deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Cards you refuse to use  (Read 4472 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Cards you refuse to use
« on: August 02, 2022, 02:18:41 pm »
Is there a card that's so powerful that you think it's unfair to use? Is there a card that you think is overrated by the community and can't put in any of your decks? Is there a card that you hate the artwork of so much that you can't stand to look at it?

What are the cards that you will never use?

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Re: Cards you refuse to use
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 02:53:42 pm »
The (SL versions of) Walking Dead. It was just such a mess. I might use the cards once they print the in-universe versions.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 03:31:44 pm »
Land Tax is one I refuse to use for a different reason and that is because of price. Odd though because I have bought pricier singles then Land Tax. Then I would say is playing stax cards, while I have played a few all ready I just don't play that type of deck or card(s) anymore. I just don't see the fun in bogging down the game. Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger I only have 1 in a deck and refuse to put it in any other. I do own another and Vorinclex always changes the aspect of the game. It turns the focus from playing the game into a focus of what is going to be done about Vorinclex.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 03:56:47 pm »
I also do not use The Walking Dead cards.  This is mainly my own personal protest regarding the horrible way that WotC chose to limit their distribution.

Other than that, I don't think there are any cards that I just outright won't use.  There are cards that I use very cautiously.

I use stax pieces.  But mainly as individual pieces to pillowfort myself.  I avoid jamming too many into one single deck and thereby creating a "stax deck".

Possibility Storm is another one.  My playgroup used to love it.  That was likely the newness of it.  They're largely over it.  I give this one some extra thought before slotting it in.

Similar with Torment of Hailfire.
Happy Brewing!
:)

mynameiscalled

• I'm your one-man cult
    • MiseryBusinessMTG
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 04:01:35 pm »
I will never, ever, ever, never-ever put a Fortnite themed art card in my deck.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 04:20:52 pm »
It's unlikely I'll ever run any of the Universes Beyond cards. I originally got into Magic because I thought the art was really cool and different from other TCGs I had played. I thought the idea of internally consistent themes throughout the sets was an awesome idea that made each plane feel unique but connected. That was before they put Ryu and Chun-Li on a card.

I like Magic, and I like a lot of the UB properties like Street Fighter, LotR, Warhammer, etc... But I don't want them in the same game. If I were playing a Warhammer game and Nicol Bolas showed up to fight some space marines, I would be unhappy. If I were playing SF and Gandalf magically suplexed Zangief... Okay, that would be sick, but fighting games commonly have guest characters and goofy nonsense to begin with.

I don't know. Something about seeing 'guest characters' in Magic seems wrong. I haven't encountered it much yet, but if it ever became more common, I would definitely enjoy the game less.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 05:32:09 pm »
If I were playing SF and Gandalf magically suplexed Zangief... Okay, that would be sick, but fighting games commonly have guest characters and goofy nonsense to begin with.

"Gandalf. Yes... That is what they used to call me. Gandalf the Grey. That was my name. I am Gandalf the right hook."

So yeah, I'm with all of you. I won't use any Universe Beyond cards. And you know all of those lists I maintain? I don't even include those cards on the lists.

There are also a lot of cards that other people consider to be commander staples, but they're just not right for me. I've tried using Cultivate, Solemn Simulacrum, Sword of the Animist, and plain ol' Counterspell, but they just don't do it for me.

Dactylartha

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 07:02:11 pm »
I like Magic, and I like a lot of the UB properties like Street Fighter, LotR, Warhammer, etc... But I don't want them in the same game. If I were playing a Warhammer game and Nicol Bolas showed up to fight some space marines, I would be unhappy. If I were playing SF and Gandalf magically suplexed Zangief... Okay, that would be sick, but fighting games commonly have guest characters and goofy nonsense to begin with.

I would absolutely love it if Bolas showed up in a 40K game. What a scenic battle that would be. But I get you. I'll not use 99% of universe beyond cards until they get in- universe prints. P3K besides, I guess? I will probably buy the CSM 40k commander deck because I play CSM in 40k.

Smothering tithe is a card I refuse to play, and any commanders that have infect (I'm fine with poison in the deck though).

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2022, 07:15:29 pm »
There is one entire category of art cards that I don't like using.  I don't outright refuse to use them, as for a few cards, that is the only version that I have.

EXTENDED ART

I hate the aesthetic of the frame on cards with the "extended art" treatment.  The way the frame just kind of ends in a blurry, fuzzy fashion without a distinct edge.  It bothers me.
Happy Brewing!
:)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 08:19:49 pm »
I don't think there is any specific card I would be against using in isolation.

There are definitely archetypes/strategies that I avoid though. I tend to steer away from easy to assemble combos and storm. Much as I enjoy them, my playgroup don't so I want to be respectful to them and not force them to play games they aren't going to enjoy.

I also tend to steer away from tutors, or too many of them at least. My general deck building structure for tutors is "bad decks get the good ones, good decks get the bad ones or non at all". My demonic tutor is in 2 drop tribal. No combos to find, just more crappy two drops.

I have no intention of playing any UB cards in any decks. I do however fully intend to collect every LotR card and make a self contained cube. I've been a hideous Lord of the Rings nerd since I was like 10. It's the only thing I'm more nerdy for than magic. I've read the whole series (hobbit and silmarilion and various other bits included) dozens of times. I'm going to be going all in on it, so I'm just really hoping the draft environment is good.

UrizenII

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2022, 06:15:22 am »
Forests

Bonethor

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 07:07:51 am »
Probably chaos cards, although refuse and never are pretty strong statements. Chaos Warp and its recent brethren are ok, I'm more talking stuff like Warp World - cards that take a ton of time to resolve and which you can't really rely to work for you. Some randomness is fun and even total randomness can be fun a time or two, but imo it gets old really fast.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2022, 09:49:55 pm »
My first thought was the universe cards. I just have no interest in playing a Walking Dead or Fortnite card in a MTG deck. The two just don't go together in my eyes. I'm just not a big fan of any of these crossovers.

My second thought was Diabolic Tutor. Before I wasn't able to play for an extended period of time, I noticed seeing it more and more at my LGS, particularly among the newer players. I just don't think it's a good choice at its CMC. I'd rather not run a tutor than run it.
This space for rent.

adamf9898

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 02:12:31 am »
I refuse to use counterspell cards.

mynameiscalled

• I'm your one-man cult
    • MiseryBusinessMTG
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 10:04:31 am »
Part of me understands people not wanting to play counterspells in a casual format, but part of me thinks that it takes a huuuge part of identity away from playing blue. I do try to use them more to defend my board, rather than interrupt opponents in a casual EDH enviroment.