deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Oh My, what big hands you have! - Queza, Augur of Agonies Primer  (Read 1540 times)

ChaoticOrderr

• Chronic Mill Enjoyer. I regularly update my decks.
  • Decks
Im back with another Primer!

Today I want to show off my Esper forced card draw deck. The goal of this deck is to everyone a massive amount of cards, then punish them for having large hands!

Similar to the old "Owling Mine" archetype (2006 Pro Tour), but this is less control/counterspell tribal and more midrange/engine building.

I’d love to hear what you guys think of the deck! And I’ll be back with another primer in a few weeks.

https://deckstats.net/decks/113239/2658391-oh-my-what-big-hands-you-have-#show_description

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: Oh My, what big hands you have! - Queza, Augur of Agonies Primer
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 05:41:53 pm »
It seems to me like you're playing a strategy more similar to Nekusar, the Mindrazer than Queza, Augur of Agonies. Queza only cares if you draw cards, while Nekusar is themed around making your opponents draw; the exact strategy your deck is using. Why did you choose Queza instead of Nekusar? And what advantages does Queza have running this strategy compared to Nekusar?

I would also like to know why you're not using these cards:

Alhammarret's Archive
Faerie Manstermind
Fellwar Stone
Notion Thief
Path to Exile
Rhystic Study
Sanguine Bond
Talisman of Dominance
Talisman of Hierarchy
Teferi's Ageless insight
Teferi's Puzzle Box
The Second Doctor

ChaoticOrderr

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 12:06:28 am »
You bring up a VERY good point! Nekusar, the Mindrazer is pretty much the deck that I have built. I guess that I just wanted to be in Esper. I built most of the deck before I decided on the commander and she so happened to be the one Esper legend that fit the deck's strategy the most. I didn't even consider that Nekusar is similar till right now.

This is sort of a secondary reason that I just thought of, But I guess it's the reputation that the commander brings. Nekuzar is a well-known boogie man in the format. If I bust out him, everyone knows what's up and to kill me first. If I play Queza it's less of an "oh shit" reaction around the table, plus the deck is sort of a "group hug" deck. I want to let the table have fun, not sweat while looking for a removal spell.

I'll add the reasons why I am not playing the following cards to the list in another reply. I just need time to think about each card.

ChaoticOrderr

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 10:32:46 pm »
To follow up on the reasons that I am not playing certain cards.

Alhammarret's Archive & Faerie Mastermind: Man... I don't have a reason to not run these other than I don't own either IRL.

Fellwar Stone: I personally do not like this card. The number of times that I've had it not make a color that is useful to me has left a bad impression. If I going to be running a rock that gives me a colorless mana and occasionally a color I need for two CMC I'd rather run one with better upside.

Notion Thief: I am looking to fill the hands of the others at the table. This actively stops that.

Rhystic Study: I really don't need the draw that this provides. If I am running more card draw in the deck, I want it to also put cards into other's hands as well.

Sanguine Bond: I honestly don't gain enough life for this to be effective.

Teferi's Ageless insight: I should be running this for the same reasons that I should be running Alhammarret's Archive, however, If I am going to be adding one of the two to the deck I'll be adding the archive other than this one.

Teferi's Puzzle Box: A really silly card that I think would help churn through decks. The only problem is that It doesn't increase the amount of cards in hands just changes them.

The Second Doctor: I never knew about this card. I'd love to add to the deck If I ever get my hands on one.

Path to Exile & the Talismans of X: I'll be updating the deck list to include these because you are right. I should be running these.

I've also updated the Primer to explain why I am not running Nekuzar. Our Commander section has been updated to be Queza, Augur of Agonies not Nekusar, the Mindrazer?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 10:39:58 pm by ChaoticOrderr »

ChaoticOrderr

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 05:32:21 pm »
I have gone through and updated the list. As well as rewrote some of the sections of the primer to reflect the new changes to the list.

For example, I have removed Dreamborn Muse and Elder Brain from the deck, So I rewrote the sections that mentioned them.

Also, I did an overall grammar check and clarified some of the more convoluted sections. For example, I cleaned up the "The Rest of the 99" and "Look out!" sections to be less redundant. Some sentences would repeat what has already been said but just in a different way.