deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Updated my Rakdos Lord of Riots deck Let me know what i can improve on  (Read 668 times)

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
You do have quite a bit of ramp for a deck that can reduce costs drastically, so I'd probably cut ~2 ramp cards. Some other suggestions: go to EDHREC and look for the Group Slug theme. A lot of those cards damage everyone, so you can get a huge reduction from Rakdos. Sulfuric Vortex and other cards that damage everyone are also helpful, like Creeping Bloodsucker. As for big stuff to cast, X spells, huge artifacts, and Eldrazi are probably your best bet, but if you prefer a Demon tribal, I'd probably recommend Raphael, Fiendish Savior instead. Neat deck!
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

mrdoucheface

• Decks
Thank you for the suggestions I do have a quick question about how rakdos Lord of riots works. Doesn't his damage reduction only count for damage on this turn? So shouldn't it only discount for my first and second main phase?

For instance if they get damaged on their turn I don't think I get any discount

DanyTheWarrior

• Decks
Thank you for the suggestions I do have a quick question about how rakdos Lord of riots works. Doesn't his damage reduction only count for damage on this turn? So shouldn't it only discount for my first and second main phase?

For instance if they get damaged on their turn I don't think I get any discount

The ability "Creature spells you cast cost {1} less to cast for each 1 life your opponents have lost this turn." does not care about damage, just life lost. So, if your opponents lose life (via damage, "lose life" effects and such) during any turn, you will have the correspondent cost reduction (during that turn), independently of the phase you are currently.

For example, having 3 opponents, when the trigger from Creeping Bloodsucker resolves during your upkeep, your creatures will cost 3 less mana to cast during all the phases of your turn.

mrdoucheface

• Decks
I understand the damage/ loss of life.

The question was about the fact that is says "this turn" and i can only cast creature spells during my main or second phase unless otherwise stated by another card effect.

Meaning, if they receive damage or loss of life on THIER turn it doesn't allow me to have cost reduction unless i have flash or another effect. Since by the time it becomes my turn, that damage was not done during "this turn".

Unless "this turn" would mean "this round of turns" which i am 99% sure it doesn't but this was my specific question.

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
You turn starts at the beginning of your untap phase, so anything after that until you pass your turn is considered your turn.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

mrdoucheface

• Decks
Yes i understand that. Therefore by "this turn" you would have to have flash in order to cast a creature spell on someone elses turn to get the rakdos bonus.

The cost reduction only applies to the current turn and not a round so cards like Sulfuric Vortex wouldn't do this build much good.

Was just checking on the meaning of "this turn"

anjinsan

• Decks
That is correct. However some of these cards work on your turn - for example, Sanctum of Stone Fangs.

mrdoucheface

• Decks
That is correct. However some of these cards work on your turn - for example, Sanctum of Stone Fangs.

I considered cards that only ping the player like creeping bloodsucker but have pingers that can target creatures and players is just way more useful. I have Zagras, Thief of Heartbeats and Archetype of Finality which will give all my pingers deathtouch which is neat.

Dactylartha

• Decks
Yes i understand that. Therefore by "this turn" you would have to have flash in order to cast a creature spell on someone elses turn to get the rakdos bonus.

The cost reduction only applies to the current turn and not a round so cards like Sulfuric Vortex wouldn't do this build much good.

Was just checking on the meaning of "this turn"

Vedalkin Orrery is great for this. Sometimes incidental Emrakul on opponent turns.

https://deckstats.net/decks/10564/112675-rakdos-lord-of-terror-edh-#show__stats

anjinsan

• Decks
I considered cards that only ping the player like creeping bloodsucker but have pingers that can target creatures and players is just way more useful. I have Zagras, Thief of Heartbeats and Archetype of Finality which will give all my pingers deathtouch which is neat.
Pingers are cool, but I'm not sure they're as useful in this specific deck. Things like Sanctum of Stone Fangs or Creeping Bloodsucker, normally very unassuming cards, do a surprising amount of work here since they're draining life from all opponents. If you have three opponents and Rakdos is out, now creature spells cost 3 less. That's a huge reduction for such a cheap permanent! (On their own, these cards are admittedly a bit underwhelming, but they're still doing something at least)

Just worth thinking about.