deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Session aktualisieren button and then try again.

Autor Thema: Question about first commander deck  (Gelesen 279 mal)

marywilson

• Decks
Question about first commander deck
« am: Mai 09, 2024, 10:10:39 Vormittag »
Hi everyone, I just started playing commander with a pile of random cards and am enjoying it, so I am thinking about investing a bit of money into a deck.

I am indecisive between two decks, with the following pros/cons in my eyes:

vampire tribal with Edgar Markov as captain: pros - I think it's a strong archetype, and I already have a bunch of vampires laying around. Cons - commander is expensive, and a lot of the cards are vampire specific which means I can't really use them in a different deck.

mardu sacrifice with awakened the blood avatar as commander: pros - cards are more flexible and can be used in different decks, cheap commander. Cons - initial testing on arena seems to indicate the deck isn't all that strong

Do you have any recommendations on how to choose between these two, or any other tips in general? Thank you!

UrizenII

• Decks
Re: Question about first commander deck
« Antwort #1 am: Mai 09, 2024, 06:25:32 Nachmittag »
It really depends on your budget.  Edgar Markov was the face commander in the Commander 2017 preconstructed deck, but because he's only ever had a limited print run with that product (and because Eminence is broken), he alone is over $100, and I doubt you're going to be able to find a sealed copy of his deck (Vampiric Bloodlust), let alone for a reasonable price.

The other thing to consider is what kind of deck you'd like to play and your preferred play style.  Edgar is pretty straightforward.  It's vampire tribal, and I don't think there's too much variance in how people typically build decks around him: cast vampires, make vampires, make vampires big, swing.  The +1/+1 counters can get kind of annoying to keep track of because of the number of tokens you're making, but that's a minor issue.  If you sit down at a table with Edgar as your commander, understand that you probably will be correctly assessed as a significant threat before you even start playing.  If it wasn't for his Eminence ability, even if he cost 1 or 2 less to cast, he wouldn't be nearly as oppressive.

Extus/Blood Avatar probably does give you a bit more flexibility with deck design, but it's also more difficult to build well - although there are several three or four card combos that go infinite and win on the spot (though I typically don't like playing infinite combos).  Ultimately, it is an aristocrats style deck: sack a bunch of your creatures to drain your opponents of life, recur them or make more, rinse, and repeat.  The Magecraft ability on Extus turns out to be more of a useful incidental thing than it is something you can reliably build the whole deck around (although it would be interesting to see it done that way).  In reality, you're probably actually not going to be casting Extus all that much but rather making a bunch of tokens to sacrifice to Blood Avatar and keep recasting that.  It's not as threatening as Edgar would be and will likely be cheaper to build.  However, keep in mind that, because Blood Avatar hurts all of your opponents equally, it can incentivize the table to collectively deal with you.

Personally, if it were me, I'd go with Extus, if only for the cost.  I can't fathom spending over $100 on a single card, especially for my first ever deck.  The Eminence mechanic is quite imbalanced and not exactly fun either in my opinion.  I wouldn't worry too much about the deck not being "strong" just off Arena testing.  While it can be a bit more clunky than Edgar would, it can certainly hold its own in most pods.  That being said, if the people with whom you play are OK with proxies (most people are in most cases, especially when playtesting a new deck), proxy both and play both.  See which one you like more.

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Antwort #2 am: Mai 09, 2024, 09:38:43 Nachmittag »
Consider the overall power level of your playgroup.

Edgar Markov is a very strong commander.
Like, banned-in-1v1 strong.
He will attract a lot of hate from other people at the table and can lead to some frustrating experiences if the rest of your deck can't keep up.

Also, I find synergy-based decks like aristocrats more fun to play and build than just aggro, but that's me.

Landale

• Decks
« Antwort #3 am: Mai 09, 2024, 10:56:05 Nachmittag »
Consider the overall power level of your playgroup.

Edgar Markov is a very strong commander.
Like, banned-in-1v1 strong.
He will attract a lot of hate from other people at the table and can lead to some frustrating experiences if the rest of your deck can't keep up.
This is probably the most important thing to keep in mind in general. If you show up to casual games with a notoriously high powered commander at best people are going to immediately respond by going 3v1 on you, at worst they'll tell you to play another deck or screw off.
It doesn't hurt to have a deck of this kind of power on hand, even if you never intend to go into higher powered or even cEDH level games, just to be able to bring down someone who isn't respecting group power levels but you don't want that to be your only deck.

If you're wanting to do vampires for sure, maybe try Licia, Sanguine Tribune if you're wanting to stick to Mardu. She easily cheats her high cost, as well as command taxes, and quickly grows into a very lethal threat, but she can be easily interacted with so players are going to be significantly less hostile toward you for playing her. Being $100 cheaper than Edgar is a plus too.
If you want to go Orzhov or Rakdos Vampires there's no shortage of great options either.

ERMTD

• Decks
« Antwort #4 am: Mai 10, 2024, 10:27:39 Vormittag »
Hey there,

if you like vampires, I would look maybe for a alternative. Edgar is, as other have written, very expensive, very straightforward and has also a certain reputation. If you like to try out vampires in general, look maybe at EDHrec for other commanders that fit into the vampire tribal scheme and look for one that makes your gears turn. I am saying this not to discourage you from building Edgar, but 100 Eur is a lot, regarding that you can actually build a whole deck that is fun and keep up for that price alone. You have many interesting commanders that can be build as vampire tribal like Clavileño, First of the Blessed, Evelyn, the Covetous, Elenda, the Dusk Rose, Licia, Sanguine Tribune or Olivia Voldaren. There is also a cheaper vampire-themed precon with Strefan, Maurer Progenitor at the helm called "Vampiric Bloodlines" that cost around 25 bucks. For the price of Edgar, you can buy that precon, upgrade it as you want and have fun at the table.

Cheers!

EMaxxi

• Decks
« Antwort #5 am: Mai 10, 2024, 12:01:32 Nachmittag »
If you want to go Orzhov or Rakdos Vampires there's no shortage of great options either.

It helps that we got 2 precons in less than 3 years  ;D

Also, if you don't mind losing access to red, new Vito from LCI lets you combine the Vampire tribal and aristocrats strategies.
https://edhrec.com/commanders/vito-fanatic-of-aclazotz
« Letzte Änderung: Mai 10, 2024, 12:05:32 Nachmittag von EMaxxi »