deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Legacy] Counter Time  (Read 442 times)

SpeedyChunkArmy

• Decks
[Legacy] Counter Time
« on: January 27, 2023, 05:50:39 am »
Counter Time Do I have enough land? I always feel like I don't draw lands nearly enough

eomereolsson

• Decks
Re: [Legacy] Counter Time
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 03:38:09 pm »
You don't have too few lands - 24 is a pretty normal number for most formats and on the higher side for legacy - you have too many spells. Your deck has almost 70 cards in it but a land count normal for a 60 card deck. Of course you are going to feel like your lands to spells ratio is off.

The first step in improving your deck would be cutting it down to 60 cards. Then you should probably look to increase consistency by playing more playsets and fewer one- or two-offs.

Finally you need to realize that what you are trying to do is just in no way competitive in the actual legacy meta. What are you trying to actually do here? If you are trying to build a kitchen table deck with cards you have lying around my further advice will be radically different compared to you trying to go to actual legacy tournaments. Because the brew you have got going will probably even get stomped at the local FNM level, nevermind the larger events.

Draco88

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 04:40:59 pm »
Very good advice posted above. I know little about tournament formats, but I also know that deck wouldn't even be competitive on the table top with my playgroup.

I would reitetate the advice above and go a step further to say reevaluate your mana curve, also. There are a lot of expensive casting costs in that deck. You might be able to get a couple of your one and two drops out, but you have to wait until turn four or five before you even have the ability to play most of your deck.
By that time, most aggro players are swinging hard for damage, maybe even swinging for lethal while most mid range players have their board state set for what they want to do and you'll find yourself trying to play catch up.

Not if, but when, you cut cards from your deck, I would start with some of those very high cmc cards and try to bring more balance into your mana curve.

If you insist on keeping those cards, that's fine, too. In that case, restructure the cards in the bottom half of your mana curve to include lots of mana ramp. The deck already has green and green is fantastic for ramp.

Just my $0.02 from a tabletop, non tournament perspective.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 05:00:17 pm by Draco88 »

SpeedyChunkArmy

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 06:54:06 pm »

Revision 3

Added/removed cards:
-1 Basri's Acolyte
-1 Enduring Scalelord
-1 Patron of the Valiant
-1 Rampaging Monument
-1 Sunhome Stalwart

Changed amounts:
-1 Durable Handicraft
-2 Monk of the Open Hand
-1 Retreat to Kazandu

How does this look? I changed the deck tag from legacy to casual as I have little to no intentions of playing this deck competitively. Thanks for all the advice, it really helps since I’ve only been playing for a month or so
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 06:57:40 pm by SpeedyChunkArmy »

eomereolsson

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 06:10:13 pm »
This deck looks a lot more reasonable. I'm not really into kitchen table magic so I can't really give you any advice. Just run this deck for a while and see how it plays out.

If you still feel that you need to improve your deck to match the power level of your playgroup, these would be my next steps:

Get some ramp - ramp is roughly defined as getting ahead of the expected available mana of dropping one land per turn. The plan is that by spending your early turns ramping you can then do your powerful and expensive (mana wise) stuff earlier than your opponent can do theirs. There are some cheap (money wise) yet still great options out there, for example Llanowar Elves, Elvish Mystic or Avacyn's Pilgrim. There are even some options that combine ramp with the +1/+1 counter theme you have got going on like Rishkar, Peema Renegade.

Get some interaction - roughly defined as the ability to interact with your opponents game plan or game pieces. From the looks of it, your deck is doing its thing and lets your opponent's do its thing. That will work if your draw is better than your opponents or the thing your deck is doing is simply stronger than the thing your opponent's deck is doing. But what if that's not the case? Typically decks run some amount of cards that allow them to disrupt what their opponent is doing to give themselves a fighting chance in that case.
Cankerbloom or Knight of Autumn allow you to destroy artifacts or enchantments if necessary while also contributing to your +1/+1 counter theme if your opponent does not have any of those. Disenchant also allows you to destroy artifacts and enchantments and does it even better than the previously mentioned cards. However oftentimes your opponent's won't have any of those around which makes Disenchant just do nothing - the creatures are still creatures though.
You can reasonably expect your opponent to have creatures in their deck. So contrary to artifact or enchantment removal you don't really need to worry about the case where opponent doesn't. The first card that comes to mind is Swords to Plowshares - arguably the best creature removal in the game and still pretty cheap (both in money and mana ;) ). Other considerations (especially if you don't want to risk triggering a power level arms race in your play group) could be Destroy Evil or Valorous Stance. Dromoka's Command even has synergy with the +1/+1 counter theme.

SpeedyChunkArmy

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 06:44:53 am »
Thanks for the incredible advice! I’m playing a different version of this deck while I wait for some cards. I’ll be sure to come back and give an update on the deck and how it plays!