deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What's the worst card you've ever put in a constructed deck?  (Read 976 times)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
What's the worst card you've ever put in a constructed deck?
« on: October 24, 2022, 01:21:04 pm »
I noticed the other night that one phrase that I keep uttering on game night is "This might be the worst card I've ever put in a commander deck".

Obviously they can't all be the worst and I'm being hyperbolic, but it does present an interesting question.

Sometimes we include cards that are bad in a vacuum but have other synergies that make them less bad. Things like Zuran Orb. Absolutely not worth a card slot if you're not doing broken things with it. Hell, I've even played Juju Bubble because it has other synergies.

What I want to know is what the worst card you ever put in a deck without it having those additional synergies or utility.

I'll offer some of mine without context. These are all cards I took the time to put in a sleeve, shuffle in among 98 other cards and tap my lands to unironically cast (or play, seeing as one of them is a land).

Giant Albatross
Marjhan
Bloodrage Brawler
Nantuko Shrine
Celestial Prism
Rhystic Cave
Call of the Nightwing
Aven Trooper

Does anyone have anything worse than those?

Bonethousand

• Decks
Re: What's the worst card you've ever put in a constructed deck?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 03:45:27 pm »
100% the worst card I used to run in a Naya big creatures deck for YEARS was Worldgorger Dragon. Thank God we didn't understand the stack back then, because this thing always caught a Doom Blade to the face the moment I played it.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 05:20:50 pm »
I've tried using Solemn Simulacrum a few times.

In all seriousness I did try using Reversal of Fortune in a deck where the focus was casting your opponents spells. It was terrible. There were a lot of times where the targeted player had no instants/sorceries in hand. If there was something, it was never worth the 6 mana. Jace's Mindseeker and Talent of the Telepath also had that problem.

I used Perplex for a while. Awful. It was mostly used as a tutor after a bit.

I thought that Timesifter could be fun. It was not.

Daring Thief was also in a "Steal opponents' things" deck. It either wouldn't attack, or it would die in combat.

anjinsan

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 09:27:11 pm »
Daring Thief works pretty well in my Nihiloor deck!  :D

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Happy Brewing!
:)

Dactylartha

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 10:53:30 pm »
I had Sindbad in my Tassigur deck for years. I only took it out this last week. I also use other bad cards for fun or whatever other reason but nothing ever got as much what???s as Sindbad

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 05:37:47 am »

Giant Albatross

This one has me stumped.  What kind of crazy thing were you trying to accomplish?
Entangler, Lure, Nemesis Mask, etc to board wipe?

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 09:57:38 am »

Giant Albatross

This one has me stumped.  What kind of crazy thing were you trying to accomplish?
Entangler, Lure, Nemesis Mask, etc to board wipe?

Yea this isn't too far removed from the reasoning.

I've actually played Giant Albatross in a few decks, but mostly in dumb shit like "Art I think is funny tribal", "Just real, earthly, non-magical creatures tribal" or "Mono blue old border only".

The one time I put it in a "proper" deck was in a Satoru Umezawa deck. I built a deck where the theme was "to block or not to block". Rather than just straight up unblockable creatures, I used creatures like Giant Albatross, Vicious Battlerager or Saprazzan Heir to make blocking possible, but with a trade off. The idea was the opponent had to weigh up whether or not the risk of a Satoru activation was scarier than the benefit I would get from being blocked.

In a shock twist that I'm sure nobody saw coming, the deck sucked. Blocking was always the least scary option (with the possible exception of bitterheart witch) and the upside I got from being blocked was never really enough to impact the game all that much. A cool idea, but unfortunately currently lacking the balance and support to make it viable. Maybe I'll revisit one day.

Even in this deck, Giant Albatross is objectively worse than just a deathtouch flyer like Bone Picker or something, but I liked that the decision point was on theme.

mynameiscalled

• I'm your one-man cult
    • MiseryBusinessMTG
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2022, 11:39:06 am »
I am playing the OG slow fetches in some of my commander decks. Rocky Tar Pit etc. I just love the art on them and they are not in a high power level decks so it's fine, but I still don't think you really should run any of them.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2022, 11:54:46 am »
Meishin, the Mind Cage

The effect is good. It prevents most combat, especially go-wide strategies. But it costs 7 mana?! I used to run it in my hand size matters deck and have actually cast it, too. The problem is: I can pretty much win with 7 mana. There's no point in stalling like this if I can just pull the trigger instead.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2022, 10:45:27 pm »
Probably a Henge of Ramos.  It's such a bad land, but when you build your first WUBRG deck, are on a really tight budget, and have a terrible card lying around that can add a man of any color, you do stupid things.

Bonethousand

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2022, 06:11:46 pm »
Can't tell you how many times I've screwed myself over with an Abjure in hand after my board has been decimated.