deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: EDH Black White Blue Mode Vrs - Comments  (Read 244 times)

Comment Bot

EDH Black White Blue Mode Vrs - Comments
« on: March 16, 2015, 02:02:43 am »
This is the comment topic for EDH Black White Blue Mode Vrs.

Please use the Reply button to comment. If you do not have an account yet, please use the link on top to register.

Dies ist das Kommentarthema für EDH Black White Blue Mode Vrs.

Bitte benutze den Knopf "Reply", um einen Kommentar zu schreiben. Wenn du noch kein Benutzerkonto hier hast, benutze bitte den Link "Register" (oben) um dich zu registrieren.

Utilityman

• Decks
Re: EDH Black White Blue Mode Vrs - Comments
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 02:02:44 am »
So to start off, I'm going to go through mostly each card of the deck in the review, just preparing you for the giant block of everything that's about to come down. Aside from that, to keep this up against an elf deck or a green-red aggro deck, that's hard. I've played against elf decks where
Akroma's Memorial comes down on turn three and on turn 4 they can swing for ~25 damage, basically unblockable, flying, vigilance, haste, everything else. Turn 5 they have me scooping my cards. To me, that's not why EDH is a magic format. EDH is made so 4 or more players can get together and have a long drawn out game where if one person gets too strong, that person is going to be bashed by the other 3. It's all checks and balances to a degree and the game should be lasting (for everybody) for more than 5 turns. In the end though, it is nice to win so my two cents on the matter is if you want to beat a competitive elf or hard aggro deck, build a deck specifically to ward off those types of decks or just don't worry about it. (if your playgroup plays a lot of aggro strategies look at cards like Ghostly Prison, Windborn Muse or Propoganda). Personally, the way I play EDH is to get to a place where I can very evidently unconditionally win and then I don't win. I keep playing just for the sake of playing the game.

If this is the deck. The deck that you're looking to counter aggro decks, Oloro is the right colors to get the job done and a great commander to lead the charge.

The only thing about lands I'll say is that you could easily use one or two less but that's just my personal preference to use 37-38 lands. It's nice to be able to throw in that extra card or two.

For the Spells! (well noncreature spells)
Act of Authority - this is a card made for EDH. My problem is it could easily work very against your favor. You exile their Darksteel Forge, they exile your Crawlspace and then angrily attack you with a lot more than 2 creatures.
Brilliant Plan - I have my draw card EDH deck and I tried to stay away from cards like this. It's a flat amount of mana for a flat amount of cards. For the same mana you could draw the same amount of cards with Braingeyser. Plus you could use it to get different amounts of cards depending on what stage of the game you're at.
Cradle of Vitality - This card is actually really good but you need cards to back it up. It needs some sort of big heal spell to back it up or else it's just putting a mediocre amount of counters on something.
Crawlspace - This card is just what you're looking for. The best part about it is that it shouldn't generate that much hate on the table, it only discourages people from attacking you. Combine this with Maze of Ith and you can feel pretty safe inside your crawlspace.
Curse of the Forsaken - Put a big X on a player at the table and give you more outlets for draw power with Oloro. The only way I would replace this is if you want to not be involved at all in combat and to just sit behind a wall and draw cards and drain your opponents lives.
Darksteel Mutation - I'm not a big fan of this card. Sure it's pseudo removal but for the same mana you could have a black kill spell (which would be equally as not as great). A blue replacement to this card could be Control Magic or Treachery. If someone has enough mana to play some huge creature and you need to get rid of it, you probably are going to have enough mana to cast a Control Magic. Why sort of get rid of it if you could just take it? Also at my card shop, I picked up a Control Magic in the "dollar rare bin", so they're not hard to come by. Plus if you're playing against an artifact deck, they might enjoy having another indestructible artifact on the field. As for a black replacement for the card, think Dregs of Sorrow. It costs a lot more but in EDH that's fine. If you have 10 mana you could kill 5 creatures and draw 5 cards, that's really good and very possible to have happen. If Dregs of Sorrow isn't a replacement for this card, I would put it somewhere in this deck because it is a very very good card.
Death Grasp - Death Grasp is exactly what you would expect from a Black/White spell. Another card you should consider, in addition to this card, is Sphinx's Revelation. Exactly what you would expect of a Blue/White spell. Something that should be considered with these X cards, is how you're going to fuel them. Manarocks or ramp spells? Things like sol ring, Gilded Lotus or Thran Dynamo do wonders to fan the fire for these cards. (Death Grasp, Sphinx's Revelation, Braingeyser, Dregs of Sorrow)
Deep Analysis - This card is really good. If it's in the graveyard. For a 4 mana draw card, I would much rather see Foresee because it digs so much deeper and in EDH, often times digging holds more value. If this card had its flashback cost as its regular cost, it would be an autoinclude.
Dromar's Charm - Yes. Charms are good.
Exquisite Blood - Yes. This couldn't be a deck without it. There's tons and tons of synergy with this card.
Famine - This is the card that I would replace for Dregs of Sorrow. If something else, Bile Blight might do the same job for less cost too. "Ah I see you have a lot of beasts/elfs/wizards" "Yes, indeed I do. I am proud of my army." "Wouldn't it be a shame if I - BILE BLIGHTED EVERYTHING!"
Greed - This is perfect for the deck. If you want another variation on this, look to Erebos God of the Dead but this card is half the cost, far more powerful.
Lim-Dul's Vault - Great for cycling for that one card that you need. Just be ready - what is the card you're looking for?
Nevinyrral's Disk - I know people love wrath's but I'm not a big fan. I don't like resetting the board state. this one might be a good exception though. the fact that it comes at 1 mana at instant speed actually makes this fairly good. Someone pulls of a crazy play and has a 9000/9000 unblockable, shroud, haste, trample, flying. Adios, it's gone. We're all safe.
Nihil Spellbomb - great for a sideboard but not much besides that. Is someone in your play group playing a graveyard deck? If so then run this card else, it's something that you could replace with a mana rock.
Obelisk of Esper - Speaking of manarocks. In addition to this one, consider Gilded Lotus. It's a great card all around.
Oblivion Ring - spot removal isn't the best thing for EDH just because it's a one shot thing. Instead of this, look at Silence the Believers. 1 more mana and the possibility of not killing, but permanently exiling multiple creatures.
Order of Succession - Here's a great EDH because hey I want that Blightsteel Colossus that you just summoned. But then again, the last person might just steal it from you. You might want Mind Control or Control magic here. Or perhaps another card because you only need so many Control Magics.
Phyrexian Reclamation - Great EDH card and the life cost doesn't matter all that much you at all. Card advantage via graveyard recursion.
Pristine Talisman - The perfect manarock for this deck. Usually I wouldn't recommend a colorless mana rock but since it helps out so much with Oloro it's perfect.
Psychic Strike - Good counter with mill. 3 CMC is good for a counter spell.
Reckless Spite - A absolutely fantastic card. I wouldn't recommend anything else.
Ring of Evos Island - I would look to Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves. The only reason being that it gives temporary hexproofing and Oloro is fairly heavy by himself. He doesn't need +1/+1 counters. He just needs hexproof to save him from spot removal
Sanguine Bond - Yes. It wins you the game instantly if you have Exquisite Blood out on the field too.
Sol Ring - Of course it's here.
Spinal Embrace - Wow. I didn't know about this card. You can kill two of their creatures while gaining control of one of them. Even better if the card has an activated ability. Take the card, block with it, kill the attacker, use the activated ability and then sacrifice it.
Sun Droplet - Pretty good card. It's a bit slow but it gives fuel for Oloro and if you can drop something like Rhox Faithmender where you double life gains then this gets even better.
Survival Cache - Very good sorcery. And of course you're going to have more life than your opponent.
Swiftfoot Boots - Best Commander Gear ever (besides maybe Lightning Greaves)
Tempt with Immortality - Great card. If you have some fatties in the graveyard your opponents will be afraid to bring back anything of their own.
Thopter Foundry - I would cut this. If you could sacrifice any artifact it would be so much better but you've got to kill an essential artifact to get a 1/1. Goodbye sol ring, hello 1/1 Thopter. Not a good idea. To counter your dreaded aggro deck, consider this a spot for Propaganda.
Toxic Deluge - Another wrath, resets the field. Is it good? Yes. Do I like it? Not really. Everything marches off to the graveyard and that's not too beneficial to you. Again, depending on the situation it could be great. But I would replace this for Ghostly Prison easy. Make a wall instead of tearing everything down. People won't hate you as much this way.
Well of Lost Dreams - Why pay Oloro's effect when you can pay this! (Well Oloro does drain opponent's health but this nets more cards)
Whip of Erebos - Yes sir, I would like to hit you with my Serra Avatar with lifelink.
Wrath of God - another wrath. If you're looking for more components for a wall you could throw in Sphere of Safety.

Creatures!
Agent of Erebos - It all depends on your groups playstyle. Also if you decide to play with Sphere of Safety, it has synergies with that.
Ajani's Pridemate - Great card for this but this card will probably get removed quickly as it's a evident threat. Maybe Nyx-Fleece Ram because it's nonthreatening and it stops most early threats.
Augury Adept - If you hit the person it's great but it's going to be hard to actually hit the person unless you make this guy unblockable which you don't have much or any of. Open for replacement probably. Maybe grab Laboratory Maniac just for the alternative wincon.
Azorius Herald - 4 health, good. Can't be blocked, that's nice. A fairly good low drop
Disciple of Griselbrand - Great card. Super awesome for combat. If your guy is going to die, just sacrifice him to get something out of it.
Diviner Spirit - Something from the 2013 commander decks that I'm not too fond of. People will let you hit you with him but there's better cards that can benefit only you. Maybe Mulldrifter?
Divinity of Pride - Yep. Autoinclude.
Filigree Angel - You might need more artifacts for this to be awesome in the deck. But it still is pretty good. Even if you've only got it as an artifact on the field you get a little bit of a heal and a nice body in the air.
Myr Battlesphere - Combos with Filigree Angel but not much else. If I were you I would probably cut the artifact interactions for more protection and stuffs.
Phyrexian Delver - good for EDH, good for you deck. You got rid of my Serra Avatar? I think not.
Phyrexian Gargantua - I prefer Phyrexian Rager
Razor Hippogriff - If you want to run artifacts, you need more artifacts else this guy can leave. If you want more artifacts try Myr Retriever instead of this.
Royal Assassin - It's a good card but it's going to be targeted. Still a good card regardless. I would only replace him with a fatty. Maybe like Guard Gomazoa or Fog Bank
Serene Master - This card is hilarious, I would keep him in.
Serra Avatar - This is obviously needed in the deck
Sharding Sphinx - Good but again, it plays more into artifacts which are a part of this deck but not an overwhelming part of the deck.
Sharuum the Hegemon - This card is excellent because it's any artifact. Doesn't matter if you're running mostly artifacts or not. The fact that you can bring one thing back from the graveyard is good enough to be in the deck.
Sphinx of the Steel Wind - Great fatty for the deck. The biggest things on this guy is the vigilance and lifelink so that you can gain life attacking and blocking
Stormscape Battlemage - Very versatile and great card. It's life gain and removal on a stick so boom it's good. It's going to make an impact on the game in a nonthreatening way.
Sydri Galvanic Genius - I don't think you're running enough noncreature, expendable artifacts to see this have an impact. This is a card that turns manarocks into 3/3s that you're not afraid of losing. You don't want to turn Crawlspace into a 3/3 creature to have it die.
Tidal Force - This card is hilarious but you don't have anything to really abuse it with. Well you do, but you need a few more. It's great with Royal Assassin but if you threw and Arcanis the Omnipotent into the deck you could be drawing 3 cards during each of your opponents turns.
Tidehollow Strix - A good low drop. It's got coverage in the sky so no matter when you drop him, you can kill their 10/10 flyer with just this guy.
Tower Gargoyle - It's a very good card for is CMC but there's got to be something out there that can be better. Something that interacts with health or something.
Vizkopa Guildmage - Definitely needs to be one of the 99. Gives lifelink to Serra Avatar to hit for huge. Gives you a temporary Sanguine Bond for when you don't draw it. Perfect
Wall of Reverence - A good wrap up to the deck. If you've got anything on the field you're going to be getting value out of this card.

I subscribe to a guy called Roxaboxen90 on youtube and he does great top ten videos and here's got one for Esper cards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9OYCGzqr9k&list=PL6kHUsdv5GII5ygupbFS7yNm1Ibsgarau&index=2
If you want to set up a huge fort to sit behind of check out http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/deck-creation-modern/477657-pillow-fort-prison
Also one artifact I think that you're going to need in here is Chalice of Life. Net you some life and then kill everyone turn by turn
Also some tutors might do you some good.
Fabricate, Enlightened Tutor, Mystical Tutor, Diabolical/Demonic Tutor, Long-Term Plans would all be good. With all the enchantments, I would definitely look at Enlightened Tutor and with all of the artifacts and artifact creatures Fabricate would also do you good.
What you absolutely need for the deck though is a Rhox Faithmender. No questions. I'm sure that there's an infinite combo somewhere with Mind Over Matter. Laboratory Maniac will do good if you end up drawing yourself out often. Other than that it looks like a good deck and just needs a few cards here and there to make it better. More artifacts or less artifacts. Sphinx Sovereign maybe? More pillow fort or less pillow fort. Those are two thing that you need to worry about. True Conviction is something you might want if you want to fight. You're health will be disgustingly high.

good luck with the deck, it looks great!
utilityman

KraggGrimm1

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 05:09:12 pm »
Made some changes to it so far thanks for help.

KraggGrimm1

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 06:11:15 pm »
Essense harvest to play with cradle of vitality and avatar.  control magic to take there fatty.  abberition it is EDH alot of graveyards haha. Tutor dah I should have seen that one. New Prahv to gain flying and detain creature. and forsee to draw.  I am thinking wight of precet six and mantivore to get two more fattys.  and I also added sun titan good card and the bring back feature.