deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Will Stroke of Midnight become a new White Staple  (Read 618 times)

AlltheTokens

• Decks
Will Stroke of Midnight become a new White Staple
« on: October 12, 2023, 06:27:55 am »
Stroke of Midnight seems like a great new card to me.  For the same cost as Generous Gift it give the opponent a 1/1 instead of a 3/3, with the only downside being it can not target lands.  Thoughts?

Landale

• Decks
Re: Will Stroke of Midnight become a new White Staple
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 10:16:41 am »
According to EDHREC Generous Gift sees play in ~50% of mono white decks ~30-40% of two color white inclusive decks, and ~25% of decks period. "Will the card that is better in >90% of situations see significant play?" is kind of a silly question. The better question is, "Are they going to sufficiently reprint it to keep the price on it down?"

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 09:05:12 pm »
"Are they going to sufficiently reprint it to keep the price on it down?"

It's probably going to become a precon staple like Gift and Beast Within, so that's the last of my worries.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 09:37:55 pm »
Not sure if it will be a staple but it should see play especially in casual groups. It's an instant for 3 mana that destroy's something and an uncommon. Nothing flashy and/or spectacular but it will see play. Price isn't an issue nor should it be. Plus it is also competing against all the other 3 drop white staples so it will be hard pressed to become a staple itself.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

UrizenII

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 02:12:13 am »
It depends on the format.  The limitation - albeit a small one - of Stroke of Midnight is that it can't hit lands, whereas Generous Gift can.  I basically play only commander exclusively, so the additional utility of being able to hit a problematic land like a Cabal Coffers, Gaea's Cradle, Maze of Ith, or even a Reliquary Tower is worth the slightly larger body the opponent gets; in most situations, the difference between a vanilla 1/1 and a vanilla 3/3 is negligible.  Honestly, I'd probably run both, and I was excited about seeing Excise the Imperfect too.

I don't know what the constructed/limited landscape is like for lands (no pun intended), but I expect in those formats Stroke would be marginally better than Gift.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 10:38:35 am »
I think it's already a staple. At least my friends and I are running it in Wx decks.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Capt Forest

• Patron
  • #1 Ranked in Showcase league
    • Facebook
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 04:26:35 pm »
I think the card is great in 1v1 formats, in pods for commander its playable interaction but not game changing. Its a good card for sure.
If you see this and live in the CFL area reach out.