deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Need help trading off a valuable card  (Read 739 times)

ttv.lifebl00dx

• budget casual player, average monke with cards
    • my twitch (I play games)
  • Decks
Need help trading off a valuable card
« on: January 25, 2023, 05:25:05 pm »
I pulled a kaladesh masterpieces mana crypt off of a single booster a while ago that I'm very proud of, but I'm now looking to sell it/trade it but my local gamestore isn't interested in buying it and I don't exactly trust ebay and the likes. Any reccomendations?

P.S. I've talked to a person or two interested in buying but they think I don't know what I have (marketed at about 900-1000 USD) and always try to undersell me, so I'm not too sure about selling to someone at a local store.
LIFEBL00D sends her regards.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
Re: Need help trading off a valuable card
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 06:46:28 pm »
You can probably say them that it's 800€ around in Card Market in all the major stores. Show them the card. Receive payment in cash. Nice hit from a booster. 800€ is around $870. Some stores however go lower from 670€ to 700€. It's however you want money still. Try to negotiate good price. I believe everything will be resolved and you'll get the money and sell the card.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 06:48:47 pm by Elan Morin Tedronai »

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 10:48:16 pm »
A card is only actually worth what someone is willing to pay you for it.

If your LGS doesn't want it, your only options are to sell directly to someone, or to sell online.

I have bought and sold on ebay.  Recently, there are a lot more counterfeit cards on ebay.  But the risk is with buying.  When you're selling a legitimate card, there is no problem.  For high value cards (>$250) ebay does now require that your cards get shipped to their authentification service first.  Then they ship to the buyer.  This could be easier for you.  Ebay will take a percentage of the sale as a fee.  This can be a good option if you ultimately want cash in your bank account.

I have also sold cards to TCGplayer.com as a trade-in.  They are currently buying Kaladesh Masterpiece Mana Crypt for about $650.  There won't be any fees taken out; you will get that entire amount.  This can be a good option if you want money (store credit) to buy more Magic cards.

Happy Brewing!
:)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 10:53:26 pm »
my local gamestore isn't interested in buying it and I don't exactly trust ebay and the likes. Any reccomendations?

Game stores typically don't like buying these cards because they are really hard to sell. It takes a specific person to want to buy a fancy version. If you happen to have a really big game store in the area, one that goes to pro tours or the like, then they will be more likely to buy it off you. Just remember that you're not going to sell them at market value, as the stores will want to sell it at a profit.

If you're not willing to sell them online then it's going to be hard for you to sell this. Why don't you want to use these services?

P.S. I've talked to a person or two interested in buying but they think I don't know what I have (marketed at about 900-1000 USD) and always try to undersell me, so I'm not too sure about selling to someone at a local store.

Set a firm price that you won't go lower on. If they have a history of trying to undersell, don't let them haggle you lower than that minimum. If the minimum that you're willing to sell it at is $900, say you're selling it for $950. Then you can let them "talk you into" selling it for $900.

Bonethousand

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 03:51:37 pm »
I would strongly suggest the Facebook group MTG Sick Deals. There's a really strong community of all different levels of buyers/sellers. There are amateurs selling off $1-5 cards, as well as sharks moving $10-20k collections and Alpha/Betaq rares. They often post reference threads and the community is really tight and responsive. The only catch is that you have to list your items at 10% below the TCG low price (still a much better deal than selling to a distributer, which will only give your up to like 60-70% a card's worth).