deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Updateing one of my old decks again. Omnath, Locus of Mana  (Read 251 times)

AlltheTokens

• Decks
Updateing one of my old decks again. Omnath, Locus of Mana
« on: March 26, 2024, 05:29:10 am »
https://deckstats.net/decks/26164/3456447-om-nom-nom-nath

Version one is the deck as it has been for many years.  Yes, I did not realize there were too many cards in it.
When I built this deck every decision I made was influenced by the fact that I really wanted to make use of the Birthing Pod.  I came up with these chains of creatures that I would go through to eventually end up at a big finisher.  The idea was kinda horrible, but the things I did to try to set it up made Omnath himself enough of a threat that the deck worked better than most I built back then. 

The first cut is going to be Birthing Pod.  There is no way to search for it.  It is slow when I do get it.  It either doesn't have enough gas to be good or comes at a point where I don't need it to win anyway.  The things I ended up putting in to be pseudo pods for redundancy work better than it does and the deck can search Yisan, the Wanderer Bard pretty consistently.  The deck can not search Hibernation's End, but it makes enough mana to last a while.  Like the pod it is pretty slow, so it might get cut also.

I think the next cuts should be some of the cards that were really only in there to be used by the pod multiple times.  these are Epocrasite, Masked Admirers and Phytotitan.

Bringing down the curve a bit seems like a good idea, so a few of the bombs need to come out.  Mycoloth almost for sure and maybe one of two more.  There are also a few cards in there that are overcosted for what they do.  Shaman of Spring, for example costs too much for a 2/2 and a card draw (although it is an elf...).  The main reason it went in is that it could draw a card then Birthing Pod would turn it into one of the strong 5 drops like Seedborn Muse or Heroes' Bane.

The big question is what to do with the space I am making.  I could pivot into a more traditional Elf-Ball setup.  This would mean adding a few elf payoff cards to go with the Elf mana package already in the deck.  Ezuri, Renegade Leader, Imperious Perfect, Elvish Warmaster,  things like that.  The problem with that is, I have built elves before and I will most likely do it again, so maybe I feel like doing something different this time.

Another idea is to find some cards that can do fun things with the silly amount of mana Omnath can save up.  Staff of Domination wins games, but I am bored with winning that way.  It is satisfying to pull off a Helix Pinnacle win, so I might throw that in.  The deck floods enough permanents onto the field that the Millennium Calendar might work.  As you can see I am still gravitating toward familiar ground.  I would appreciate some fresh ideas.  What do you guys think?

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: Updateing one of my old decks again. Omnath, Locus of Mana
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 07:41:32 pm »
I wouldn't do elfball. There are so many other commanders that would work better for an elves strategy than Omnath.

AlltheTokens

• Decks
Re: Updateing one of my old decks again. Omnath, Locus of Mana
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 02:07:19 am »
I started making some changes.
Birthing Pod out to fix card count.
Woodfall Primus out for Reclamation Sage.  Sage hits fewer targets, but Primus' CMC is too high.
Mycoloth, Phytotitan, and Epochrasite out for some green goodstuff.  Nature's Lore, Three Visits, and Beast Within.

In my eyes this is just fixing some mistakes I made years ago when I built the deck.  I don't think this will have much effect on what the deck does, but I am fine with that.  This has been one of my favorite decks over the years because of what it is.  It is a deck that applies pressure from turn 3 or 4 and doesn't combo out of nowhere (like most of my decks do).  It is usually the first deck I pull out when playing with new people while I get a feel for the power level of the pod.

I still welcome any ideas that people think might be fun in a deck like this.