deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Thran Portal and Monument to Perfection  (Read 942 times)

Jesterskull

• Decks
Thran Portal and Monument to Perfection
« on: January 27, 2023, 10:51:02 pm »
recently updated my Isshin deck to see what we could do with Monument to Perfection.

And I realized that Thran Portal might count to the Monument to Perfection. (Because Thran becomes choice basic land type.)

Am I right or wrong on this?

https://deckstats.net/decks/114065/2420480-isshin-of-the-yakuza-gate-vers#show__spoiler

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: Thran Portal and Monument to Perfection
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 11:55:32 pm »
You would be correct.  Thran Portal will gain any basic land type upon entering the battlefield.  Its name is still Thran Portal.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 06:16:26 am »
Wouldn't it be better if you post your EDH deck in the Commander Discussion forum?

anjinsan

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 12:56:01 am »
You would be correct.  Thran Portal will gain any basic land type upon entering the battlefield.  Its name is still Thran Portal.
It gains the basic land type, but it’s not actually a basic land (the same as e.g. Tundra), and it looks like only basic lands count. Otherwise Urborg, Tomb to Yawgmoth could turn this on by itself.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 01:00:35 am »
It gains the basic land type, but it’s not actually a basic land (the same as e.g. Tundra), and it looks like only basic lands count. Otherwise Urborg, Tomb to Yawgmoth could turn this on by itself.

I stand corrected.  Upon closer read of Monument to Perfection ... Thran Portal will not assist. 
#RTFC
Happy Brewing!

anjinsan

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 08:02:28 pm »
Conversely, though, if you could find a way to change a basic land's name or create a basic land with a different name (or a Locus or Sphere), then that would count. For example, turn one into an artifact and then use Mishra, Eminent One, or turn one into a creature then copy it with Sakashima the Imposter.

I believe that doing something like Magical Hack would not benefit you at all; you could create an Island that is called Plains or whatever, but it was already called Plains, so you likely haven't gained anything.

Jesterskull

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 02:12:24 am »
Mishra, Eminent One would help with Artifact creatures, Since I mixed in Mechtitan Core recently to "extend my reach".

But then I wouldn't have access to white and these new mite cards. (was dipping but now splashing into infect)

Jesterskull

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2023, 03:04:10 pm »
rereading this a month later and seeing that I missed the correction..... And now don't believe this.

Thran Portal gains the needed basic condition. 

(I feel like I am right on this.)

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2023, 05:26:11 pm »
rereading this a month later and seeing that I missed the correction..... And now don't believe this.

Thran Portal gains the needed basic condition. 

(I feel like I am right on this.)

Monument to Perfection looks for a specific quality of three different things - spheres, loci, and basics.  Of these, Sphere and Locus are both subtypes.  No confusion there.  Basic is a supertype.  The monument will not count Tropical Island as the name of a basic land with the Forest type, as Tropical Island does not have the Basic supertype.  Similarly, while Thran Portal will gain a type of basic land, it will NOT gain the supertype of basic.

I misread it the first time too.  I feel like Monument to Perfection is poorly worded, in that it contains a list of things that you then look for a sub-quality within that list.  But the primary list contains things that are not alike.  Two are subtypes, one is a supertyple.
Happy Brewing!