deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: The Worst Art  (Read 826 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
The Worst Art
« on: December 28, 2023, 05:13:18 am »
Players often talk about how great certain artworks look, and there is a lot of good art, but it's not always amazing. What is the worst MTG art you've ever seen? I'll start:

Robert Bliss is known for including phallic imagery, and the tree here is no exception. It's not just that though; the longer I look at this picture the worse it gets. What bothers me the most about this style is the gangly limbs with the oversized torsos. It's just such a weird distribution of mass that plunges this art right into the uncanny valley.

The other really bad art I've seen:

This is very obviously a rush job, as Carly Mazur's other art does not look like this at all. This looks like collage art. I'm half expecting it to come with a ransom note written with newspaper clippings. This is clearly a side-effect of all the product overload we've been facing and indicates that artists are having trouble meeting deadlines.

itshedge

• local cEDH Unfinity pro. Source: Trust me bro
  • Decks
Re: The Worst Art
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 05:27:15 am »
 I think Carly's definitely gotten better with time, that's for sure. Faithless Looting is one of her 2 first art releases, and she seems to have come from a weird collage / realism style to a really nice stained glass-type of style (like with Queen Allenal of Ruadach, or Meria, Scholar of Antiquity).

With that said, I don't know about the worst art, but I do know that I hate Abomination. Look at that. Bro looks like an uncircumcised penis. So, I guess he lives up to his name, at least.

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 06:50:07 pm »
Word of Command comes to mind, as one of the least interesting pieces of art.  Stasis is a great example of less than exceptional art, on a particularly unpleasant card as well, plus, I don't really get what the art is trying to convey, despite it's simplicity.  Coils of the Medusa was a winner for most childish art, until they released the secret lair where they literally just had kids draw the cards.  But the granddaddy of bad art is Invoke Prejudice.  It literally had to be banned because of how racist it was.  It's not great art from an artistic standpoint, and it's clear reference to the KKK, by a known supporter of white supremacy, makes it the very worst thing possible in MTG Art.

TheMeech

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2024, 02:39:53 pm »
your art is teh worst art