deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] novice deckbuilder looking for advice  (Read 452 times)

MariaMagda

• Decks
[Standard] novice deckbuilder looking for advice
« on: October 22, 2023, 11:48:27 am »
I am fairly new into MTG and started to get into deckbuilding a few weeks ago. I already watched a lot of educational content on YouTube regarding broad concepts like game plan, mana curve, sequencing and so on. Now I want to get better at fine tuning and understanding the inner workings of a MTG deck :) So, any advice from more advanced deckbuilders is highly appreciated!

This is the deck: https://deckstats.net/decks/242477/3256451-bant-ramp

The deck has three main ideas:

1. Playing high CMC spells to generate value with [[Up the Beanstalk]] and [[Ascendant Packleader]] (and playing Ramp to facilitate this)

2. Getting a lot of creatures into play and putting +1/+1 counters on them, growing a [[Botanical Brawler]]

3. Playing the cards I have in my collection (on Arena, I'm ftp for now). For example, I'd like to play [[Farewell]] but what I have is [[Faerie Slumber Party]] so this is what I'm going with. Same goes for lands and some other cards I had to switch out. Don't hold back on your criticism though!

The deck performs fairly well in Platinum ranked but there is a lot I could tweak I guess

mtg_kid967

• Decks
Re: [Standard] novice deckbuilder looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 05:27:38 am »
dude you gotta play around and experiment

failure is the greaatest teacher

make a deck and test it on untap

one thing that helps me is focussing on the main 60 and crossing the bridge that is the sideboard when i get to it.

good luck out there, youre gonna need it.

MariaMagda

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 07:56:36 pm »
I was looking for a bit more specific advice as mentioned but I appreciate the reply nevertheless

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023, 03:10:04 am »
I would play 4-ofs for your main strategy and cut anything that doesn't contribute as much after playtesting a few times. Lady of Laughter is overcosted, so I would cut it immediately and up you count of Wedding Announcement to 4 in order to maximize card draw and board presence. Right now, your deck seems split between ramp and +1/+1 counters, and I'd encourage you to lean into one of those much more heavily. In the current standard meta, the counters deck that can win are low to the ground and heavily artifact-based (Ozolith, Patchwork automaton, tough cookie, teething wurmlet) and the ramp decks play as control decks, using Topiary Stomper, invasion of zendikar, and herd migration to get their lands while following up with sweepers like Sunfall, Farewell, and Depopulate and threats like Etali, Primal Conqueror and Atraxa, Grand Unifier. Up The Beanstalk is seeing success in these decks, so maybe you could try it out?
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

Fuzzy2Wasy

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2023, 06:13:47 am »
I have never made a paper 60 card deck and only played a little on Arena, so take this with a big grain of salt, but I concur with C_I, if you have two cards that you want to brew around, make those 4-in cards for you, especially as they as in your 1 drop slots. 
Seems fun, happy brewing!

MariaMagda

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2023, 02:47:22 pm »
Thanks for your advice @Cosmic_Insight and @Fuzzy2Wasy! It's true, the deck is, especially in this state (changed it around a bit since I posted it on here), split between tactics. I can't really do much about the 4-of stuff because, as mentioned, I am out of wild cards rn. But I can imagine that this would do loads to make the deck more efficient. My past experience is that the deck either does nothing or goes completely overkill where I have 10-15 lands out and draw 3-6 cards a turn, essentially self-milling.... :D I think I'll have to cut a lot of the late game payoffs and I'll definetly start with Lady of Laughter, I already had a feeling that 5 for a 4/5 flyer that draws maybe one or two cards isn't really worth it....