deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Some input help for Tyvar Deck  (Read 733 times)

Voojeff

• Decks
Some input help for Tyvar Deck
« on: October 16, 2023, 06:07:03 am »
https://deckstats.net/decks/233842/3196616-don-t-touch-the-elves

Looking for constructive input on my Tyvar Deck. I feel it performs well but I want to see what others think might improve play.

It runs with using mana dorks being ramp initially and then become big beaters to finish the game. The deathtouch is there mostly for flavor, as a deterrent while the elves are small but also a minor win con. I'm not looking to combo out as much.

I run a lot of interaction.

All input will be highly appreciated and fully considered.

Thanks in advance.

[[Tyvar the Bellicose]]

Landale

• Decks
Re: Some input help for Tyvar Deck
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 10:07:49 am »
First of all, it helps to sort your deck into categories like deck goals, draw, ramp, and interaction, rather than leaving the default sort so people can see at a glance how much of what you're running to more quickly assess things.

You're a bit lacking in draw, not massively but swapping out Inkmoth Nexus and/or Sanctum of Eternity for Bonders' Enclave and/or War Room would help give you another repeatable source of it.
If you can, swap Primal Vigor out for Doubling Season. You don't generally want to be giving benefit to other people.
Mana Reflection is just outright overkill without some sort of mana sink, so you might benefit more for swapping it out for Cryptolith Rite for redundancy on Tyvar Kell and Elven Chorus instead.
This sort of deck is generally more vulnerable to board wipes than targeted removal, so things like Wrap in Vigor, Wail of the Nim, or Golgari Charm are often better forms of protection than Tamiyo's Safekeeping or Tyvar's Stand.

Poison is likely to get you hated off the table quickly, so unless the cards win on the spot like Triumph of the Hordes or, to a lesser extent, Fynn, the Fangbearer you won't often want cards that just put out a little unless you're going all in on the theme, which you're not at the moment. Cards like the previously mentioned Inkmoth Nexus and Infectious Bite are just painting a target on yourself. The bite could easily be swapped out for Wirewood Symbiote, which gives you repeatable single target protection if you really need it but more importantly resets Armorcraft Judge, Elvish Harbinger, and Reclamation Sage while untapping your deathtouch creatures for a surprise fatal blocker.

Voojeff

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 08:39:58 pm »
Thank you very much for the very insightful input. I will consider all of it carefully and I hope to make changes soon.

patricia3

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2024, 08:15:50 am »
Why is it recommended to swap Primal Vigor for Double Season in this deck? How does this change align with the goal of not providing benefits to opponents?

Please do not include links to external sites unless they somehow relate to MTG or the topic at hand.

- Morganator 2.0
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 04:40:41 pm by Morganator 2.0 »

Voojeff

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2024, 04:47:02 pm »
It's an asymmetrical advantage of effects benefitting only my board rather than everybody's. The latter being better.
But the advice was for an earlier iteration of the deck. Now from play testing it's a slot currently being held by Mana reflection. I've found out, on top of mana doubling the counters also proportionally piles on when Tyvar is out.
 Again, it's a much more focused deck that what it was originally.

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 03:15:39 pm »
I'm not looking to combo out as much.
That's a tough statement, when your deck specifically revolves aroung mana dorks producing 3+ mana. Anyway...

Voojeff

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 03:48:01 am »
I appreciate the detailed and thoughtful response.

I know the not "comboing" and no tutors might be counter-intuitive in a game in which winning is the ultimate outcome. Especially, as you've pointed out I have mana producing creatures that have multiple combo potential. Ultimately,  like I wrote on the primer, it's really not the type of game I'd like this iteration of deck to play. For now I'm keen to sticking to its deathtouch attacking elves theme.  I know from experience that games that are combo and tutor heavy is very dependent on the playgroup you frequent and also the type of decks you attract playing against.

I am taking inspiration on some of the wonderful suggestions you have made though.

- Seedborn muse and Quest for renewal allows me to keep tapping my dorks at each of opponents end step essentialy buffing them (thank God for no mana burn) into beaters by my next turn. Horizon Stone soaks up the excess mana but you are right that Omnath, Locust of mana can work albeit more susceptible to wraths.

I use Elven chorus for is pseudo draw effect more than it's mana effect all the counter gaining creatures already have a mana ability.
Imp's mischief is a strictly worse Deflecting swat but it's still a Deflecting swat. It's used to protect the commander as he is the linchpin of the buff/deathtouch strategy. He does get targeted a fair bit once they see growing dorks.
Vines of the vast wood was in the early iteration and is still in the considering list.
I am surely considering Copperhorn scout and adding more meaningful mana sinks and payoffs.

Once again, thanks for the insightful suggestions.