deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Knightless Knights  (Read 532 times)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Knightless Knights
« on: December 31, 2021, 06:05:34 pm »
So, I'm building more dumb shit.

I have this idea where I want to build Syr Gwyn, but without knights.

I want to build it with just other creatures, and they get knighted when the perform acts of valour.

Things like beat a creature in combat, deal combat damage to a player, that kind of thing.

The problem is, I'm only aware of 4 ways to make a specific creature (rather than all creatures) a knight.

Dub
Sigiled sword of Valeron
Amorphous Axe
Runed stalactite

Is anyone else aware of any other ways in Mardu colours to manipulate single creatures creature types?

I've done some precursive scryfall searches but nothing obvious has jumped out as of yet.

TIA

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: Knightless Knights
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 06:46:53 pm »
Blades of Velis Vel can make 2 creatures into knights for one turn.

Opal Champion is an enchantment that becomes a knight.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 10:02:32 pm »
Yeah, unfortunately, all of the effects I can find in those colors don't change a single creature. They're either like Mirror Entity or Conspiracy.

This is an awesome idea and I would love to see it work out, though.

EDIT: As a side note, given how incredibly janky this is, you might ask your group if they're willing to accept a compromise:
At the start of the game, you get an emblem with "Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, deals lethal damage to another creature (or other conditions you can come up with for valorous deeds), that creature is knighted (it becomes a knight in addition to it's other types).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 10:07:39 pm by Slyvester12 »
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 10:36:31 pm »
Or Taurean Mauler, perhaps? I can't find a solution either. It's solid idea for sure. Maybe play it with Knights? There is good rooster for this indeed. I don't know. There are a lot of decks with him as a Commander. Maybe put some Knights as well with Changelings? I play him in Modern. Knight Exemplar is mandatory in either cases.
Regards:
Chavo

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 11:06:48 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I've spoken to my playgroup and they've agreed to allow me to run multiple copies of dub. It sucks, the deck will likely suck, and it gives me basically no tactical advantage for running multiple copies.

Every time a new method comes out, I'll just replace a copy of dub with it.

With that in mind, I'm also in need of "valourous deeds" that are worthy of knighthood.

So far I'm thinking:

- Best a creature in combat
- Deal combat damage to a player
- Save an ally from certain death (something like whitemane lion, karmic guide, mother of runes, Selfless Savior)
- Benefit the kingdom (draw me muitlple cards, tutor for something useful etc.)

If anyone has any other ideas of a valourous deed that make sense within the game mechanics and flavour of magic, I'd love to hear them and would be very appreciative.

Thanks again guys
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 11:09:21 pm by CleanBelwas »

anjinsan

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 01:39:57 am »
Interesting! I actually just recently built Syr Gwyn aikido spellslinger; it kinda surprised some people. I like the idea of promoting non-Knights into Knights - that aspect of cards like Dub usually seems to be a bit of flavour at best.