deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Mostly one-sided boardwipes  (Read 706 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Mostly one-sided boardwipes
« on: December 05, 2022, 07:41:45 pm »
I've been thinking a lot about boardwipes lately. Ideally you want your wipes to miss most of your stuff. And yet, I still see a lot of full wipes. So here are some situations you might find yourself in while deckbuilding, and some boardwipes to consider.

Your commander has low power: Sculpted Sunburst

Your creatures have abnormally high toughness: Anger of the Gods, Brotherhood's End, Toxic Deluge

You have a token deck: Perplexing Test

Various Tribal wipes: Crux of Fate, Harsh Mercy, Kindred Dominance, Whelming Wave

You're playing voltron: Chandra's Ignition, Divine Reckoning, Slash the Ranks

Cards that are already one-sided: Cyclonic Rift, Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, Ezuri's Predation, Fire Covenant, In Garruk's Wake, Mass Calcify, Ruinous Ultimatum

Was there anything I missed?

Landale

• Decks
Re: Mostly one-sided boardwipes
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 08:03:47 pm »
Crippling Fear, Noxious Ghoul, Solar Blaze, Wave of Reckoning, The Akroan War
Some are more gimmicky than others, but these are also able to be onesided.

anjinsan

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 10:02:20 pm »
I've often thought that Citywide Bust and Retribution of the Meek are underplayed. They're not exactly reliable as wipes (there is often small but scary stuff out there), but they can be very one-sided value removal pieces. Any -X or X damage spell will also sweep anything small and be great for high-toughness decks. Also Engulf the Shore (though Spectral Deluge is possibly better, seeing that it's already one-sided, but not instant-speed; Scourge of Fleets does this too).

Fell the Mighty and the new Mandate of Abaddon can be tuned to be pretty good for you.

Extinction Event is excellent. It's a bit hard to have it be perfect (you need to be, like, an Obosh deck playing vs a Gyruda deck, or vice versa) but you can always choose the better option which is usually a significant net win.

Time Wipe kills everything, but saves you a card (and is particularly great in ETB-focused decks).

I think you also forgot Extinguish All Hope.

The problem with almost all of these as wipes is that they're a bit situational or conditional. By running these, you're almost being a bit greedy, gambling on not needing a different/better/more thorough wipe in the hopes of retaining some value yourself - which isn't why one plays wipes in the first place. Personally, I'd aim always to run at least one real wipe, ideally something that gets around indestructible or is Supreme Verdict, but perhaps run some of these too, and perhaps more wipes overall since I'm less likely to be completely wiping myself.

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 07:26:13 am »
I like Single Combat for a (kind of) one-sided boardwipe if i'm playing voltron. It's also ideal if you're playing a lot against decks with many indestructible creatures, because the creatures have to be sacrificed. And i like Slaughter the Strong as well, it's als not exactly one-sided, but in the right deck (low power commander) it can be very good. It's very nice in Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle decks.

The problem with almost all of these as wipes is that they're a bit situational or conditional. By running these, you're almost being a bit greedy, gambling on not needing a different/better/more thorough wipe in the hopes of retaining some value yourself - which isn't why one plays wipes in the first place. Personally, I'd aim always to run at least one real wipe, ideally something that gets around indestructible or is Supreme Verdict, but perhaps run some of these too, and perhaps more wipes overall since I'm less likely to be completely wiping myself.

If it's possible to play a boardwipe that situational or conditional as you describe them, I like to do that. It's not just for the wipe, it's a piece to get in a much better position for the win. The way you describe a boardwipe is more preferable in a situation to prevent you from losing. So if you have deck that can profit from a 'precision boardwipe' i would prefer those, to prevent from wiping yourself like you say.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 07:39:03 am by paulusdeboself »

anjinsan

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 07:05:53 pm »
Right, that's what I'm saying: the primary reason for putting board wipes in is to "not lose". Often you're also gaining an advantage (you spend three cards to play three creatures, I only played one, so now I board wipe and you're down one card relative to me overall) but typically when you're already behind. This is why even creature-heavy decks run creature wipes, because sometimes you just don't succeed in your primary plan.

However putting in additional partial boardwipes as value pieces is another matter.

I also completely forgot to mention By Invitation Only which is often just a 5-mana board wipe that gets around indestructible but is also sometimes an (expensive) edict or super-edict effect when that suits you. Great for token/go-wide decks specifically, but also nice generally in that it's tuneable so it's almost always at least as good as a board wipe and sometimes better.

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 08:40:37 pm »
There are several like Martial Coup and Kirtar's Wrath and Phyrexian Rebirth that create a creature for you, but I don't really think that's what you're talking about.
There are also a bunch of cards like Novablast Wurm and Mageta The Lion and Myojin of Cleansing Fire that destroy all other creatures, that's a little better, but still probably not what your looking for.
There are a bunch of red spells like Earthquake and Subterranean Tremors that damage all creatures without flying.  They're great in a Dragon Deck, and I've seen them used nicely in Izzet Wizards where there was enough flying to be worthwhile.
Plague Wind and Dread Cacodemon are both really expensive but straight up one-sided board wipes.
There's Wash Out, which isn't really one sided but can usually take out one or two players pretty well.
Fight to the Death is really cool with Lure effects.
Austere Command can slot into high or low costed creature decks.
Kindred Dominance for any tribal decks.
Blood on the Snow or Slash the Ranks if you really just need one creature.
Solar Tide is flexible, high power, low power, or just full on board wipe.
Forced March for high mana value decks.
Mandate of Abaddon for go tall.
Blood Money can sort of be if you can put those treasures to good use (recasting, reanimating, etc.)
Dusk // Dawn for higher powered creatures (plus it gets back your low ones with the other side).
Liliana, Death's Majesty for Zombies.
A couple of the Elspeth planeswalkers do a one sided board wipe if you set them up correctly.
I sometimes use Ritual of Soot in a deck that's a little clunky just to slow everyone else down in the early game and let me catch up.
Hour of Reckoning for tokens.
Extinguish All Hope for decks that have a bunch of enchantment creatures.
Organic Extinction and Their Name is Death and Scourglass and the new Urza, Planeswalker for Artifact Creatures.
Righteous Fury or Sunblast Angel if you're in a combat heavy play group.  Really fun if you can goad everything.
Selfless Glyphweaver can turn any board wipe into a one sided one, but also has a one sided board wipe (Deadly Vanity) on the back if you just care about one creature.
Reiver Demon for artifact or black.
Winds of Rath for Aura heavy decks.
Spreading Plague is especially potent in an artifact deck though it can requires your opponents to wipe themselves, you can usually take out a color or two if you aren't completely colorless.
Fortunate Few can be surprisingly good in the right hands, especially if you're good at making deals and politicing.
Realm-Cloaked Giant for Giant tribal.
Wakening Sun's Avatar for Dino tribal.
Sivitri, Dragon Master for Dragon tribal.
And finnally, Hythonia the Cruel for all those Gorgon Tribal decks out there.

Bonethor

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 10:57:56 am »
A lot of good ones have been mentioned already. I wouldn't count this next one as a Voltron wipe but more of a control one in a spellslinger deck or similar; Promise of Loyalty. Sure it's not great if their most important creatures aren't meant to see combat but otherwise it's going to let them have something and at least they can't attack you or your planeswalkers with it.

Hard to come up with anything that hasn't already been said! There were a couple of interesting ones I wasn't aware of like Extinction Event (I have a Gyruda deck) and By Invitation Only also slipped through the cracks from recent sets.

Bonethousand

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 02:34:35 pm »
Only came here to say that I haven't heard the name Mageta the Lion in a MINUTE. Fond memories. Also, always gotta upvote my bone brother.