deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Combo in Limited?  (Read 1316 times)

stuffnsuch

• Decks
Combo in Limited?
« on: September 05, 2023, 08:48:38 pm »
I've been a big fan of doing crazy things in magic, from gaining nearly 1000 life off an Awe Strike, to making more tokens than there are dice in the universe to track them, to winning with Battle of Wits after spending more time shuffling than all my other game actions combined.

This weekend, I attended my first ever limited event, the Wilds of Eldrain Pre-release.  After opening an Aggravated Assault and a Nature's Will, I decided to go all in combo.  It was a blast, just digging through my deck after dropping a couple little evasive creatures, and then playing both those enchantments and winning on the spot.  The main reactions were "I've never seen anything like that!" or "No one ever combo's in limited!" or something like that?

I'm new to limited, so I just had to ask, is building combo in limited really that rare?  Have you ever seen any one go infinite in a limited environment?  Did I just do the most crazy thing of my Magic playing career and not even realize how special it was at the time?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Combo in Limited?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 12:04:01 am »
It doesn't happen much at pre-releases because the standard sets are balanced to not contain any (intentional) combos. It happens more now with the inclusions of these Enchanted Tales type cards included in them.
This space for rent.

ClaudMoore

• Decks
Re: Combo in Limited?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 11:22:55 am »
suika game
It doesn't happen much at pre-releases because the standard sets are balanced to not contain any (intentional) combos. It happens more now with the inclusions of these Enchanted Tales type cards included in them.

In limited formats like pre-releases, building a combo deck is indeed relatively rare. This is because the standard sets used in limited formats are typically designed to have a balanced gameplay experience without intentional combos.

However, with the inclusion of cards like Enchanted Tales in recent sets, the potential for combos in limited environments has increased. These types of cards can synergize with other specific cards or mechanics, allowing for powerful interactions that can create combo-like effects.