deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Primer] Utopian Draconom(wall)icon (Casual EDH)  (Read 1181 times)

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
[Primer] Utopian Draconom(wall)icon (Casual EDH)
« on: January 07, 2023, 02:51:51 am »
This is my first Primer for my The Ur-Dragon EDH deck, combined with Defenders, "Dragon Phalanx" and Bolster, designed for casual EDH play. I wanted to make it fun, original and interesting to other people. I am open to suggestions and criticism in order to make this Primer better.

https://deckstats.net/decks/9282/347720-utopian-draconom-wall-icon#show_description

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: [Primer] Utopian Draconom(wall)icon (Casual EDH)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 09:11:58 pm »
Alright, so I'm going to be providing feedback on both the deck and the primer itself.

Primer first. You've only really scratched the surface of what a primer is supposed to look like. It's supposed to be a guide on how to play a certain deck, strategy, or commander. At minimum, it needs to include a description of the game-plan, how the deck wins games, and then discussion on why you included certain cards and excluded others. You should (but don't necessarily need to) include other things like the deck's strengths and weaknesses, budget or more expensive alternatives, and starting hand selection. You should also include what kind of games this deck is meant for. Is this a budget deck? Is it meant to be an example of a strong Ur-Dragon deck.

While you did include the first three parts, they're scattered around the primer and they're all lacking substance. You explained that in the early game you're going to be playing cards with defender to serve as blockers. Then what? Is combat damage the only win-condition, and if so, do you have any suggestions on how the pilot should go about this?

You've listed a lot of the cards you're using, but you didn't list why you're using them as opposed to any of the other cards you could use. Why are you using those three cards from the command cycle as opposed to the other 7? Or instead of the other options you have for removal/protection? Likewise, you listed cards you're excluding, but not why. Why aren't you using Niv-Mizzet, Parun? It seems like a good fit for this deck. You don't need to include these cards just because I think you should be using them, but you do need to explain why that card isn't a good fit. Is the mana cost too restrictive? Is it outside the deck's budget? Or does the deck already have a card that works better than that choice.

This primer is going to need a lot of polish. I would recommend looking at the format that other primers use, and do something similar. Some examples.

These are good general formats for primers. You're welcome to do your own thing, but it should have some sense of structure so readers can navigate to different parts. Sometimes they're going to be working on their own Ur-Dragon list, and they just want to know why you choose a certain card, so they can figure out if they should use it. Or they are going to want to see what your combo/win-condition is so they can try to improve their combo/win-condition. The reader should be able to easily jump to these sections.

Now onto the decklist. A big thing I see is that you're trying to do multiple things at once instead of focusing a strategy. You want to do dragon tribal, +1/+1 counters, and creatures with defender. Focusing your strategy will do wonders for this deck.

I still don't understand why you want to include so many cards with defender. The reason you gave is because the deck is slow so you need to defend yourself in the early turns. But most of the creatures with defender don't have reach or flying and the dragons have better power and toughness. That and they have no synergy with The Ur-Dragon, so the dragons are just all-around better for this task. Wouldn't it be better to include mana ramp and card draw so you're not as slow in the early game, or just include more dragons as they are better blockers and have synergy with the deck?

Belltoll Dragon, Herdchaser Dragon, and Shieldhide Dragon are all part of a cycle that also includes Acid-Spewer Dragon and Stormwing Dragon. Do you also want to include these cards?

The deck has very little mana ramp or card draw and has a high curve. Around what turn can you get The Ur-Dragon onto the battlefield? How often do you end in top-deck mode?

I'd also like to know why you're not using these cards.

Arcane Signet
Atarka, World Render
Chromatic Lantern
Dragon's Fire
Dragon's Hoard
Dragon Tempest
Dragonlord's Servant
Haven of the Spirit Dragon
Hellkite Charger
Hellkite Courser
Herald's Horn
Kindred Discovery
Kindred Summons
Orb of Dragonkind
Savage Ventmaw
Scaled Nurturer
Scourge of Valkas
Secluded Courtyard
Sol Ring
Sunscorch Regent

I'd also like you to explain why you're using these cards.

Arvad the Cursed
Atla Palani, Nest Tender
Chorus of the Conclave
Perimeter Captain
Souls of the Faultless