deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: UI updates and dark mode - now live!  (Read 4937 times)

Nils

• Decks
UI updates and dark mode - now live!
« on: December 23, 2021, 10:07:03 am »
As announced I am excited to release a new version of the Deckstats design - including a dark mode theme - today!

Here is a quick overview over all the changes in this update:

• New design: I have kept the familiar color scheme, but modernised the layout and cleaned up a bunch of details. Some buttons have moved around a bit and some pages may look a little different, but the core functionality has not changed and everything should be easy to find.
  • Dark and light themes: you can toggle to dark mode with a switch at the bottom of the page, or let the site adjust automatically based on your OS settings.
  • Improved deck preview images: when posting decks to other sites like reddit or Discord, the preview image will now be high-res art from a card in your deck, replacing the old 'color stripes'. We will try to choose a sensible card automatically (eg. if you're playing commander it will use the art from the commander), but you can also select your favorite from the deck properties. The next time you save your deck, the color stripes on Deckstats will be replaced by card art too.
  • Improved mobile layout in the forums: the design of the forums will still require some further work, but they should be a bit more usable on small screens now. I am planning to make further improvements to the forums over time.

It has been a long road to make this happen, so I hope you enjoy these changes!

As usual, if you notice any bugs or have further suggestions please post here, message me in #site-feedback on our Discord or Tweet to @deckstats on Twitter.

Thank you to the beta testers on our Discord who helped me test these changes, CleanBelwas who helped me build the initial design prototype, and a special shout out to our Patreon subscribers for their continued support!

And, of course, happy holidays to those who celebrate and a happy new year! 🎄
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 10:44:23 am by Nils »

reynarok

• Patron
  • Decks
Re: UI updates and dark mode - now live!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 11:23:00 am »
Love the new design!

sl0wp0ke_LU

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 11:39:45 am »
NICE :)

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 11:48:52 am »
Darkmode is such a nice feature for almost every page - including deckstats. ;D
What confused me at frist is that the red 'new'-marker for forum posts is also black and not really eye-catching anymore. Would be possible and easy to make them red again?
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

Schau

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 02:51:22 pm »
I'm not sure why but when I type fast in a forum it seems to not register all the keys I pressed and often skips up to 1/3 of the letters, it doesn't do this anywhere else, is anybody else having this problem?

Also, I agree with Akira about the 'new'-marker being difficult to see, but other than that this update is great!

Grimseal

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 04:32:42 pm »
New layout is nice - random thing i've noticed today is every card in my sideboard being given the commander flag (even when I delete it)? I've tried deleting the sideboard, saving then re-adding it but the same thing occurs when I either save the list or just analyse what I've typed in.

List for reference - https://deck.tk/9zHf6fTz

STARBREAKER111

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 05:01:10 pm »
have you tried putting them in the maybeboard instead?

Ravager90

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 05:40:24 pm »
Deck editor now sorts cards by letter after pressing the edit button.
Even if custom orders / groups are activated.
Can this be fixed? For me this is a huge issue because I have sorted all my decks by custom order and this order is reverted back to alphabetical after pressing edit every time.

Grimseal

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2021, 05:54:09 pm »
have you tried putting them in the maybeboard instead?

Can confirm maybeboard doesn't have the issue - but you don't see maybeboard in the visual spoiler (which I don't like)

I've also just noticed a tiny picture of your commander now appears instead of the decks colours when you're looking in your decklist folders. Not a fan of this page - you can't see the image very well because it's so small, the colour blocks were useful to see at a glance what colours I was playing a lot of across my decks.

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2021, 05:58:14 pm »
What confused me at frist is that the red 'new'-marker for forum posts is also black and not really eye-catching anymore. Would be possible and easy to make them red again?
I will have a look!

I'm not sure why but when I type fast in a forum it seems to not register all the keys I pressed and often skips up to 1/3 of the letters, it doesn't do this anywhere else, is anybody else having this problem?
That's a very strange issue, and not something I have experienced myself. Which browser are you using? And does it happen when you use quick reply, normal reply, or when you make a new topic? Or all the time?

New layout is nice - random thing i've noticed today is every card in my sideboard being given the commander flag (even when I delete it)? I've tried deleting the sideboard, saving then re-adding it but the same thing occurs when I either save the list or just analyse what I've typed in.

List for reference - https://deck.tk/9zHf6fTz
That's fixed now, thanks for reporting it!

Deck editor now sorts cards by letter after pressing the edit button.
Even if custom orders / groups are activated.
Can this be fixed? For me this is a huge issue because I have sorted all my decks by custom order and this order is reverted back to alphabetical after pressing edit every time.
Can you tell me a bit more details please? Are you using the interactive or text-based editor? A link to an example would be great.

Ravager90

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2021, 06:02:54 pm »
Test based editor only.

Using my Yasova Dragonclaw deck as an example.
https://deckstats.net/decks/1835/2220562-commander-yasova-dragonclaw

It's 100% manually sorted and grouped. As soon as I press the edit button, the editor is displayed, though my custom sorting is destroyed. All cards are now sorted alphabetically.

STARBREAKER111

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2021, 06:04:28 pm »
I've also just noticed a tiny picture of your commander now appears instead of the decks colours when you're looking in your decklist folders. Not a fan of this page - you can't see the image very well because it's so small, the colour blocks were useful to see at a glance what colours I was playing a lot of across my decks.
I agree, if the picture was larger then it would be more useful but then it would take up more space as well, so i don’t know if it would actually improve anything.

now after all my criticism, I want to thank Nils for all the hard work and testing out new features, keep up the hard work.👍🏻

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2021, 06:09:43 pm »
Test based editor only.

Using my Yasova Dragonclaw deck as an example.

It's 100% manually sorted and grouped. As soon as I press the edit button, the editor is displayed, though my custom sorting is destroyed. All cards are now sorted alphabetically.
Thank you, this should be fixed now!

Ravager90

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2021, 06:12:39 pm »
Thank you! Time for an updated deck list. Awesome.

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2021, 06:14:49 pm »
And I see your point about the small deck preview images! I'd be happy to change those back to color stripes if people prefer.

How about we have a quick impromptu poll here - please upvote this post if you'd like to go back to the small color stripes for lists of decks, and downvote it if you prefer to keep the images. :)

Please note: This is only about the small images on Deckstats. The preview images on other sites will remain no matter what.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 06:24:56 pm by Nils »