deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: 3rd edition  (Read 765 times)

Pipo77

• Decks
3rd edition
« on: February 12, 2023, 04:47:09 pm »
Hello,
I'm putting some order in my cards and I have a problem with attributing the right edition for a few cards.
I bought cards boxes in 1995. Some have a white border and also a copyright date:1994. I looked over and they can't be Unlimited or Revised due to the copyright date. They can't be 4th edition because this one should have 1995 copyright date. So they must be third edition...
Problem: on cardmarket (for example) they don't have this third edition listed... Neither does it appear on Wizards...
In what edition should I list them ?

Pipo77

• Decks
Re: 3rd edition
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 04:48:50 pm »
Another detail: they are in french

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 04:56:00 pm »
Revised Edition was printed in English in 1993.  French wasn't printed until 1994.
French language with a copyright of 1994 is Revised Edition.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Pipo77

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 05:08:44 pm »
Thank you!
Revised shouldn't be without copyright date?
I saw on card market that they have a “Foreign White bordered" edition. Could that correspond?

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 05:30:45 pm »
Thank you!
Revised shouldn't be without copyright date?

WotC started putting a copyright date on cards in 1994.  Revised was printed in English in 1993.  English Revised does not have a copyright date on the card.  Revised edition was printed in French in 1994.  French Revised does have the copyright date on the card.  The print runs in these two languages was not as simultaneous as it is these days.

I saw on card market that they have a “Foreign White bordered" edition. Could that correspond?

Very well could be.  It is not a precise designation.  In the early days, it could be difficult to distinguish among the various core set editions of foreign cards.  Copyright dates do not necessarily match English printings.  There are the Renaissance expansion sets, which is basically a Chronicles for foreign cards.  It caused a lot of confusion.  Many online sellers resorted to classifying foreign cards as FWB (foreign white border) and FBB (foreign black border).
Happy Brewing!
:)

Pipo77

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 05:44:12 pm »
Thank you very much for the precisions ! Have a nice sunday !

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 05:43:00 pm »
You have what's called a Foreign White Bordered (FWB) card. There also exists a Foreign Black Border (FBB) Edition.
They count as Revised cards, although they don't look like English Revised cards.
I personally own a French Basalt Monolith that looks exactly how you say, it even has the 4th Edition TAP symbol (instead of the tilted 'T' used in Revised) but, as you may know, there is no Basalt Monolith in 4th Edition.
Moreover, I'm Italian and I can tell you that at the beginning in my country (and I assume that was the case for all foreign languages across Europe) Magic: the Gathering was published by a national company: Stratelibri.
Of course, Wizards of the Coast held the copyright, but the actual printing was up to Stratelibri, that's why the first editions are not quite aligned.
For instance, I own an Italian White Bordered Sacrifice (another Revised card that's not in 4th Edition) and its copyright is dated 1995 (unlike French White Bordered).