deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: How to deal with Derevi  (Read 577 times)

Jack_Magnum

• Decks
How to deal with Derevi
« on: December 31, 2021, 06:10:10 pm »
How in the world do you guys deal with Derevi? Apart from having an Imprison in the Moon, or cards like that, is there any feasible way to do anything about it as a commander? I feel like there isn't a meaningful way to interact with the card, and by extension the decks commands.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: How to deal with Derevi
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 06:32:07 pm »
You don't need to be able to take out a deck's commander in order to win against that deck. Derevi has no built-in card advantage, so if you attack the player's sources of card draw they'll be able to untap their permanents but won't get any payoff from it.

Derevi has always been a bit of a boogeyman at casual tables, because she's one of those commanders that is really easy to make a strong build. If you tell us a bit more about the Derevi deck that you go up against we might be able to help you out more.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 06:36:37 pm »
Aside from the enchantments you mentioned that remove Derevi's abilities, there are also Pithing Needle type effects.  They will stop the activated ability and now it no longer gets around commander tax.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Jack_Magnum

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 08:45:14 pm »
The Deck itself is an etb and blink deck. I am pretty sure if you took a look at EDHRec and the average etb deck, that is what I am working with. I don't necessarily want to silver bullet his deck, but it feels like I cannot handle this deck.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 10:17:26 pm »
By not "not handle the deck" do you mean that you have no ways of stopping it's gameplan, or that your decks aren't able to keep pace with Derevi's speed?

If this isn't the Derevi stax build it's likely the latter. The Derevi player is able to build up their boardstate and value engine faster than you are, correct? If this is the case, we can work on improving your decks' overall gameplan so that you won't necessarily need to stop the threat, you can also be the threat.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 04:17:42 pm »
I do agree with Morgantor and just become the threat. What I do understand but don't get is you don't want a silver bullet to slow the derevi payer to a hault. So you'll have to find stuff like Phyrexian Revoker, Pithing Needle (which was all ready mentioned), and Sorcerous Spyglass. This way derevi can't be cheated unto the field and will have to pay the commander tax. Your opponent can still play the commander but it isn't a silver bullet.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 11:19:34 pm »
You don't need to be able to take out a deck's commander in order to win against that deck. Derevi has no built-in card advantage, so if you attack the player's sources of card draw they'll be able to untap their permanents but won't get any payoff from it.

100% agree. Don't waste time trying to remove Darevi: it's useless, and sometimes counterproductive as casting her will give your opponent an additional trigger. Take out the other pieces of the engine (card draw and ramp, mainly) and you will be able to stop it.
Golgari is life. And death.