deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Pioneer] Mono Black Rats - Opinions, Thoughts, & Advice Appreciated!  (Read 329 times)

EldritchLeopard

• Decks
The main, bare-bones idea for this deck is to fill the field with rats that will then swarm your opponent - each pinging for some extra damage thanks to foul-tongue shriek. Tangled colony and Piper of the Swarm are equipped to fill the field as much as possible while Karumonix sets out to try and provide an emergency second win condition.

The issue I've been seeing in my light playtesting is mostly in the card draw aspect - I tend to put out a rat on turn one that then has to be sacrificed to Village Rites leaving me with no rats at all. Sure, turn two brings a piper or a tangled colony, however neither of those can get me any more rats until turn three - assuming I don't have anything else I need to use them for first.
What I'm struggling with is the fact that I want this deck to stay mono black and I don't want any single card to be priced at >$5, as I don't have the budget for anything super pricey (Yes, $5+ for one card is pricey for me). I know that Red has recently offered a few helpful cards for rat tribal, however, I specifically want this deck to remain mono black.
Is improvement possible for this silly swarm?

tl;dr
I need better card draw and more ways to fill the field with rats while keeping it mono black.

https://deckstats.net/decks/236691/3403540-rats-but-mono-black

AlltheTokens

• Decks
Re: [Pioneer] Mono Black Rats - Opinions, Thoughts, & Advice Appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 02:53:54 pm »
Fanatical Offering might be better for you than Village Rites.  It costs one more mana but that map token can potentially used in several ways, including being sacrificed to another Fanatical Offering.  From my experiences with mono-black in standard, I have found that with cards like Rites and Offering it is best to hold up mana when you have them, try to get some value out of your creatures first by attacking aggressively, then sac the creatures in response to removal.  This baits the removal out of your opponent while still getting your card draw.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 03:06:08 pm by AlltheTokens »