deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: EDH Zur the entchanter boring and how to play krrik?  (Read 725 times)

MagicSwordsman

• Decks
EDH Zur the entchanter boring and how to play krrik?
« on: November 30, 2023, 08:47:56 pm »
Hey!
I thouht about maybe buying a commander deck with Zur the Enchanter, but I´m not sure if he´ll get boring after a time bc of his pretty linear playstyle. Does anyone have experience with him ot in general what do you think?

I also have another question, can you play K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth also as a kind of goodstuff deck or is he much better as a combo deck?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 08:59:18 pm by MagicSwordsman »

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
Re: EDH Zur the entchanter boring and how to play krrik?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 05:07:25 am »
K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth is both a value engine and a combo piece, so most decks will do both. If you're thinking about Zur, why not try his more interesting version, Zur, Eternal Schemer? Fun tip! You can remove people's commanders from the game with Zur, Eternal Schemer and Out of Time! Cast the Out of Time, and with its trigger on the stack, turn it into a creature.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 05:22:47 am »
You could always try out a Zur the Enchanter background deck. Far Traveler + Shameless Charlatan is amusing when you can slip him past something big, perhaps because of Sword Coast Sailor, become it before dealing combat damage, then reset himself and draw a couple cards with Candlekeep Sage. Then in another game you could mix Feywild Visitor, Veteran Soldier, and Inspiring Leader to flood the board, with Agent of the Iron Throne there to punish anyone who might try to board wipe you.

THETRUEKINGLUI

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 10:29:11 am »
Hm I totaly agree on the Zur -thought. I love to play noninfinit-ish combo. Love when everything interact like a mashine. So I was super excited when building him about all those possibilities. To give more diversity in playing I build the deck in a way that I would draw some creature cards and get the enchantments that combo nice with those. Like: drawing "crypt rats" + getting "charisma" + anything that prevents crypt rats from dying.  Or draw "nine lives" + get "solemnity"...

BUUUUT... in reality first few turns are allway about getting protection for zur and more often than not getting card draw. 
I stopted playing it quite fast because its to predictable and linear for me.

I think the other Zur is the more interesting variation.

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 01:08:26 am »
Zur is only linear if you feel a need to build and play it optimally.  I haven't played him, but I've played commanders that can tutor a couple times, and it is possible to self-impose variety, either by choosing to fetch different cards each time, or build a deck that doesn't have a clear path.  With Zur, you could put in a bunch of cards that only really work depending on your opponents, like token hosers and graveyard hate and color specific effects and such.  Then you could play some group hug stuff, so your opponents get lots of stuff going on for you to react to.  The early game could be group hug, and then you can scout out your opponents' decks and try to figure out the puzzle of how to shut down each strategy and take over the game.  It'll mean sometimes you draw completely dead cards, but it'll also mean that each game will feel like a new puzzle to figure out.  It may not be the winningest Zur deck, but it won't get boring very fast.

K'rrik can definitely be built as a goodstuff commander.  I'm not a big goodstuff fan, but, if I was building mono-black goodstuff, he'd be towards the top of my list of potential commanders.