deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Pip-Boy 3000.... is likely going to become a staple like Arcane Signet  (Read 1152 times)

Jesterskull

• Decks
Pip-boy 3000

I feel either we are going to need to do either need a MTG version of this for the future.

Or we going to need another Fallout set (which we easily still can)......I mean there was a lot of Fallout related monsters and characters that didn't make the cut.

Like Benny, the Chinese Stealth Suit, or that giant cannibal whale in Fallout 4 (cut content)...

Honestly was surprised we got Winding Constrictor..... Since the only Snakes in all of Fallout are in Van Buren. (A Cancelled Fallout Game)

Plus I am sure when the TV show releases, we might Fallout TV Show Character cards like the DnD movie did.

(edit: Honestly I could go on for Hours but there nowhere to focus about Fallout and MTG at the same time.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 12:55:56 am by Jesterskull »

Landale

• Decks
I don't really see the comparison to Arcane Signet here. One mana to cast, two to equip, plus whatever for the body in the first place.
It's just a clunky weakened mix of Bear Umbra, Pirate Hat, and Armory of Iroas.

SeptemMTG

• Decks
I think at least in any voltron white/color combination this is handy and almost an auto include.

Jesterskull

• Decks
Yes...... White Voltron.....

Totally not running a Shagrat, Loot Bearer Edh deck stealing the other 3 Pip-Boy 3000 cards this week.

Kelly

• Decks
It's a good point in general though.  I remember playing Half Life deathmatch with mods years ago and seeing Santa Claus beat Ronald McDonald to death with a crowbar.  I was in for it then.  UB is a harder pill for me to swallow though, being mechanically unique.  Magic has always been ridiculous (eg a squirrel equipped with a sword defeating a zombie), but at least there was some manner of consistency in the flavor.  I hope WotC come out with a reskin slot in a future UB masters set or something for those who prefer to keep it 'in universe'.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
This won't be played anywhere near as much as Arcane Signet. It takes three mana upfront and a creature to equip it to. It's closer to Sword of the Animist.

anjinsan

• Decks
The effect is a lot less powerful than any of the ramping swords. It’s 1+2 mana but you also need to have a creature out - you’re not playing this T2 for ramp - and you have to be able to attack with it. Then, you untap lands but you can’t float mana - you can’t use this to cast one big thing. That’s way more limiting.

Obviously it has upside - untap your Cabal Coffers, etc - and flexibility (the looting is also neat, and the counters have their place too) but I’d much rather have Animist or Sword of Blink and Ramp.

Magic has always been ridiculous (eg a squirrel equipped with a sword defeating a zombie), but at least there was some manner of consistency in the flavor.
Yeah, all the cyborg aliens, transforming mech vehicles and all the LotR things are really ruining it for me. I want to go back to the days where we only had a few cyborg aliens and transforming mech vehicles, and only clones of LotR stuff.

EMaxxi

• Decks
I don't really see the comparison to Arcane Signet here. One mana to cast, two to equip, plus whatever for the body in the first place.
It's just a clunky weakened mix of Bear Umbra, Pirate Hat, and Armory of Iroas.
Yeah.
In my experience, raw power trumps flexibility these days. Especially in Commander, where everyone is trying to go over the top of the others.

crimsonking

• Decks
It looks like a mix between Sword of the Animist and Smuggler's Copter, plus a third random ability.
Both cards are quite strong in EDH (although not remotely as omni-present as Arcane Signet) and the versatility is surely a plus.
Personally, I'd have preferred it to be 2 mana to cast and 1 to equip, instead of the other way around.
The way it is costed, it won't trigger before turn 3 (worse than any 2-mana rock or any 1-mana dork, then) and, even then, it will basically pays for its own equip cost.
Moreover, it grants no static buff so, unless you're choosing the +1/+1 ability (the worse of the bunch, I'd say), the equipped creature must be already worth attacking by itself.
A neat card, but nothing spectacular, I'd say. Although the story teaches us that Umezawa's Jitte's three abilities, while unassuming when picked individually, made for a ground-breaking card when merged together.
Time will tell...

crimsonking

• Decks
Magic has always been ridiculous (eg a squirrel equipped with a sword defeating a zombie), but at least there was some manner of consistency in the flavor.
Yeah, all the cyborg aliens, transforming mech vehicles and all the LotR things are really ruining it for me. I want to go back to the days where we only had a few cyborg aliens and transforming mech vehicles, and only clones of LotR stuff.
I agree: WotC is being very lazy with the setting of their expansions, lately.
I mean, Phyrexia: All Will Be One is just the Invasion 2.0 (i.e. a self-rip-off, so to say), Crimson Vow is just a rip-off of the red wedding from Game of Thrones, Strixhaven is a rip-off of Harry Potter, Kaldheim is a carbon-copy of norse mythology, Ikoria is just Godzilla vs King Kong etc.
The last new setting that felt really original to me was Ixalan, 6 years ago (and even that was a clear reference to the age of conquistadores).
This said, MtG hasn't always been like this and, while a point can be made that any high-fantasy setting is basically a rip-off of the Lord of the Ring, I think it's still a kind of unfair statement.

Queervidual

• Niels, Queervidual, Thraben Wanderer
  • Decks
Re: Pip-Boy 3000.... is likely going to become a staple like Arcane Signet
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2024, 01:27:23 pm »
want to go back to the days where we only had a few cyborg aliens and transforming mech vehicles, and only clones of LotR stuff.

Phyrexians be like: WE A JOKE TO YOU? A mere small portion when we were like compleating the narrative since the dawn of storytelling in MTG?
I love synergies, themes and weird combos.
My mind wanders as much as I do.
My crazy ideas are gathered here: https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php?topic=42299.msg115692#msg115692

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2024, 03:54:44 pm »
I hope WotC come out with a reskin slot in a future UB masters set or something for those who prefer to keep it 'in universe'.
I don't think it will ever happen. There is waaaay too much stuff to reskin today compared to 2 years ago, when they made the Stranegr Things Universes Within.
Also, they can't change the cards' text for gameplay consistency so, for example, a lot of the Warhammer 40000 cards can't be reskinned because they are using Warhammer-specfic creature types (Tyranid, Astartes).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 03:56:41 pm by EMaxxi »

anjinsan

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2024, 12:41:59 am »
I agree: WotC is being very lazy with the setting of their expansions, lately.
I mean, Phyrexia: All Will Be One is just the Invasion 2.0 (i.e. a self-rip-off, so to say), Crimson Vow is just a rip-off of the red wedding from Game of Thrones, Strixhaven is a rip-off of Harry Potter, Kaldheim is a carbon-copy of norse mythology, Ikoria is just Godzilla vs King Kong etc.
The last new setting that felt really original to me was Ixalan, 6 years ago (and even that was a clear reference to the age of conquistadores).
This said, MtG hasn't always been like this and, while a point can be made that any high-fantasy setting is basically a rip-off of the Lord of the Ring, I think it's still a kind of unfair statement.
Sorry, Strixhaven is like Harry Potter because... it involves both magic, and a "school" (that's actually a university)? That's like saying that All Will Be One is a ripoff of the Wars of the Roses because both involve people fighting. Original Magic is most definitely more a rip-off of Lord of the Rings (elves, dwarves, etc) than Strixhaven is of anything, apart of course from Arabian Nights which is definitely not ripped off from anything at all.

There isn't really anything truly original these days - but so what? Having a set be deliberately inspired by something because that something is cool seems perfectly legit to me.

EMaxxi

• Decks

ERMTD

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2024, 12:17:55 am »
It’s a good take, even as others mentioned, not nearly as good as Arcane Signet. I think not even close. And you forget that there is a good portion of players like me that do no like universe beyond cards as much.