deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What are your favourite cards/mechanics that are fun for the whole table?  (Read 955 times)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
A long time ago, I made this deck:

https://deckstats.net/decks/132604/1566723-minigame-tribal

The idea was to fill it full of fun games of bluff, chance and decision making. It worked perfectly and was a lot of fun to play.

I'm in the process of expanding the deck into Grixis, with more of a focus on things that are fun for the whole table rather than just fun for me.

The bare bones of what I have so far can be seen in this deck:

https://deckstats.net/decks/132604/2752297-table-fun

It's not 1 for 1 with what I currently have sleeved up, but is close enough to give you an idea of what kind of thing I'm trying to achieve. I'll try and get the list updated soon.

I've played a few games with it and it is doing exactly what I want. Fun for the whole table.

Some cards that have absolutely shined:

Measure of Wickedness - One of the main reasons I built the deck. Hot potato is so much fun
Pain's Reward - The second main reason I built the deck. The amount of life I'm willing to pay to draw 4 is a lot.
Fact or Fiction - The third main reason I built the deck. Always fun to resolve.
Takklemaggot - gets a lot of "WTF is that?", but once your brain has parsed the oracle text, it's a lot of fun
Triskaidekaphobia - Get this down early and everyone tends to try and attack in the right place to make it happen. Inadvertently gets the game moving.
Hidetsugu's Second Rite - The main reason I added red. Haven't pulled it off yet, but will do one day.
Wheel of Misfortune - The other main reason I added red. Always fun to resolve.

The deck also looks to introduce the monarch and initiative too because they're always fun for everyone.

With all that in mind, I'd like to hear from you about cards you like that fit this theme. What cards do you like that are always fun for the table?

Please note that I am not precious about my commander choice. I only chose Evelyn because she is in the right colours and is kinda like Gonti, and I love Gonti. If you have recommendations in white or green I can easily change.

Landale

• Decks
Re: What are your favourite cards/mechanics that are fun for the whole table?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 03:59:05 am »
Share the Spoils gets kind of silly sometimes.
Do you take the land someone put in the pile since you could always use more? How about that Chaos Warp? Maybe that blue player just threw a Counterspell into the pile to let you say no to them saying no? Do you just spite play something to keep it away from someone else? Do you just ignore the pile so no more of your cards get tossed in?

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 08:44:59 am »
Thank you Landale.

That is a fantastic suggestion and exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. Instantly ordering one. Card looks insanely fun for the table. Can't believe I missed it.

Thanks again.

mynameiscalled

• I'm your one-man cult
    • MiseryBusinessMTG
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 09:04:59 am »
Firstly, not a specific card, but I would recommend adding become a monarch into the deck; by far my most favorite mechanic that just introduces this whole new layer/minigame to the table.

And maybe some cards for consideration:

Temple Bell
Mass Hysteria/Concordant Crossroads
Crescendo of War
Bitter Feud
Crown of Doom
Braids, Conjurer Adept
Karona, False God
Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis
Folio of Fancies
Hypergenesis
Collective Voyage
Tempt with Discovery
Plea for Power

Maybe something will tickle your fancy.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 04:19:54 pm »
Is Seize the Spotlight what you're looking for?

anjinsan

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2022, 07:18:15 pm »
I love all these sorts of cards (go Atris!) and have started making a list of them.

I'm not really big on "all players draw" effects or similar; they don't really do anything interesting, they just accelerate everyone and are usually flat-out bad for you. Braids at least creates an unusual and exciting effect, though why not Dream Halls instead? Concordant Crossroads et al probably just mean that the dumb value decks can kill you very quickly, before anyone has time to care about the interesting politicking, bluffing or metagaming you're trying to do. Crescendo of War is pretty fun though and really changes the game in slightly more unique way.

I definitely second the monarch and the initiative. Sadly there are limited good ways to introduce these, especially the initiative. I quite like Stirring Bard who can then be used politically too if you so wish, but Bloodboil Sorcerer could be interesting in the right deck and I want to like Loot Dispute.

Share the Spoils is one I've still never tried, though Knowledge Pool is one of my all-time favourites. KP gets a bit of a bad rep because you can just combo lock with it, which seems like a very lame way to waste such an interesting card! However it's a bit easier to break parity on than Share the Spoils - there are many ways to get value out of it, and all the while it really makes people think about their plays. The other card in this vein is Shared Fate. All of these are particularly good if you're running other fun and interesting cards like Fact or Fiction, because now other people can/must play these too, instead of whatever boring powerful cards they have in their decks!

AlltheTokens

• Decks
I know some people do not like it, but I love what Teferi’s Puzzle Box does to a game.  Seeing new cards every turn is exciting.  It favors reactive decks a bit, and it helps combo players find things faster, but forces them to put the combo pieces out one at a time rather than gathering them in their hand and dumping them all at once with counter support.

Landale

• Decks
I know some people do not like it, but I love what Teferi’s Puzzle Box does to a game.  Seeing new cards every turn is exciting.
By itself it's fine. The problem is it's almost never by itself and becomes "seeing no cards ever".

anjinsan

• Decks
They should probably have made wheel effects put cards into hand rather than drawing tbh.