deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Please help me improve/evaluate my commander (Florian+Dragon's Approach) deck !  (Read 524 times)

Anagami

• Decks
This rakdos commander deck focuses around Florian, Voldaren Scion and Dragon's Approach.

https://deckstats.net/decks/205349/2884278-florian-s-approach/fr

The goal is to effectively burn the opponent/s and tutor for some big dragons to finish them up !

I have a fue combos : Thrumming Stone (spells get ripple 4 which is good cause I run 25 Dragon's Approach), Pyromancer Ascension ; as well as important cards to add damage : Thorban ; or ramp with : Storm Kilhn artist, Neheb the eternal, signets...

The deck was inspired by Josh Lee Quai's Florian, though mine has a more significant amont of creatures in it (which i entend to keep) and is cheaper...

Can you help me power up that deck a little ? Evaluating it would be nice too  :)
I'm usually a casual player but I'd like to make a power 6 out of this (or more if not too expansive).

DDaniDMrt

• Decks
Hi fellow player captivated by dragon's approach! Definitely gonna build a deck with them as well, one day. I'd probably choose Syr Carah, the bold though, or Tor Wauki the Younger, due to pure simple preference.

I'm no one in term of deckbulding skills, I've no real idea of how to properly adress your issues.I'm repling only because I like your deck!;)
I'm sure you are having lot of fun playing it with friends!

A quick piece of advice: it would be wonderful of you to sort out your deck in categories...
Something Like...:
- card advantage
- early ramp
- late mana
- big dragons
- target removal
- mass removal
- main strategy (for the like of trobran, kessig flamebreather, thrumming stone...)
- lands

The final result should be so much easier to evaluate for others, and therefore easier for you to obtain ideas and advice.

Checking quickly your deck I found some cards that really puzzle me. But you put them in because you like them, so is obviuosly perfectly fine to keep them in.

I would probably remove:
Tribal flames (there are better option for targeted removal)
The stasis coffin (but I guess it depends on your meta, maybe having protection from everything is real key in your pod)
Lightning Phoenix (really cute sinergy with the dragon's approach thing, but I find it not useful)
Bloodsworn steward (buffing commander is always nice, but do you really need it?)
Ashenmoor liege (as above)

None of these have to be removed, expecially if you find enjoiable playing your deck as it is.
But I think, and I'm gonna say something really simple, that if you want to pursue the road of empowerment for your deck, the main way is either investing money, or a lot of focus on specific strategy, without any room for fun cards.

It would not be fair to suggest you what to cut without some ideas of what to bring in. I think your deck lack a bit of early ramp. Something else you could play at turn two.
But the pieces I would really really test are cards like cathartic reunion, faithless looting and thrill of possibilities. Cards like these should help you fill your gy more quickly with dragon's approaches and to have therefore your dragon's entering the battlefield earlier. You play sickening dreams, so you should know if discarding cards is useful or not. And I think it should be.
But maybe I'm wrong

Hope to have written something at least a bit useful

Have fun!

Anagami

• Decks
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 04:02:09 pm by Anagami »

Anagami

• Decks
Hey! Thanks a lot for your comment, you're really helping me out!

I didn't know about that card: Tor Wauki the Younger, I added it in my main cause it's excellent synergy. I guess the reason I don't make it (or Syr Carah) my commander is because I prefer low CMC commanders and I like the card draw that goes along with Florian.

I had some cards replaced according to your post (and yes, I really get some value discarding cards, so thx helping me realize that!). I also recently found out about Wound Reflection which fits perfectly, and I'm considering getting rid of Painfull Quandery ... not so sure though x)
My deck definitely lacks target removal and I thought putting lots of boardwipes would help, but not so much, it turns out! I'll try to fix that too.

(my deck has been edited and my cards sorted out for more clarity!)

Edit : that new spoiler from phyrexia just came out and it's perfect ! -> Solphim, Mayhem Dominus.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 07:41:02 pm by Anagami »

Meister_Ente

• Decks
I think this looks pretty good, although personally I'd swap Mishra and his Dragon Engine for Utvara Hellkite and Bladewing the Risen. Mishra doesn't really fit into the deck because he's more into swarming and in Commander merged creatures are always such a thing... You only have both once and if only one fits thematically then it doesn't do that much.

(I certainly didn't want to link this Dragon Engine, but Deck Stats does what it wants xP)

Anagami

• Decks
Lol, thanks for the reply! I see what you mean, it kinda hurts to get rid of Mishra because it's good, and I opened it ><
Sometimes my commander plays out pretty aggressively (or it did, back when I'd boost him up with Bloodsworn Steward) and Mishra would prove useful too!

I guess this is not the point anymore. So I'll definitely trade Mishra and the Engine with at least one of those dragons (maybe not Utvara Hellkite, because the card is expensive and Bladewing the Risen's effect is cool since I discard some cards... !) and make a room for Solphim, Mayhem Dominus :)

Meister_Ente

• Decks
It's true that Utvara is quite expensive... So I better not mention Ancient Copper Dragon and Balefire Dragon ;)

But I'm not into expensive cards myself, so I would recommend Tyrant's Familiar. The high mana cost are a problem, but not with Dragon's Approach or Bladewing the Risen. You need your commander, but the you can remove most creatures easily.

Bladewing's Thrall may be a useful addition to, but it has to be in the graveyard to be truly useful because you don't want to cast it.