English-language Forums > General Magic

What are your collections "crown jewels" and "white whales"?

(1/6) > >>

CleanBelwas:
Hi all,

As we all know, MTG has a large collectable aspect to it in addition to game play, and many of us take pleasure in the ownership of certain cards within our collections, either because of nostalgia, sentimentality, power or myriad reasons in between.

What card(s) are you most proud of in your collections? And why?

Also, what's a card that you've always wanted but have never quite been able to get your hands on?

Obviously, I'm sure we'd all like to own the Power 9 and be able to buy a house off the back of them, but I'm more interested in hearing about the less obvious cards. Maybe there's a certain promo version of a card you've always loved. A card that was an integral part of deck you always wanted to try. A card you've wanted to trade in to but have never been able to find it in stock.

For me, when it comes to collecting, I like to focus on iconic Black cards.

As such, my favourite card is probably my Torment Cabal Coffers that I traded into aggressively (which then subsequently got reprinted and the price tanked, such is life).

My "white whale" is Lake of the Dead. When I first looked into buying one, you could pick one up for around £10, but I had just gotten back in to Magic and didn't want to spend £10 on card board that I might very well lose interest in in a month or two. Now days, £10 for a card seems absolutely fine, but Lake of the Dead now go for over £100 and I wish I'd just bitten the bullet back then.

Around the same time, I also remember looking at buying a badlands for about £10 and deciding against it because "it's just a land, doesn't seem worth that, and those coloured stripes in the text box are really ugly". What an idiot.

With the prices of old cards sky rocketing, I'm sure many of you have been in similar positions, so let's hear them.

The Golgari Guy:
My crown jewel is without a doubt my Survival of the Fittest. I was able to justify acquiring it recently by selling a bunch of cards with which I paid more than 2/3 of the price.

My white wale is Gaea's Cradle: I'd like to own one so much, since it would fit many of my decks perfectly (I love green and I love creature-based decks). However, that price tag is just too much to justify.

Aetherium Slinky:
The crown jewel... I don't own a lot of expensive or fancy cards. My favourite card in my collection is probably Mind Over Matter - it's really powerful, goes into many decks, it's RL (meaning it probably holds its value over time) and I like the art on it! The staff Urza is holding reminds me of the Dragon Priest Staff from Skyrim:

"A" card I'd love to have is a Kaladesh masterpiece. Any one of them, really. I absolutely love the general style of Kaladesh and I think the masterpieces are really well done. Most of them are actually good cards and I'm pretty sure that I'd find a use even if I got one of the less useful cards. I would probably build a deck around it.

Sometimes I treat myself to some special versions of cards. Recently I purchased a "From the Vault: Twenty" Gilded Lotus. It's a lesser known version / art of the card. If WotC doesn't reprint Gilded Lotus with this specific art I can see this card going slightly up in value, too, so it's not like I'm losing money.

Slyvester12:
I've started selling my collection, but I still have several of the better cards and I'll talk about what I had at its peak.

My crown jewel was definitely Gaea's Cradle (two of them). I had always wanted one, but always thought they were too expensive. Once I moved to Japan and got a decent paying job, I got back into magic and decided to go ahead and pick up a copy. Always felt great to play. Loved that card.

My white whale that I Ahab'd (yes, I know the whale kills him in the end, but you know what I mean) was Jace, the Mind Sculptor. It came out around the time I started playing, but getting a copy was always hard. Over the years, I just loved the concept, the abilities, the artwork, but never felt like paying for it. Again, picked one up in Japan.

My white whale that got away was always The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale. Always wanted to build a really gross stax deck with a lot of the old powerhouse cards to use against pubstompers. I used to run an Urza stax deck for people who intentionally understated their deck's power level, but I knew this would be even better. Still, by the time I was considering actually paying the ridiculous $1,200 price tag for the Tabernacle, it had gone up to over $4,000. So, short of becoming a billionaire, I'm not sure I'll ever finally pick one up.

mynameiscalled:
Hmm, crown jewel probably Plateau.

As far as ww's go - I'm still completing my playset of all the fetch lands - not in a hurry, really; but still grinding the grind.

Also, have some oldies I need for my Vintage Worldgorger Dragon combo deck - I kept the overall price as low as you possibly can be, while still having a first turn win chance (It's usually turn 2-3 though)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version