deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Jeska, Mother of Dragons  (Read 404 times)

JinRoh82

• Decks
Jeska, Mother of Dragons
« on: September 23, 2022, 09:42:25 am »
Jeska, Mother of Dragons

The plan is to swim under the radar for a while and then surprise the opponents with concentrated dragon power.

I have been tweaking the deck over and over again for some time now. Wanted to use this forum to ask you guys how I can improve it. I'm still hesitant about the manabase, as I don't own any of the trinomes or fetchlands yet.

I am looking forward to your opinion. :)

FinnernMagic

• Decks
Re: Jeska, Mother of Dragons
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 06:04:42 pm »
I have not played with Thrasios, Triton Hero and don't know if that allows the deck to run well with so few lands. I think i still would recommend to add 1-2 more lands because it always fills bad to miss land drops and not get to play.

With my concern for people playing low amounts of lands.
- Herald's horn are probably worse than an normal mana rock as it only affects 15 cards in your deck while a mana rock will affect all of your spells and activating Thrasios, Triton Hero too. With out top deck manipulation than you ar not too likely to get extra draw from Herald's Horn.  So my recommendation for a swap would be any 2 mana rock or Dragon's hoard.
- Electrodominance. I don't know that purpose you want it for, if its for a removal spell than you can find better. Don't know what to swap it for as I don't know your intent behind putting it into the deck.
- While Barbarian class is nice for your 2 dice rolling creatures I still think investing 6 man to get haste is too much and would probably swap it for a 3 mana enchantment that give haste like Rhythm of the Wild/fires of yavimaya/fervor. Still barberian class is not a bad card, you have to think about what you value most from its effects.
- Neyith of the Dire Hunt. I don't think you will have the time or mana to play out Neyith of the Dire Hunt, a dragon and pay for Neyith of the Dire Hunt ability. From my expirence of playing The Ur-Dragon dragon tribal, people don't like any number of dragons to stay on the table so From my Experience a dragon's expected life time on the table is short.
- Purphoros, God of the Forge is not a card i think about when you say fly under the radar. It's har to remove and deals alot of damage by just staying in play. Might not be a red flag card in your playgroup/ people you play with, but I and most people I know starts to focus and deal with players with Purphoros, God of the Forge on the table. Would maybe swap for a Scourge of Valkas
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter. Might be fine, but better if you can play at instant speed. Don't think you should cut it, but it's probably a card that will be cut at a later date when your list get's more tuned.

Some cards i like for the deck would be Sneak Attack, Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded, Defense of the Heart and Selvala's Stampede to Explosivly deploy a lot of dragons. A tip with sneak attack effects is that you can activate it at the opponent before you's end step as the trigger for sacrificing the creature is at the beginning of the next end step.

Your deck looks like to me that you have 2 game plans:
Step 1 (for both plans): make a lot of treasures and use that to win (magda, Brazen Outlaw or just play out things)
Step 2:
  - Deploy a lot of dragons and play Blasphemous Act or Starstorm with Wrathful Red Dragon on the table
  - Miirym, Sentinel wyrm/Lathliss, Dragon Queen with Dragon tempest/Terror of the Peaks for a lot of damage.

I also se that you have a way to make infinite colorless mana and Staff of Domination/ Thrasios, Triton Hero as payout.

All suggestions and comments are just my opinion and it is not wrong to disagree because i don't know your meta, your playstyle or what power level you want from the deck. Just a tip if you want more or better advice is to give us more of the context around the deck like what you like about the deck, what you want it to do, want kinds of deck you play against/ are trying to beat.

Hope some of the suggestions help :)
Am I even playing EDH if there is no dragons in the deck?

JinRoh82

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 10:04:28 pm »
Hey, thanks for the extensive feedback!

Sneak Attack is a great addition to the deck.
I would then add Eternal Witness and Noxious Revival to the deck as additional support. This would allow me to get back important dragons that have not yet been able to be copied.
I have now added an extra land to the deck with Stomping Ground.

Your point about Electrodominance is moot, as it's not really a instant or sorcery spell in the deck that's worth including.

And I like the barbarian class, because it gives me the possibility to improve the dice result with Ancient Copper Dragon and Ancient Bronze Dragon. Additionally, the class can be played quite early.

Rhythm of the Wild is also a good alternative. :)

You did a good job of analysing the strategy for the deck. :)

With Thrasios, Triton Hero, Herald's Horn, Oracle of Mul Daya and Sylvan Library there are good synergies, as Thrasios allows me to Scry 1 beforehand and thus control the library well.
I have now rebuilt it a little with your input.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 12:10:32 am by JinRoh82 »

FinnernMagic

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 05:09:45 pm »
Glad you found something you liked in the suggestion.

I still think Herald's horn is not as good as many people think for go big tribes like Dragons as you would have to play 2 dragon a turn for it to be better than a normal mana rock and Thrasios, Triton Hero do Scry 1 but after the scry you either draw the card or put the land into play so this will never help you put a dragon on top for Herald's horn. Oracle of Mul Daya and Sylvan Library does help you get a dragon on top. I would prefer a card that helps me cast 32 other cards and can color fix than a card that helps 15 cards and sometimes draws 1 additional card. But i do see that if you try to explode fairly by casting dragon than the -1 to cost can be really big.

If the Dice rolling is your primary focus for Barberian class than I agree, and yes it's nice to play early.
Am I even playing EDH if there is no dragons in the deck?

JinRoh82

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 10:30:12 pm »
I'm going to proxy Herald's Horn against Rhythm of the Wild or Defense of the Heart and test it in my playgroup.

A card that might be very interesting would be Genesis Ultimatum, Kindred Discovery or Crucible of Fire.

Thanks for your input.