deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Superfriends Carth  (Read 257 times)

MagicSwordsman

• Decks
Superfriends Carth
« on: March 29, 2024, 03:12:44 pm »
HI, I wanted to ask you for some advice. I built a superfriends deck with Carth the Lion as the commander, but it´s my first time building a planeswalker deck and also on budget (!) (so no Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider :D).

Thats my deck:
https://deckstats.net/decks/238419/3460556-carth-the-lion-superfriends/de
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 11:54:55 am by MagicSwordsman »

fire5167

• Decks
Re: Superfriends Carth
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2024, 06:04:28 am »
Hi,

I do not have any experience with Golgari walkers, but I have been playing a Jeskai superfriends deck for about 4 years now, and am pretty familiar with gameplay patterns. Here are some of my thoughts, if you are interested:
  • I have a low opinion on proliferate cards. It might sound weird because those cards are good in theory, but I think they fail in practice. Typically, opponents will only spend resources removing your planeswalkers and blockers if they have to (i.e. you are about to ultimate). Proliferating brings you closer to ultimate-ing, but it also paints a giant target on your back and forces removal from your opponent's hand. At least in jeskai, I have found more success in treating the planeswalkers as value engines and grinding value rather than trying to combo off and hit the ultimates as fast as possible. Getting value from pw upticks will not draw attention from opponents, provided you have decent blockers.
  • Good blockers are essential. To be honest, I am not familiar with good golgari blockers as I am jeskai ones, but silent arbiter is great. Perhaps something like permeating mass would do the trick or some cheap deathtouchers... you might have to do some research. Vengeful Pharaoh, maybe even arboreal grazer?
  • Muraganda Petroglyphs might be worth a try especially with all of the tokens your deck generates
  • Fogs are great. Opponents will likely procrastinate expending resources dealing with your PWs until the turn before your ultimate, so a well-timed fog can eliminate your opponent's only chance of dodging an ultimate. Again, if an opponent sees proliferation, it will only scare them into dealing with your board sooner, since the timing of the ultimate is an unknown quantity to them. You can even subtlety say in the pre-game conversation, "I don't play any proliferate spells" to make your deck seem less threating than it actually is (depending on how political you want to get).
  • Karn's Bastion and Interplanar Beacon are overrated. Play Untaidake, the Cloud Keeper. Super slept on card and is very cheap for it's power level. Also I would play one or two indestructible lands; if you have 3 Nissa PWs that animate lands, then indestructible lands make great animation targets. I'd also replace a swamp with Troll of Khazad-dûm, consider the troll to be a tap-land with upside.

Hope this helps let me know if you have any thoughts,
Fire

MagicSwordsman

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2024, 10:05:09 am »
Hi,
Wow, thank you for this incredible comment. It helps me a lot!

Good point with the proliferate, I consider taking it out completely though this consistent proliferate with evolution sage is pretty nice (but of course other will then target you :) ).

I´m suprised that Untaidake is so little used, it´s like a cheap ancient tomb.

I only got one question, probably I´m missing something but what is the advantage of indestructible lands? 😅

Thanks and best regards

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2024, 10:32:39 am »

I only got one question, probably I´m missing something but what is the advantage of indestructible lands? 😅

Protection from land destroying lands, which are becoming more common generally speaking, and land destruction in general. If that's not a problem in your groups, don't worry so much about it.

As for general advice Golgari happens to have one of the best options for blockers; Glissa. Glissa, the Traitor, Glissa Sunslayer, and Glissa, Herald of Predation. Short of Indestructible or Flying these are almost impossible to safely swing into, which helps considerably in getting people to just not swing at all.

MagicSwordsman

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2024, 10:39:46 am »
Thanks! I completely forgot Glissa.

But I think the other advantage of indestructible lands is because Nissa makes the lands creatures and therefore they´re also indestructible. Completely forgot that Nissa makes that 😂

fire5167

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2024, 02:01:57 am »
I was thinking along the lines of Nissa's ability to turn lands into creatures. For example, if you have a Nissa who shakes the world, you can target a Darkmoss Bridge, darkmoss bridge will keep the indestructible keyword, effectivly giving you an indestructible blocker which is immune to things like doom blade and wrath of god. Normally, I don't bother putting indestructible lands in my decks, but in this case, they might be worth it.

But I think the other advantage of indestructible lands is because Nissa makes the lands creatures and therefore they´re also indestructible. Completely forgot that Nissa makes that 😂
Yup exactly
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 03:29:33 am by fire5167 »