English-language Forums > Commander Deck Reviews

Baral's Compliant

(1/1)

PethamofZhalfir:
Baral's Compliant

So, I've been a blue player since I started playing this game in 2005. I only just started Commander as of last year. This was the first Commander deck I built. I get a lot of grief from my friends about how this deck works. But I wanted opinions outside of my personal circle. Is this the kind of deck you might like to play or play against? Do you think this deck is weak or powerful? Want some honest opinions on this deck. Please let me know.

Somewhitedude001:
"This deck is meant to control. Plain and simple." is the first line of your description, haha. Here's my only question- in your experience, does your deck actually win the game in a decent amount of time?

I've played against people who play control with no wincons on purpose, their "wincon" being other players quitting after 20+ turns 'cause they don't have any lands and can't resolve any spells. Those decks (and people) are unreasonable, and laughably unfun to play against. As long as your deck wins in a reasonable amount of turns, I wouldn't be that upset.

As for power? Honestly, if I'm comparing it to what I'd consider a "control" deck I'd call it mid-weak. You're running a bunch of weird, expensive interaction, a bunch of (CMC) expensive mana rocks, and a lot of non-control cards. It could be a lot worse, you could be running the pacts + force + fierce guardianship, negate, swan song, etc.

PethamofZhalfir:
All valid points. I understand this deck is a little more unorthodox compared to typical control decks. But if I'm honest, the Pacts and Fierce Guardianship and Swan Song and Negate never appealed to me as counterspelling options. Too restrictive. And, sure, there are some high mana costs in this deck. Hence the mana rocks and the mana reduction. Baral, Jace's Sanctum, and Wizards of Thay all decrease the cost of instants and sorceries while Sapphire Medallion decreases all blue spells' mana costs. Not to mention imprinting Sapphire Medallion on Prototype Portal allows as many copies of Sapphire Medallion as can be afforded. And with Sol Ring, Arcane Signet, and Isochron Scepter imprinted with Dramatic Reversal, there's an unlimited mana combo which can be operational as quickly as turn two. Or, there's Omniscience, which means most mana costs are ignored, which is worth paying 10 mana for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version