deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Swapping decks for a game: what deck would you bring?  (Read 1080 times)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Swapping decks for a game: what deck would you bring?
« on: September 21, 2022, 11:18:27 am »
As some of you may have seen, the Professor over at the Tolarian Community College Youtube channel recently posted a video where he and his guests sat down for a game of commander. They each brought along their favourite deck, then before they started playing, passed their deck to the right so that their deck was being played by someone else.

It's a wonderful idea that, if you watch the video, had the desired effect of letting everyone at the table get excited as different cards were played. They all spoke animatedly about the different cards and lines in the deck, why certain cards where there, why they loved the deck, what inspired them to create it etc. It was a genuinely wholesome time.

So, if you were to attend a game like this, what deck would you bring, and more importantly, why?

Go off in the replies. Share you deck lists. I want to see your pride and joy. I want to hear why you love it. I want to hear about cool games you've played with the deck. Let's all remember why we love this format despite the perpetual spoilers and power creep.

paulusdeboself

• Decks
Re: Swapping decks for a game: what deck would you bring?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 03:02:34 pm »
I think I would bring my Kethis Elf tribal deck. It's quite a different take for Kethis and while I'm not the only one that has made an elf tribal Kethis deck it's fun to play a lot of legenday elves (both literally and as a figure of speech, because for me Imperious Perfect is a favorite card that got me hooked on tribal decks).

While it's not the typical fast mana deck it's fun and can be strong in the late game, because it has a recursion package that no deck of mine has.

It's also one of my only decks that has quite a lot of expensive cards in it (for me that is at least)

Here is the deck: https://deckstats.net/decks/104951/1340073-commander-kethis-elvish-legend
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 03:07:01 pm by paulusdeboself »

anjinsan

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 11:05:02 am »
Probably some kind of political deck?

I find such decks fun to play, and I think most people find them fun to play against too, since they create interaction (but that's not just killing or countering your stuff). And, after all, if I'm swapping decks I kind of want to give someone one that I'd like to play against!

It has the added benefit for this format that if you're giving people cards that require some politicking and thinking to get the most out of them rather than just cards with raw power, you're challenging them a bit more on a sort of metagame level (without just deliberately giving them a weak deck - in terms of winning that would be the optimal strategy, of course, but seems rather against the spirit of the thing).

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 03:11:31 pm »
Would love to bring my Kami.
https://deckstats.net/decks/93006/2617595-mommy-my-hand-got-an-owchie-ka

The only problem is that the deck is pretty complicated and I'm not sure how easy it is to pilot without explanations. But it's a fun deck that snowballs from group hug to oppressive control.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 05:04:12 pm »
While this deck does need some tweaking most everyone I've played against it gets surprised at what it does. The biggest surprise is because the commander gives a creature haste along with myriad. Second biggest is how it can ramp while actually in Boros.
https://deckstats.net/decks/52552/2643190-duke-ulder-demolition
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 11:02:52 pm »
If I was just asked to bring a favorite deck, and didn't know we were swapping, I might bring my Morophon, the Boundless deck, which would suck for whoever pilots it, because it relies on a fairly convoluted combo to win.  Alternatively, if I new I'd be switching, I'd probably bring Kamahl, Fist of Krosa since he's really straight forward and just a lot of fun.  Who doesn't like ramping into great big green bombs?  Kamahl is my very first EDH deck, so it's a great candidate for that reason, too.  I love the Morophon deck just because I love goofy and complicated combos (yes, I'm a Johnny), and therefor, it would be a great deck to bring as an example of favorite decks, but a really poor example of great decks for swapping.  That's one of the really dangerous things about swapping decks, if someone spends the first 27 turns just trying to figure out if there's any cohesiveness to their deck at all, only to figure out that there's some jank combo buried in all the chaos.

mynameiscalled

• I'm your one-man cult
    • MiseryBusinessMTG
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2022, 09:08:26 am »
my Kwain deck - can't put into words how fun this deck is. The games can go bananas. So much card draw for everyone, and you can win with laboratory maniac without using him as a combo piece. I just put somewhat eh cards in the deck that I thought are cool, but don't really have a home, well, they found one in this deck perfectly. (I have a mini-primer in the deck's description, if anybody is interested)

https://deckstats.net/decks/195680/2653287--/en

Sorry, I don't know how to organize my decklist if I've copy-pasted it - somebody teach me! (It's perfect on my page with extended sections but when I paste it, it's all a cranberry jam)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 09:10:59 am by mynameiscalled »

anjinsan

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2022, 08:53:09 pm »
I guess that's the funny thing about swapping decks, huh, since "fun" is so subjective...  ;)

AlltheTokens

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2022, 06:01:09 pm »
I guess I would bring my boy Krenko.  He is a lot of fun to play and the combos are pretty easy to understand. Mynameiscalled, if you edit your deck and “create custom subsections” they will show up in the forums.
https://deckstats.net/decks/26164/368337-edh-krenko-s-suicide-squad
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 06:03:19 pm by AlltheTokens »