deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Legacy]Mono Black Void Aggro - Manabase help needed  (Read 156 times)

Whitebeard0o

• Decks
[Legacy]Mono Black Void Aggro - Manabase help needed
« on: June 17, 2023, 10:31:36 am »
https://deckstats.net/decks/216768/3085657-void-aggro-black

Hey people, I need your help with my current black aggro deck. With the new Lord the Rings-Edition we got some spicy option with the Orcish Bowmasters, but for now I see it as an good sideboard-option.

How does the deck works?
If you know, you can skip this part.
You have two options to win a game. Winning by beating down your opponent with "terrible to deal"-creatures. Phyrexian Obliterator, Sheoldred, the Apocalypse and Dauthi Voidwalker. Or by a combintion of Dauthi Voidwalker / Leyline of the Void and Helm of Obedience.

Karn works like a tutor for the helm, deals with some artifacts and can shut down the enemies manabase with Liquimetal Coating + +1ability

Discards protects your plan and Tourach, Dread Cantor because of Swords to Plowshares.

Sideboard-options explained:
Darksteel Citadel - Target for Karn, the Great Creator to enable Helm-Combo
Helm of Obedience - Target for Karn, the Great Creator to enable Helm-Combo
Liquimetal Coating - Target for Karn, the Great Creator attack Manabase
Lotus Petal - Target for Karn, better option if you need the extra mana and already played a land this turn
*Opposition Agent - Deals with Fetchlands and other "search your Library"-stuff*
*Orcish Bowmasters - we don´t know how ridiculus this will be
Pithing Needle - Target for Karn, the Great Creator to shut down enemy Planeswalker and other Stuff
*Plague Engineer - against token, tribal etc.
Sword of Once and Future - only flavour, gets funny with Dauthi Voidwalker - other option would be Ensnaring Bridge

Big chance that Sudden Edict > Sheoldred's Edict
*Changes the Deck to an aggro-control-version.

Manabase help needed
I see a lot of options**, but thinking of Blood Moon or Wasteland... Basics gets the job done, or not?

Fetchlands - did they make this deck realy better?
Castle Locthwain - possible card draw?
Wasteland - Yours against mine?
Takenuma, Abandoned Mire
Urza's Saga - more Control for the Aggro-Control-Version
Karakas - bouncing legendaries
Snow-Covered Swamp - is it realy useful?
Ancient Tomb - More speed, but it will cost me the Obliberator
Cavern of Souls - Protecting my Phyrexians?
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth - fixes all the other lands.

What are your opinions?  ;D ;D ;D

eomereolsson

• Decks
Re: [Legacy]Mono Black Void Aggro - Manabase help needed
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 12:22:11 am »
I think you should at least get some utility into your mana base. So long as most of your lands are basic, you will still be resilient to blood moon and opposing wastelands.

Fetchlands: In this article Frank Karsten argues against the often cited point of "deck thinning" for including fetchlands in mono color decks.
Castle Locthwain/Takenuma, Abandoned Mire: These provide insurance against mana flood. While they do open you up to Wasteland, I would at least include one of each since they are on color utility.
Wasteland: Interaction against Dark Depths combo (or other land based shenanigans like Glacial Chasm, Maze of Ith, Karakas ...); helps to keep an opponent who is behind on board on the backfoot via mana denial; but If you are trying to resolve 4 and 5 mana spells yourself, maybe setting yourself back a land isn't the best of plans
Urza's Saga: powerful midrange grind/card advantage card. However I see it more in a spell slot then a lands slot. Not only does it sacrifice itself after 3 turns, but on two of those you actually want to make constructs instead of tapping it for mana.
Karakas: I don't think it's worth it. It's effectively colorless for you. Because of that (and because it is legendary) you want to play it only once or twice. But then your chances of drawing it when you actually need it are also pretty small. Protecting your own legendaries is cute, but turns them into effective 5 drops.
Snow-Covered Swamp: Conventional wisdom tells us to split our basics between normal and Snow-Covered, to minimize our opponent's chances when they cast Predict in the blind on you. However no one actually plays Predict nowadays. So it is more of an aesthetic choice.
Ancient Tomb to power out your combo will make your deck more powerful in total in my opinion. Even though as you say it makes it harder to cast your obliterator (which is just not that impressive).
Cavern of Souls: This can get potentially awkward with Dauthi Voidwalker. But it would ensure that your Obliterator resolves ... which isn't that strong.
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth only gets interesting if you run more than 4 off-color sources. Otherwise I wouldn't include it.

I think you got most of the important lands. Some other includes could be:
Rishadan Port: Keep an opponent who is behind on the back foot. Works best with Wasteland. Though it probably isn't worth it without Aether Vial.
Bojuka Bog: Incidental grave hate, but tapped lands are bad. Like really bad.
Mishra's Factory: More hedge against mana flood that also helps you to play around sweepers.
Nurturing Peatland/Silent Clearing: Yet more flood insurance.
Cabal Pit: Late game removal on a land; Probably only good in pox where you more or less reliably get threshold.
Lake of the Dead: Another way to power out your combo (or your big phyrexians).