deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Modern Mono Black Deck  (Read 327 times)

devcook53

• "Say when." - Daddy Doc Holiday
  • Decks
[Modern] Modern Mono Black Deck
« on: January 04, 2023, 08:06:04 am »
Modern Mono Black Deck

My first ever IRL deck.

StevenOs

• Decks
Re: [Modern] Modern Mono Black Deck
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 05:45:51 pm »
I'm not sure if you want any comments and thought or what you consider an available card pool to choose from but I have some anyway.

The strategy seems to involve seeing your own stuff die and then bring it back to life but I'm seeing some issues as everything seems less efficient.  I'm wondering how you'll make it to the long game and cast the 5CM+ cards.

Shizo, Death's Storehouse:  You only have the one legendary creature to take advantage of this and it already has evasion in the form of flying; a big risk if you draw multiples.

Whip of Erebos:  What are you hoping to lifelink?  The return to the battlefield ability is expensive so what are you gaining?  This also hits that question of being legendary but is it that vital that you need four?

Army of the Damned:  Nice effect but are you going to make it to eight and then ten mana?

Raise Dead:  An ancient card that has never seen much play.  What are you hoping to raise?  The Cavalier is the only real target as you can bring back Ebondeath other ways and if you are looking at bring back the smaller stuff you might consider Unearth which will put them right into play.

Gravecrawler:  I'd love to have four of these for a Zombie deck but where are your zombies?  Without more zombies it is pretty hard to keep bringing these back turn after turn which I assume is what you'd like.

eomereolsson

• Decks
Re: [Modern] Modern Mono Black Deck
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 07:22:56 pm »
To add to the above points you should really never run Murder in a modern deck. The most common black removal spells in modertn are Fatal Push and Dismember. Mana efficency is key. For this reason you also sometimes see Cut Down crop up, though I personally dislike it as it can't kill an online Dragon's Rage Channeler.
Though Fatal Push needs Fetch Lands like Marsh Flats or similar to reliably enable Revolt. If these are not available for budget reasons, there are still plenty of two mana removal spells. At the cost of two life Infernal Grasp kills anything. That's the one I'd recommend. Otherwise there is great amount of two mana removal that kills a lot but not everything like Shriekmaw (two mana only if evoked, but extra value if you draw it late in the game), Doom Blade, Go for the Throat, Cast Down, Power Word Kill, ...
Lastly for three mana there is Hero's Downfall which is just strictly superior to Murder and since it was recently reprinted at uncommon really not much strain on the budget. Not strictly better than Hero's Downfall but in my opinion still superior to it is the Swift End half of Murderous Rider.
Though to reiterate, mana efficancy is key, so I'd run at most two 3 Mana removal spells and the rest for less mana.