deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Help out the "noob"  (Read 1206 times)

meatshield1976

• Decks
Help out the "noob"
« on: August 25, 2013, 05:59:58 pm »
My kid just got me into mtg a week ago. I never thought I'd like a game like this but ever since he got me into it I've been hooked. I ended up gettin with some of the other soldiers in my platoon who also play and got myself some cards.  Anyway I've doing some research and ended up putting a red/green "aggro deck I believe" deck together. I would like have some experienced players look it over and give me some input. My son wants me to go to some tournaments with him and I would like a deck that's at least competitive. I'm not sure if I have to copy URL for my deck for someone to look at. I just started to use this sight this morning. I would definitely appreciate some assistance

blurmcclure18

• Decks
Re: Help out the "noob"
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 11:05:12 pm »
Well this would all depend on what kind of tourneys u goto mostly there r standard tourneys which if u don't know what is in standard I recommend going here https://www.wizards.com/Magic/tcg/resources.aspx  this site will tell u everything u need to no about formats and rules. As for ur deck when I build my decks I like to think about what the colors I want to use mean to me for instance red means burn burn burn. Black means kill. Green means grow or big creatures. White means life and blue means intelligence. So when I go to make my deck I try to find cards that fit the theme of the colors. I am a very big control fan. Control meaning I can determine if ur going to play ur spell or even if u get a turn at all. But I also like aggro decks. If u have any questions just keep posting and if u want some deck ideas feel free to look at some of mine just click on my username and click on my decks. ESPER FTW!!!

AeroSigma

• Decks
Re: Help out the "noob"
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 10:35:48 pm »
Ya, we can see your decks by just clicking the "My Decks" link under your avatar here on the forums.

Once you know what format you'll be playing at the tournies (Standard, Modern, etc.) if you want to be competitive, look online for winning decks in that format.  Check out mtgtop8.com which collects and sorts the winning decklists from tournaments.

Take a deck that looks fun, and start building it.  Once you've been playing it a while you, and you really know why each card is in there, then you can start tweaking it as you see fit (because by then, you'll be one of the 'experienced players')

The truly competitive decks usually have some expensive cards, so based on your disposable income, it may take you a while to put it together. A lot of the expensive cards have less expensive alternatives that you could play in the mean time.  However, the more you play with those versions, you'll realize that they are cheaper because they're less effective.

Also, start attending Friday Night Magic at your Local Game Store (with your son!) to get into the tournament mentality.  These tend to be a little bit more forgiving of deck choices too.