deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] UW Control - return of the infamous  (Read 734 times)

xDIABOx

• Decks
[Standard] UW Control - return of the infamous
« on: April 05, 2015, 05:59:51 pm »
Hullo lads,

Remember that UW deck from a season ago, with Elixir of Immortality and counters and stuff??
Well, it's back! Or it will be... this is my sketch: http://deckstats.net/decks/32544/225207-uw-control
And I'll bet some pro will use some sort of version of it.

The "old" UW Control deck won games by heavy grind and Elspeth, Sun's Champion as win-con. This deck can also grind, has a better draw due to Anticipate and Narset Transcendent and has more win-cons.
Myth Realized as a drop1 is insane in the deck. If you'll have in your opening hand it will make a huge swing post-End Hostilities. It's the 1-drop a control deck really wants!
Also, Secure the Wastes is such a viable card that can act as a direct-counter to Tokens/Warriors or as late-game finisher. It's the Elspeth in instant form.

There are some cards I'm considering in Maybeboard.
Polymorphist's Jest: I've thought of this card to shutdown fast-beaters. It would be a sideboard card and would enter with Raise the Alarm to provide trades in our favor. It's not the best card but it's cheap. It will be the last to consider.
Aetherspouts: I'm really considering using two on maindeck, trading Fated Retribution + 1 Reprisal. It will do so much against Tokens but against Siege Rhino decks it will not do that much. Good thing is that it's an Instant, and can give this deck some tempo. Really considering it!
Learn from the Past: another one I would consider maindecking. This is the Elixir effect without the life gain but with a cantrip. There's nothing wrong in a cantrip, reshuffle and Instant speed. But I dunno how it would work with Dig Through Time, maybe I would have to cut the number of Digs and try another approach. In study.
Valorous Stance: not that much of a card here. It would only be used against Courser of Kruphix because it's annoying but nothing else. Reprisal does a better job covering both our a$$ and Narset's a$$ too.

So, what are your thoughts about it?

xDIABOx

• Decks
Re: [Standard] UW Control - return of the infamous
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 07:17:08 pm »
Version 2

Some changes have been made.

Secure the Wastes wasn't the mainboard card this deck needed. Against Control decks it doesn't work neither against Midranged ones. It's still a good card against most Aggro decks and also Tokens since it can trade well against x/1 creatures.

I've changed it for 4 copies of Raise the Alarm. In this build it will give some defense against Aggro pre-Sideboard but also will give you 2 Soldiers that can put some damage against Control players that aren't eager to spend their spot removal in tokens. Also, it counts for Myth Realized and most importantly, it will provide a good relation between cost-creatures and is a cheap spell that gives the deck space to be played along with other counterspells as Secure the Wastes is mana greedy and will not give you the same sort of room.

I've also made changes in the sweepers. 3 End Hostilities and 1 Aetherspouts for instant speed and good against Tokens. I'm still evaluating the strenght of this card. Also 1 Fated against Mirror or heavy Planeswalker decks with another copy in SB.

Dig Through Time vs Treasure Cruise in this deck?
That's a big question... I'm trading them from match to match. Sometimes Dig acts better, other times Cruise gives me all I want (spells + land).

Counters, big changes.
Swan Song proved to be a really efficient counter, not only in the counterspell-war but also to protect your Myth Monk from spot removal. Also, the bird is not that much of a problem since it will chump block the Monk if he's buffed enough.
And with the inclusion of Planeswalkers everywhere Negate is becoming a much important maindeck card.

In Sideboard I've also changed things.
Secure the Wastes as already been told. Fated also. 1+ copy of each counter against Mirror.
Banishing Light is the silver bullet against Planeswalkers or some sort of combo-ish cards (like Ascendancies).
Encase in Ice is also a silver bullet against SB Dragon and other similar threats.
Learn from the Past is a card against xUB or xU, it will give the same edge Elixir gave back in the days with a cantrip instead of lifegain. Also great bullet against Ashiok.
And Elspeth because I'm out of ideas into another SB slot.