deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Smothering Tithe..... is it currently worth it? (from a Mardu standpoint)  (Read 486 times)

Jesterskull

• Decks
I feel like Smothering Tithe is overrated.

Yes it is good treasure generation for white.... but I feel like some deck (like some Mardu decks) want to be more direct by turn 4.

Aka to use the upcoming two Mardu Commanders as examples.

I feel like smothering tithe fits a Mr. House deck then a Ceasar one.

(Currently looking at replacements, there are good ones for more creature token generation...)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 06:50:41 pm by Jesterskull »

EMaxxi

• Decks
Re: Smothering Tithe..... is it currently worth it? (from a Mardu standpoint)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 10:34:41 pm »
It's a pretty unique effect, so it depends on what you are doing with it.
If your white deck wants a way to ramp over time and punish/slow down draw-heavy decks, Smothering Tithe has you covered.

What would be your replacement?

Jesterskull

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 11:28:31 pm »
Currently still debating around some removal/ token replacers. Since they might have more of an impact in a Ceasar deck. (specifically where you can double and triple them.) (currently busy, so haven't put all my focus here yet.)

I am just saying I think Magic is getting faster, too the point where I question if slow gains actually work anymore.

(aka the importantance about turn 8 stuff has really been on my mind lately.)

Bonethor

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 10:38:45 am »
Feels like that call really depends on your meta and the way you're planning to build your deck as always.. Personally I like using smothering tithe when I have a very efficient deck that can really make any extra mana go far (high Aminatou) or when I can get tons of mana (Jeskai deck with wheels for example).

It's definitely a good card but I like to avoid using same cards too many times so I'll try to put them where they can really shine. Would it shine in a Caesar deck? If your opponents like drawing cards, you have some generic token doubling synergy and you use some wheels and the game doesn't progress too fast - probably it would.

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 07:34:05 pm »
If you need both treasures and aggression, I'd suggest Descent into Avernus. I love this card so much, as it rewards aggro decks by giving them an even faster clock while making mana to cast haymakers earlier. Plus, it's a just a fun card that rewards everyone at the table.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo