deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Combos You Really Want to See Work  (Read 603 times)

stuffnsuch

• Decks
Combos You Really Want to See Work
« on: August 30, 2023, 01:21:37 am »
I just discovered that if you have Mu Yanling in play and a Skyship Plunderer able to attack, it only takes a couple turns of protecting Mu Yanling to go infinite.  Two cards, both blue, and they're both decent on their own, but wouldn't it be cool to see them take infinite turns together?  I'm guessing that I'll probably put both in my superfriends deck, rarely draw into them in the same game, and when I do, I'll get stuck at like 17-19 loyalty, which is not quite enough to go off.

It got me thinking about other combos I've built into decks that just never worked, whether I've built around them or threw them in as if saying "I just hope I get to see this go off one day".  Whether it's Repercussion and Blasphemous act in my creatureless deck, or Aphetto Alchemist and Wake Thrasher in my Wizard Deck, there are a lot of fun combos I'd love to see and haven't.

What about you, have you ever gotten any weird combos to go off, or are there combos you really wish you could see happen someday?

EDIT: Okay, so I was misreading Skyship Plunderer, which is fine.  The topic is still one I'd love to discuss.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 09:56:37 pm by stuffnsuch »

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Combos You Really Want to See Work
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 01:40:52 am »
Mortuary + Narcomoeba + Altar of Dementia. I've put it into my Sidisi, Brood Tyrant deck multiple times and have never been able to pull it off. I don't run the tutors in that deck to find more than one piece of it while Mortuary & Narcomoeba don't do enough on their own in the deck to justify a place in the deck. I really want to hit it one day but it's such a clunky combo...
This space for rent.

Okagachi

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 02:17:30 am »
Could you please explain the Mu Yanling / Skyship Plunderer combo? I don't like to be the wet blanket, but if it's "Get Mu to enough loyalty counters and then double that number of counters every turn by connecting with the Plunderer", that doesn't work. Plunderer gives the targeted permanent one more of each kind of counter on it. So if Mu has five loyalty, she'll only get one more. If she somehow had five loyalty and a +1/+1 counter, she'd get one more of each, for six loyalty and two +1/+1 counters. (You can check the rulings under https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=559804.) Unless I've missed something, it'd take quite a devoted deck, with plenty of things like Rite of Replication and Cackling Counterpart, to get the number of Plunderers you need to put 10 loyalty on Mu every turn and go infinite (although you could use Thrummingbird or Guildpact Informant as well as Plunderer, making a it a bit more likely to pull off).

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 07:31:41 pm »
Yeah, there are a whole lot of easier combos to pull off in a superfriends deck. Teferi. Who Slows the Sunset + The Peregrine Dynamo + Mana rock gives infinite mana and infinite life and infinite untaps, Teferi, Time Raveler, + Displacer Kitten + any mana positive rock makes a whole lot of mana and draws your deck, and Jace, Cunning Castaway + 2x of Lae'zel, Vlaakith's Champion, Oath of Gideon, and Ichormoon Gauntlet give infinite Jaces and if you have the gauntlet, infinite turns and proliferate.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 09:33:46 pm »
I tried to build a Tekuthal, Inquiry Dominus deck based on Ichormoon Gauntlet. I can share a preliminary list if you want.

In general, one combo I like is Animation Module + Soul Attendant (or similar) + Ajani Pridemate (or similar) + Ashnod's Altar (or similar) to make infinite tokens, gain infinite life and put infinite counters on my creature.
So far, I've managed to assemble the first three pieces a couple of times, but I was always missing the altar to go infinite.

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 09:53:32 pm »
@Okagachi

You're right.  I didn't have a copy of that card, and was playing against someone that I'll assume misread it.  I thought it felt a little overpowered.  That makes more sense.  Either way, even a imaginary combo is a good spark for the discussion.  Thanks for pointing me straight.

AlltheTokens

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 06:01:00 am »
Now Mu Yanling and Gilder Bairn is another matter.