deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Interesting ways to do counter spells in no blue colors  (Read 3897 times)

Varatius

• Decks
Interesting ways to do counter spells in no blue colors
« on: May 28, 2022, 05:03:21 pm »
So I was thinking what are some new ways to see counter spells in non blue colors. 
Maybe we could see a white one like this

WW instant counter target spell with mana value less than your devotion to white.

Or a golgari one

GB instant exile target spell it's controller may search his/her library for a land card and put it on to the battlefield.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Interesting ways to do counter spells in no blue colors
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 05:11:57 pm »
White has a few conditional counter spells (Dawn Charm, Mana Tithe, Lapse of Certainty, Rebuff the Wicked) as well as a couple creatures with limited counter abilities (Order of the Sacred Torch where you can counter a black spell) but blue will always be the colors for them.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing one or two in the other colors.

Maybe something in green like "Counter target spell if you control a creature with greater power than that spells mana value".
This space for rent.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 06:08:11 pm »

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing one or two in the other colors.

Maybe something in green like "Counter target spell if you control a creature with greater power than that spells mana value".

Lifeforce
Happy Brewing!
:)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 07:13:49 pm »
Yea, I know that card. I was trying to find something that wasn't limited as to what color it could effect. Otherwise it's just a recolored Red Elemental Blast.
This space for rent.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 07:51:56 pm »
Not limited by color.  Still very limited.

Avoid Fate
Happy Brewing!
:)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 07:59:02 pm »
Nice one. Can’t remember the last time I saw that.

Some unlimited counters would be nice, even if it’s just like two a color.
This space for rent.

Varatius

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 12:25:11 am »
I started this thread because the thought experiment I find interesting how can you add this effect to other colors making slightly stronger versions than what there already is.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2022, 09:04:39 am »
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

anjinsan

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2022, 03:42:50 pm »
Frankly I think all colours should get counterspells. Apparently WotC are pretty down on counterspells generally because their market research finds them to be "un-fun", but they're a pretty key part of the game, especially in EDH for example (there are some threats where you basically counter it or lose)... and anyway, so long as they keep printing blue counterspells at all they should probably print some other colours IMO. Every colour has access to (forms of) removal, card draw, etc, so why should counterspells be colour-restricted?

White especially feels like a colour where you can make counterspells quite thematic, and it being secondary in them would be a way to broaden its slice of the pie and help with its traditional issues (in EDH at least). Imagine something like Ashiok's Erasure in White - for example "1WW - Intercesion - Flash. When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target spell. When ~ leaves the battlefield, return it to its owner's hand. At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice ~ and draw a card".

Red got Tibalt's Trickery not long ago, so that's one design, or it could be like an Arcane Denial where you get impulsive draw, or something where someone can take damage to have their spell not countered. Black could be sac, discard or lose life or be countered, or have discard as well, or you sac as an additional cost (a way of making it a bit more restricted than just an unconditional counterspell). Green feels like the least likely to have counterspells and that's no big problem IMO but, say, tapping a creature as part of the cost (indeed, a creature with greater P or T than CMC sounds sensible) would be interesting - Green typically wants to play big creatures at sorcery speed, and attack with them, so holding up the mana and the creature for that would actually be pretty significant.

BoBWiz

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2022, 09:17:33 am »
Hi

I'm not sure about this. Each Color got their peculiarity. In each color you can use the weapons you've given.
In blue you got no (true) removal at all, so you have to counter.
In white there are some counterspells. You can also use proactive spells like Gideon's Intervention.
In black you use discard like duress.
In red you got counterspells as well. Or you are that fast that you don't need counterspells. In my personal opinion, red is the weakest color. But always playing it, it gives me the lie.
In green you got a lot spells saving your threads like veil of summer or savage summoning and so on.

I really enjoy it that the colors got such different unique properties.

I do not play EDH. May there are some differences to constructed.

Like always this is just my personal opinion.

best

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 06:59:46 pm »
In red you got counterspells as well.
Tibalt's Trickery set aside, what other counterspells exist in red? Sure, you can Fork or Deflecting Swat a spell but red doesn't really have hard counters outside of Tibalt's Trickery.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2022, 10:29:47 pm »
Tibalt's Trickery set aside, what other counterspells exist in red? Sure, you can Fork or Deflecting Swat a spell but red doesn't really have hard counters outside of Tibalt's Trickery.
I would consider something like Possibility Storm a soft counter.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2022, 11:44:57 pm »
Artifact Blast, Burnout, Molten Influence, Pyroblast, Red Elemental Blast, Guttural Response. So, they're mostly anti-blue, but they've got a few.

BoBWiz

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2022, 07:30:34 am »
"Artifact Blast, Burnout, Molten Influence, Pyroblast, Red Elemental Blast, Guttural Response. So, they're mostly anti-blue, but they've got a few."

I thought of these.

anjinsan

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2022, 08:20:31 pm »
I think this is more important in EDH, where counterspelling is more important (there are more threats where the only good way to deal with them is a counterspell) and "being fast" isn't that viable an alternative (not that a whole colour should be shoehorned into "stop playing the game as quickly as possible" as its only strategy...).

But, as I said before, I see counterspells kind of like removal, or even card draw - just a key mechanic of the game. Blue has bad removal; I don't mind if Green has bad counterspells. I wouldn't be averse to it having some, though (and other colours even more so).

Also, counterspells may be "un-fun", but discard is more un-fun, and they keep giving Black that (and considering again multiplayer formats like EDH, targeted discard or extract effects don't really work so well).

Stuff like Possibility Storm isn't really a counter but a form of stax (well, it's chaos, but it serves much the same purpose here), making it harder to cast in general, or with any plan or reliability at least.

I actually don't mind spells like Wild Ricochet or Divert as psuedo-counterspells - they mostly do the job of counterspells, they're just narrow (and we have plenty of spells like Negate which are also limited in what they can counter). I would just like there to be other options to cover other bases, too.