deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Some more feature suggestions  (Read 268 times)

HappyDay

• Decks
Some more feature suggestions
« on: November 28, 2022, 10:08:56 pm »
Hi,

First of all, thank you very much for the nice web application to manage mtg decks. Deckstats is a really handy tool, which I've been using for several years now. <3

Here are a few feature requests:
  • Custom subsections for the maybeboard. I'm mainly building commander decks. Usually, my process is to add 200-400 cards, which fit the theme I'm going for, sorted into different custom subsections of the main deck. Then, I move cards from the main deck into the maybeboard until I'm at 100 cards. At that point, the maybeboard is a big pile of unsorted cards. After a game or two, I get back to editing the deck and have to sift through 300 cards in the maybeboard to find cards to swap out with other cards in my deck. To help with organization, I often resort to moving a bunch of the better cards to my sideboard. This results in a sideboard that's often 50 cards+ and in a warning that the deck is no longer commander legal. In decks where the sideboard actually matters this obviously doesn't work. Long story short, it would make the editing experience a lot nicer, if we could add subsection to the maybeboard, the same way we can already do for the main deck.
  • More stats. Contrary to its name, Deckstats offers surprisingly few stats about the deck. Here are a few things, which I track for some decks in a separate excel sheet, just because I've never found a tool, which provides these stats. If it helps with implementing these features, I'll gladly provide the formulas for calculating these stats.
    • Creature types. Some decks really care about creature types. It would be nice to have a list of how many creatures of each creature type are in a deck.
    • Power and toughness distributions. Some cards/decks really care about the toughness and/or power of creatures. To help decide whether certain cards are worth including in the deck, an overview of how many creatures with each power/toughness value are in the deck would be handy.
    • Color distribution of cards with certain cmc. I might play three colors in my deck, with each color making up a third of the cards in the deck. However, this does not mean my mana base should be split equally in thirds. I might have lots of 1-2 drops of one color, whereas another color might have mainly cards with cmc 5+. To better match the mana base to the actual needs of a deck, it would be handy to have stats about the number of mana symbols for each color for specific cmc values. For some decks, I check the color distribution of all cards with cmc<=3 when deciding on which lands to include.
    • Number of lands entering the battlefield tapped. Pretty much self-explanatory. You don't want to play too many tap lands. A simple indicator would help to keep track.
    • The chance of having certain colors of mana at certain turns. This is huge for making sure your mana base supports casting your commander (or other spells) as early as possible. If your 4 cmc commander needs a black mana, but your chance of having access to a black mana in the first 11 cards is only 60%, you should check your land color distribution. Same goes for the chance to have at least 2 mana of a certain color by a certain point. Your deck might include lots of cards with 2 or 3 blue mana in the cost, but can your lands actually support that cost by a certain turn with a certain probability? That's vital to know, imo.
    • The chance to have at least x lands on turn y. I guess this is already possible to check via the "probabilities" tab. You have to enter your land count and hit calculate several times for different x to get a table view of the different probabilities. Seems to me like a really general stat that could easily live on a separate "mana base stats" page, together with a few of the other suggested features. :)
    • The number of cards with each color pair. This is a specific stat that Niv-Mizzet Reborn cares about. This is very specific to my favorite commander deck :P
  • Performance improvements. When working with decks with lots of cards, moving cards between categories can be really slow. Especially when moving cards to the maybeboard (see point 1.). The application just freezes for several seconds. I often switch to the text view just to move or add cards when there are already lots of cards in the deck. It seems like deckstats refreshes the entire subsection of cards when adding or removing one card. I'm sure that's technically not necessary, but I also know that refactoring such a core feature might be quite time consuming.

Apologies, if any of these suggestions have already been made dozens of times before, I have not searched the forums for each feature.

Thanks again for the awesome tool.
Have a happy day! :)
Have a happy day!