deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Toxic Deluge vs Harsh Mercy in a Tribal Deck  (Read 312 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Toxic Deluge vs Harsh Mercy in a Tribal Deck
« on: March 18, 2023, 06:36:52 pm »
Which do you feel is better in a tribal deck, Toxic Deluge or Harsh Mercy?

Harsh Mercy protects all your creatures (most likely) but if your opponent is running tribal or indestructible creatures, it doesn't do much.

Toxic Deluge may hit your own creatures but it hits your opponent's tribal creatures or indestructible creatures.

This space for rent.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
Re: Toxic Deluge vs Harsh Mercy in a Tribal Deck
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 06:57:01 pm »
I feel Toxic Deluge is more reliable since you can scale its size depending on the situation. Means you can aim to hit only relevant threads.

Harsh Mercy will always give your opponent the chance to decide what he wants to keep. That just doesn't feel right.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 06:59:24 pm by Akira Foxmind »
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

anjinsan

• Decks
Re: Toxic Deluge vs Harsh Mercy in a Tribal Deck
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 09:50:17 pm »
For what purpose?

The primary point of having wipes is to wipe stuff. Therefore the biggest factor is reliability. Toxic Deluge is one of the most reliable wipes since it kills indestructible things, and for only 3 mana (of course the cost is that it struggles with very large things and/or when you’re at low health).

There is, I think, a lot of space for “value wipes”. Consider Citywide Burst, Retribution of the Meek, Winds of Rath, or indeed Harsh Mercy. These are just things that typically, when you’re running them, hit others more than they hit you. Those seem like good ways just to set other people back. However, I would be loathe only to run such cards as wipes; they don’t fill the same role.