first one to put them on a list that clearly. Thank you! You're spot on on all of these points. I don't personally mind having to explain a joke (my jokes are usually so bad that I have to do it anyway) but I can see how that could make others feel a little uncomfortable.