deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Poll

Do you think Capenna would have worked better as the setting of "Murders at Karlov Manor"?

Yes, Capenna is the best setting for a "muder mystery"-themed set.
4 (80%)
No, Ravnica is good.
1 (20%)
No, another plane would have been the best option.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: February 03, 2024, 11:04:08 pm

Author Topic: Opinion on Murders at Karlov Manor setting  (Read 1357 times)

EMaxxi

• Decks
Opinion on Murders at Karlov Manor setting
« on: January 19, 2024, 11:04:08 pm »
This is something that has bugged me for a while, and after seeing the first wave of spoilers, I think the whole detective flavor feels a bit forced in Ravnica - especially when they already have the perfect world for it: Capenna, the plane of demon mob bosses and gangsters.

The story could have revolved around angels trying to bring back law and order in the city. It could have also been a good opportunity to explore Old Capenna (though I imagine not much is left after TWO Phyrexian invasions).

Landale

• Decks
Re: Opinion on Murders at Karlov Manor setting
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 01:22:43 am »
The original Ravnica story had Agrus Kos solving a mystery, so it's not really all that out of place.
The sudden shift in fashion for everyone does leave it feeling like the cards should've been from Capenna.

ClaudMoore

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 12:01:55 pm »
geometry dash 23
Thx so much.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 01:33:29 pm »

The sudden shift in fashion for everyone does leave it feeling like the cards should've been from Capenna.

I heard somewhere that much of the art is unused pieces originally meant for the Capenna set.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 11:20:09 pm »
While New Capenna may have fit the theme and design better, the murders themselves have much more impact on Ravnica because named characters that the community cares about die instead of people created just to die from a story standpoint.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 10:37:07 pm »

I heard somewhere that much of the art is unused pieces originally meant for the Capenna set.

Not hard to imagine...

Capt Forest

• Patron
  • #1 Ranked in Showcase league
    • Facebook
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 12:23:44 am »
OP its funny you should say that about this set and SNC. From what i hear they took unused art from snc and added it to this set.

If you see this and live in the CFL area reach out.

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2024, 04:27:54 pm »
OP its funny you should say that about this set and SNC. From what i hear they took unused art from snc and added it to this set.

I suspected that. Now it's been pretty much confirmed.

Well, It's been exactly 5 years since the last Ravnica block, I guess they need to meet their "Ravnica quota" :P

Calling it now, Zendikar 4.0 in 2025 and Innistrad 4.0 in 2026!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 04:29:48 pm by EMaxxi »

Jazlyn60

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2024, 02:18:03 pm »
Although New Capenna may have aligned better with the theme and design, the murders on Ravnica hold greater impact because they involve named characters that the community cares about, rather than individuals created solely to fulfill a narrative purpose.

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2024, 08:17:04 pm »
Although New Capenna may have aligned better with the theme and design, the murders on Ravnica hold greater impact because they involve named characters that the community cares about, rather than individuals created solely to fulfill a narrative purpose.
I'm not really sure they succeeded there. Teysa's fine, Kylox was new, Tolsimir and Zegana, while established characters, never did anything to actually put themselves in memory, and Agrus just got stuffed in a jar to maybe show up again sometime later. There was little to no impact here, so they could've killed off a handful of New Capenna characters to the same effect.
The only major impact from this is that they went ahead and tacked on a reveal at the end that Niv-Mizzet was ignoring it all to set up turning Ravnica into the center of the multiverse.