English-language Forums > Primers

[EDH] Gale / Scion Spellslinger Reanimator

(1/1)

_shift:
Hello all,

I recently added the primer to my Gale / Scion list. I'd like to get feedback, this deck is my current baby.

https://deckstats.net/decks/208321/2633510-gale-scion-dimir-reanimator-co/en#show_description

Edit: Missed #show_description - fixed deck link.

Morganator 2.0:
I'm gonna rapid-fire some questions on you.

What do you think of using mill cards like Altar of Dementia, Cut your Losses, Fleet Swallower, Fraying Sanity, Hedron Crab, Maddening Cacophony, Mesmeric Orb, and Traumatize? All of them designed to hit you, and sometimes your opponents.

Besides Disallow how do you deal with grave-hate? What tips can you give to deal with a Rest in Peace, Ground Seal, or Grafdigger's Cage?

Why are you using Toxrill, the Corrosive instead of an instant/sorcery boardwipe?

_shift:

--- Quote from: Morganator 2.0 on August 21, 2022, 08:05:43 pm ---I'm gonna rapid-fire some questions on you.

What do you think of using mill cards like Altar of Dementia, Cut your Losses, Fleet Swallower, Fraying Sanity, Hedron Crab, Maddening Cacophony, Mesmeric Orb, and Traumatize? All of them designed to hit you, and sometimes your opponents.

Besides Disallow how do you deal with grave-hate? What tips can you give to deal with a Rest in Peace, Ground Seal, or Grafdigger's Cage?

Why are you using Toxrill, the Corrosive instead of an instant/sorcery boardwipe?

--- End quote ---

Hey, thanks for the questions. Let me answer the grave hate question first. With so much grave hate in the format, I prefer selective Entomb and looting type effects. Looting effects let me choose what I'm putting into the graveyard, and when. If you look through my list, you will see that mill effects are few and far between. I want to filter the lands into my hand, or filter them out of my hand and into the graveyard when I don't need them. I want to selectively keep the Reanimate in my hand and put the Entomb in the bin, so I can stack them with a Gale trigger. Or when I'm looking to reanimate something, I want to put a bomb in the bin and cheat it out quick. I have never liked the idea of just dumping huge swaths of my library into the bin and hoping that someone doesn't drop one of the cards you mentioned, Rest in Peace, Ground Seal, or Grafdigger's Cage and catch me without a counterspell.  I dislike mill even more when I have combo pieces I don't want to get wiped out. I prefer to use the graveyard as a staging area, rather than greedily relying on it like a huge second hand. Relying on looting and entombing allows (in my opinion) more resiliency against getting blown out against grave hate.

Further, This is a spellslinger deck. I chose what I felt were among the best looting effects, a majority of which are instants, along with among the best reanimator effects, which are all sorceries. It's a nice synergistic combo with Gale.

For these two reasons, I elected not to include any of the large mill effects you mention.

Getting back to your grave hate question - Dimir's weakness is obviously enchantments. If they can't be countered, our best best is to bounce and make our move before it can come back down, or counter it after the bounce. Cyclonic Rift, Feed the Swarm, and Otawara, Soaring City can help with the enchantments. In addition to these, Resculpt will deal with artifacts. I am considering adding additional bounce (this is probably meta dependent), like Geistwave and/or Alchemist's Retrieval. Additionally, I am considering a miracle package with tutors (Entreat the Dead, Devastation Tide, Vampiric Tutor, and Mystical Tutor). If I don't hit the miracle on these cards, I can simply bin them through looting effects. The two tutors can allow flexibility in finding a needed piece of removal (and Tide would be an additional piece), as well as setting up the top deck needed to nail the miracle. Entreat the Dead for the miracle cost is very attractive with all the bombs in the deck.

Finally, Toxrill, the Corrosive is (again, in my opinion) an absolute stellar bomb. Cheating it out and protecting it absolutely locks the board down and fills your hand with cards. It's absolutely worth the slot. The number of board wipes for a deck may vary per meta, however recognize that all the entomb tutors can put any answer in the bin to be abused with Gale. Entombing a Toxic Deluge and casting it on someone else's turn behind a Brainstorm is good stuff. Note above however that I'm considering adding another wipe to the package.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version