deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Communal land base for four WUBRG decks - advice?  (Read 350 times)

Casual EDH Beardo

• Decks
Communal land base for four WUBRG decks - advice?
« on: March 12, 2023, 03:36:31 am »
Hi, everyone. I'm hoping someone out there might have some wisdom to offer on this  :)

When Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty brought the new set of shrines, it was finally time to make the pile of shrines I already had lying around into a deck. This would be my first five colour deck and, since a decent land base is quite expensive, I got the idea to make a communal land base to use in several decks, since I had ideas for other WUBRG decks. I have a deck box with four decks sleeved up in identical sleeves, with some communal cards, and the list of those cards, in one end of the box. So far, I've only finished and played the following two:

https://deckstats.net/decks/159318/2431313-the-shrining-go-shintai-of-lif

https://deckstats.net/decks/159318/2421230-tribal-tribal-knows-no-bounds-

NB: I'm about to make a few changes to this deck.

The communal cards are (at the moment):

10 fetch lands
10 shock lands
5 triomes (considering the new "triomes")
Exotic Orchard
The World Tree
Bloom Tender
Dryad of the Ilysian Grove
Lotus Cobra
Nature's Lore
Three Visits
Farseek
Utopia Sprawl
Smothering Tithe
Rhystic Study
Heroic Intervention
(Beast Within)
(Generous Gift)

I'm currently putting the finishing touches on my The Ur-Dragon deck, as the third of the set, while The First Sliver will spearhead the fourth and last.

As the subject indicates, I'm not really looking for advice on the decks as a whole (, though I'm obviously open to interesting card suggestions and composition input, but I would prefer if you'd post that under the deck in question), what I'm mainly after is advice from people who have experience piloting WUBRG decks, on the land base.

I've not really gotten to play them that much yet and, when I have, I've been targeted early because the land base is "scary", despite the decks not being built to be super optimized. This, in combination with the land base itself costing me a chunk of life, with the fetches and shock lands, has put me somewhat on the back foot early, at least life-wise. This is obviously a meta issue, and the sample size is small, but I am considering tweaking the land base somewhat. Maybe replacing a few shocklands with the new triomes from Capenna. This will obviously be a tempo loss, though. I am planning on testing these decks more in the coming time (if I get the chance), before making any changes.

I would love to hear what thoughts you might have on this issue and, if there's anyone out there who've done a similar thing, in having a set of decks with communal cards, what experiences have you made with it?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 03:38:04 am by Casual EDH Beardo »

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: Communal land base for four WUBRG decks - advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 02:59:08 pm »

When I build 5 color decks, I focus on lands that say "any color".  Like Exotic Orchard, Mana Confluence, City of Brass, Grand Coliseum, etc.
Also, I will skew my mana base toward whichever color my early drops are in.  This is most often green or blue.

Looking at your decks, your early drops (mostly ramp) seem to be green.  I would only run triomes and duals that make green mana. 

You're going to have two or three of each basic.  This way you have some lands that don't get messed with.  After that, every land will be able to make the correct mana for your early plays.  That ramp gets you the appropriate lands to get the correct colors for the subsequent plays.
Happy Brewing!
:)

reynarok

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 03:07:53 am »
The communal cards under consideration are well done, but I also agree with ApothecaryGeist regarding the forests as well. I would take it a step further however: Utilizing only the fetches and shocks that pull forests + (whatever your second most prominent color is) frees you up to add more utility lands in the form of the any colors and The World Tree (autoinclude in all WUBRG decks), in addition to one basic of each color. Of all the colors, Plains and Forests seem the easiest to fetch out (I may be wrong). Having triomes and shocks that cater to those colors pay out well. If you plan to cast creatures, I recommend adding Karametra to the line up.

Casual EDH Beardo

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 01:40:29 pm »
Thank you for your responses, both :)

I'm thinking much the same thing as you're both pointing out. Most of the ramp is in green, and that will be the case in all the decks, though some will have more artifact ramp than the others.

I laid out the communal cards when preparing to finish the Dragon deck, yesterday, and I'm probably cutting Beast Within and Generous Gift from them (, though they will be in at least two of the decks) and maybe also Lotus Cobra, even if it's very good with all the fetches.
I had been planning to add a Reflecting Pool and City of Brass to the lands, and will probably cut a couple of fetches and skew the fetchable lands towards green. I will probably tweak that before testing, but I'm hoping to get my playgroup together for some EDH soon to give them a run-out.

Thanks again.