deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Need some ideas a commander deck.  (Read 1582 times)

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
Need some ideas a commander deck.
« on: November 19, 2023, 11:43:07 pm »
The premise is my playgroup of friends at my local game store came up with our next deck challenge. The challenge is... The commander has to be from any pre set 8th edition, onslaught/legions/scourge or earlier. Rest of the deck is from Kamigawa block and earlier. I have found out at 2 decks I am against. 1 is stax like you can't untap with power less creatures and the other is just making you discard. My style of play is aggressive, sort of chaotic, attack with reckless abandon and once I cast a spell , attack and so forth I accept any consequences no matter how things play and or pan out. Basically a wild card cause you never know what I am going to do because I just do it even if it doesn't make sense with no rhyme or reason. There is no budget limit but I personally am trying to stick in the 100-150 dollar range for financial reasons. Now my question is for suggestions as what type of commander deck should I build? I came to ask all you guys cause your knowledge and suggestions are always really helpful. So thanks in advance for any input from any of you :)
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: Need some ideas a commander deck.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 01:09:47 am »

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 03:32:19 am »
Just the commander is pre-modern yeah?

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&page=2&q=%28type%3Acreature+type%3Alegendary%29+%28game%3Apaper%29+legal%3Apremodern&unique=cards

The ones that stand out for aggro strategies are Karona, False God and Sliver Overlord.

Lol so that is what they are doing,,, pre modern? hmmm... I may be the oldest player age wise but not the oldest magic player wise.. However  the playgroup I play on Friday night ... well 1 player plays Korona and I do like it but the mana base will be intensive and hopefully somehow budget aspect.. As for slivers I have never taking a liking to them even though they are pretty powerful.  Yeah why not.. a 5 color deck I have never created or have/own.. not sure but saprolings could be the creatures I am looking for with I think Kahmal to pump up the team as well.. or some other form of 1/1's.. I like Korona but won't play it on my Friday night group.. thanks Morgantor

AlltheTokens

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 05:48:02 am »
I wonder if that card base could allow an Ambassador Laquatus mill deck to work.

12aptor1nfinity

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 03:02:05 am »
I looked through a list of commanders that meet your criteria that someone else filtered.

These are the cards I saw that I would consider for a deck that looked to have good value for their cost with effects I could see some easy strategies around.

Except Tsabo Tavoc that one is stupid but what a card, lol.

Commander Eesha
Vhati il-Dal
Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero
Zirilan of the Claw
Ertai the Corrupted
Seton, Krosan Protector
Gerrard Capashen
Sol%u2019kanar the Swamp King
Tsabo Tavoc
Asmira, Holy Avenger
Balthor the Stout
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 03:03:45 am by 12aptor1nfinity »

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2023, 10:55:09 pm »
This is what I came up with :) https://deckstats.net/decks/52552/3320491-big-timmy-stuff

It will do what I need it to do but I know it won't be enough. But just slamming big stuff down and just swinging widely is going to be enough.

Fuzzy2Wasy

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 05:20:42 pm »
About 7 or 8 years ago my buddy was getting married and he made all his groomsmen a commander deck to get back into the hobby from when we were kids.  It def sparked a flame and we have been playing since.

One of the decks he made was Lord of Tresserhorn .  Its a reserve list card but still only a few bucks because of the "downside" of its ETB, but potentially a very powerful commander.  I also feel like in the modern era its a card with some good diplomacy angles because of its ETB, and you can also get around it with cards like Sundial of the Infinite type effects, or lean into the sac requirement with tokens and death triggers.  Lots of ways to go, but a big beefy commander who can get double strike and 1 shot an opponent pretty easily.  My buddy eventually turned Tresserhorn into his grixis pirates commander. 

rhofer

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 07:17:38 pm »
As the guy who built the Tresserhorn deck it is fun, lots of treasure options and pirate's to sac, plus a big beef Zombie pirate seems about right wielding embercleave!

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2023, 07:40:55 pm »
As the guy who built the Tresserhorn deck it is fun, lots of treasure options and pirate's to sac, plus a big beef Zombie pirate seems about right wielding embercleave!

While you do have a good suggestion about Lord of Tresserhorn. You have to also remember that the card pool I am allowed to use is limited from the Kamigawa block and earlier. So while embercleave is a very nice card isn't permitted in this challenge. I toyed around trying to make Korona and even Merieke Ri Berit (which really isn't my style) but both were still fun to try to do. I even went with Rith again which I allready have a deck made with Rith just this version of Rith's finisher would have been epic struggle. So then I said screw it and did the Big Timmy Stuff. Nothing spectacular just the deck tries to outvalue my opponents. It was a fun challenge to do because doing a pre-modern style deck was definately interesting

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2024, 01:16:32 am »
My very first EDH deck was Kamahl, Fist of Krosa.  I believe this would be an ideal commander based on your deck restrictions and playstyle.  You ramo like crazy, use Kamahl's ability to pump your team, and swing in with a dozen 30/30 tramplers.  Highly recommended!

(Also, if your opponent boardwipes, you can always turn their lands to creatures to punish them)

EDIT: Looks like you'd already discovered Kamahl.  Still, highly recommend.  Hope you had fun.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 01:24:41 am by stuffnsuch »

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 08:44:02 pm »
Márton Stromgald is a decent monored aggro commander from old days.
Normally, you'd want to run a load of goblins, Goblin King, Goblin Warchief, Coat of Arms etc. Attack for a lot. Win the game.
The deck would be pretty straight-forward, but you asked for aggro, so I think it suits you.
Moreover, Martin (and other relevant cards) shouldn't be that expensive to acquire.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 08:45:49 pm by crimsonking »