deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Pheres Centaur Pagony - Comments  (Read 171 times)

Comment Bot

Pheres Centaur Pagony - Comments
« on: November 26, 2023, 10:18:15 pm »

StevenOs

• Decks
Re: Pheres Centaur Pagony - Comments
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 10:18:15 pm »
Just what are you trying to Populate?  You've got six spells which will create 3/3 tokens and then the one creature which can create 3/3 tokens.  Now Call of the Conclave may not be a bad rate the five for two 3/3 of Fated Intervention isn't the best although it is an instant.  Producing a token with that Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage is an absurdly expensive SIX and even using Populate if you already have a 3/3 is still four; it you were getting another 6/6 or even a 5/5 that's one thing but here you're looking at a 3/3.  Then you have six spells that add Populate to the effect; Sundering Growth may still cost the same as Naturalize but Druid's Deliverance is a more expensive Fog (which some will question the value of) and Trostani's Judment is a horribly expensive removal spell at six.  I've mention the Guildmage's populate is pretty expensive for what you'll be getting while Trostani is a little better with some life gain upside.  Are you going to get enough tokens out to make Emmara worth her cost?

On the Ramp side of things Honored Hierarch is pretty slow considering you'd need to attack with it and have it live before it starts making mana; pretty much any mana dork is an upgrade here.  If Urban Utopia is in as a cantrip it still may not be good enough because there's no ramp potential here and I don't know that you'll need to color fixing; most anything that will find a land and put it into play is an upgrade here (looking at: Farseek, Rampant Growth, Sakura-Tribe Elder although very off brand) or something that will let a land tap for additional mana.  The Centaur Nurturer may get you a little life and be on theme but it's way too late for ramp.  edit:  Looking I see Abundant Growth is everything Urban Utopia is at a smaller cost

Conclave Mentor is a cheap bear that will combo nicely with anything that adds +1/+1 counters and can get you a bit of life when it dies; if you had more targeting it might be especially interesting with Lagonna-Band Trailblazer's heroic ability.  Chronicler of Heroes is another card that would like to see +1/+1 counters letting you draw if you have one when it enter's play.  Centaur Healer is a 3/3 for three that gives you 3 live.  Loaming Shamen may be interesting as graveyard hate although it can be a little harder helping you especially when you have other ways of getting thing back without the random effect.

Part of me thinks the way to play Centaurs would be to go with +1/+1 counters.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 11:37:50 pm by StevenOs »

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 03:27:30 pm »
Hey, Steven. Thanks for the comment and opinion. On the only contrary, I can only say: I have tested it, man. Trostani's Judgment isn't the best, but it was tested. Really. It's anti-mill deck, Steven. I know the Centaur Healer and I've tested it, but I prefer the Centaur Nurturer. Really. Give 3 life and tap for mana. Just 2. Not more. Bonus. All is on Pheres Band Warchief and the 2x Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage are just bonus. Nothing else. It was tested. I win regularly at FNMs against discard and mill decks, Steven. Really. Trust me: Honored Hierarch and Urban Utopia are really good. It's been tested numerous times at FNMs in Bulgaria. Just at latest I am forcing on the set of Courser of Kruphix. It hasn't been tested really with 4 Loaming Shaman and 4 Courser of Kruphix, but it'll come to it. Bow of Nylea is also good. Additional for sideboard. Yes, it's anti-mill/discard and anti-graveyard deck, Steven. Actually, there aren't much betters. I know the Chronicler of Heroes. It's not bad, but it's optional. In place of Centaur Nurturer, really. I can put any you have suggested, but I prefer it this way. It was tested for sure.

StevenOs

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 06:14:27 am »
If there's a specific type of deck you are routinely fighting then go for it.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 12:02:17 am »
Thanks, Steven! Feel free to look at my other decks if you wanna!