English-language Forums > Commander Discussion

4 player pod designed to make interesting high powered (but not CEDH) games

(1/1)

Al Rubyx:
Hi everyone! I'm blowing about 3-5 grand on some magic commander decks so I can have a pre-made pod always ready to go. I want each deck to have a pretty decent chance of winning, and each deck to win in entirely different ways. Right now I have: werewolves ( https://deckstats.net/decks/216889/2791564-awu ) which wins doing normal tribal creature combat stuff, mono-green omnath ( https://deckstats.net/decks/216889/2784142-omnath ) which wins with either voltron-style stuff with omnath himself, or craterhoof doing craterhoof things, and superfriends ( https://deckstats.net/decks/216889/2759813-superfriends ) which wins by ulting planeswalkers, or returning all walkers to the field on the same turn creating insane value. Are any one of these decks too over or underpowered for this idea? Are there any cards that I can swap out to make the games better? Most importantly, what should my 4th deck be? Stax is excruciating so I don't like that idea. Control could be a thing, but there's also not any true combo focused decks out of the 3. I was thinking urza LHA with artifacts and counterspells would be cool, but I would really, really like some input from others before I go down half a 5 figures just to realize omnath is bowling over every game, or werewolves never get started, or something.

AlltheTokens:
For deck number 4… you could do Token overrun with something like Chatterfang, or Krenko.  Actually a Rin and Seri, Inseperable deck might fit in with that bunch nicely.  I built a deck focused on the Extort mechanic recently that is pretty fun to play.  I used Oloro as the commander, but pretty much anyone with access to Black and White can do it.  I would still splash in either blue for a card draw or green for ramp.

Morganator 2.0:
A control deck is a good idea. You'll want something that's interactive. Every other deck so far has green in it, so something not green would balance pod composition nicely. I'm thinking something on the lines of Aminatou, the Fateshifter, Breya, Etherium Shaper, Merieke Ri Berit, Sen Triplets, or Tivit, Seller of Secrets. All of these can make for interesting control decks.

As for the decks you already have, you're going to want some ramp in them. 32 lands and 2 ramp pieces is not enough for the werewolves and planeswalkers. Omnath is fine, he's got a lot of ramp. That werewolf deck is also going to want some card draw, otherwise it'll get outpaced real fast.

That deck is probably going to get outpaced anyway, as werewolves are just a weaker theme than planeswalkers and Omnath bigstuff, so don't be scared to put a little more effort into the werewolf deck than the others.

Al Rubyx:

--- Quote from: Morganator 2.0 on November 09, 2022, 06:08:20 pm ---A control deck is a good idea. You'll want something that's interactive. Every other deck so far has green in it, so something not green would balance pod composition nicely. I'm thinking something on the lines of Aminatou, the Fateshifter, Breya, Etherium Shaper, Merieke Ri Berit, Sen Triplets, or Tivit, Seller of Secrets. All of these can make for interesting control decks.

As for the decks you already have, you're going to want some ramp in them. 32 lands and 2 ramp pieces is not enough for the werewolves and planeswalkers. Omnath is fine, he's got a lot of ramp. That werewolf deck is also going to want some card draw, otherwise it'll get outpaced real fast.

That deck is probably going to get outpaced anyway, as werewolves are just a weaker theme than planeswalkers and Omnath bigstuff, so don't be scared to put a little more effort into the werewolf deck than the others.

--- End quote ---

Hey thanks for all the suggestions! I really like the idea of a control tivit voting deck! I think that's my favorite suggestion so far, gonna look through the rec list for that.

How about jeska's will, sylvan library, a mana crypt, and wrenn and six (or maybe wrenn and seven) for wolves? I do already have guardian project, the great henge, vanquisher's banner, sol ring, arcane signet, the celestus, sword of feast and famine, rhona's monument, herald's horn, into the night, unnatural moonrise, and a couple wolves tap for mana in the way of mana reduction/draw/ramp and M.R./draw/ramp-like effects. Do I need even more? I do have a blood moon in there to hopefully slow down the other decks. Should I throw in a beast whisperer as well?

Superfriends is a little low on any sort of ramp. I thought it would keep the power level for it down, closer to wolves, but bricking isn't fun for anyone. Skyclave relic may just be wrong, but I love replicating ring because of all the proliferate. The elderspell is also probably wrong and good to cut.

Moonlight hunt is probably too low power for this idea, and moonmist doesn't transform daybound werewolves, so it's probably good to cut too.

Gaea's cradle is probably too good for omnath, and also taking up a bunch of my budget in one card. I can put a mana crypt in every deck for the price it is.

anjinsan:
I second something controllier. Depends of your playgroup I guess but stompy, stompy, planeswalkers doesn’t sound so fun to me; personally, if making four decks to play vs each other, I’d put in lots of interesting interactive cards that maybe aren’t good enough to be chosen for decks normally, e.g. voting cards and stuff. Atris, Oracle of Half-Truths, for example, could be great. I’d be thinking maybe Queen Marchesa, Tameshi, Reality Architect, or perhaps Alela, Artful Provocateur.

“Fun” is highly subjective of course but I think that interaction is key - but it doesn’t have to be all counterspells and removal. Your Omnath deck for example has like two removal cards and only four instants so it’s all going to be battlecruising out and hoping that it just flattens the other decks faster.

When designing four decks together you should think about how they interact too. Awakening for example is an interesting card in the Omnath deck because it would be good for it but also good for a hypothetical control deck that can operate more easily at instant speed, whereas the Superfriends might not want it. Same goes for looking at the removal and counterspells. Right now for example the Bridge deck pretty much just needs the mana for Eerie Ultimatum (difficult in 5c mind you) as there are no counterspells anywhere, and it’s hard for anyone to remove the Bridge when it comes out.

For example, if one deck is a Superfriends deck, should the green one feature, say, Questing Beast? Or, conversely, are such cards too effective vs their target deck? Or, colour hosers; for once, you know exactly how effective they will be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version