deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] BW Ally Deck  (Read 4277 times)

StLRPh

• Decks
[Standard] BW Ally Deck
« on: November 09, 2015, 12:18:01 am »
BW Ally Deck

BW Ally Deck that I ran today.  Went 2-3.  Didn't do well against heavy control and it was a little slow in it's first iteration.  The Side Board has cards I don't own but am thinking of adding.  Any suggestions are welcome.  I'd like to make it more competitive and I'm OK with putting some money into it if that's what it takes.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: [Standard] BW Ally Deck
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 08:47:06 am »
I'll help you with your deck construction and don't worry it won't cost you an arm or a leg like most deck builds.
   Firstly you're going for the ally rally trigger with this deck so you're gonna want to play many allies as often as possible. That's why you should add the retreat to emeria. This way every time you play a land you get a new ally and kalastria healer's effect activates. Then if you add vampiric rites to the deck you can sacrifice the kor tokens for health, draw a card, and zulaport cuthroat's effect also activates.
   Next is the mana base. I'm not sure why people like caves of kolis so much but scoured barrens is a better choice because you get the same dual land and +1 health. Just add more basic lands and you'll get the speed you need. Also try running less copies of high drops and you won't be hand clogged when it comes to mana.
    Also in this deck I'm not sure if you want to attack as often as possible or not but if you add some nirkana assassins then it will deter blocking form the enemy when you gain life (especially if you're playing tandem tactics when they least expect it). Really making this deck more focused on the vampires of  Zendikar and less on other creatures from other blocks will make this deck more cohesive. Humans and kor are welcome if they add to the strength of the deck.

StLRPh

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 08:42:30 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been tweaking it since I posted this and need to update when I get a chance.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 06:13:31 am »
That will be fine with me. Just give me the heads up when you're ready and we can work together on it if you wish to accept my assistance.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 08:33:57 pm »
people like caves of kolios because it don't come in tapped unlike scoured barrens and can be used the turn it is played. I personally would for starters check to get shambling vent and even possible a drana or 2.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 06:52:20 am »
It's understandable. My only thing is that I don't like to trade life for speed if i can help it. I'm mostly black so i'm use to sacrificing and forcing other players to pay my life costs for me or I'll do health drain. But whatever works best for you. I would just hate to use that card repeatedly to get mana every turn that I actually have to pay to use.

StLRPh

• Decks
Re: BW Ally Deck - Comments
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 10:59:09 pm »
This is what the deck currently looks like:  https://deckstats.net/decks/49179/342215-bw-ally-deck

Quite a bit different than before.  Really like retreat to emeria but not sure exactly where to put it.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 11:03:30 pm »
You could cut down on the bone splinters, and side board the lantern scout (unless you actually want to attack more often than stealing health). Look at the cards you have more than 2 of and ask yourself; "Do i really need THIS many of the same card?" 4 nantukos are cool but if the deck is ALLY themed then are you really going to want that many in a deck that focuses and can better utilize the zulaport cuthroat and vampiric rites combo? Just an idea rally effects are killer in this deck if you play it right.

StLRPh

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 11:19:11 pm »
-2 Nantuko Husk
-1 Bone Splinters

+3 Retreat to Emeria

Something like this?  I usually use Husk as something to sacrifice creatures to but with Altar's Reap and Vampiric Rites that shouldn't be an issue.

I go back and forth between using Mortuary Mire and Rogue's Passage.  Rogue's has come in handy a few times with Drana or a buffed Husk.

StLRPh

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 11:28:25 pm »
Retreat to Hagra might be an option too. 

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 11:33:42 pm »
They are both good options and yes the ratio you suggested is good. the alter's reap is good because you get two cards you're probably sacrificing a kor token (that you can make every turn), and your zulaport cuthroat is getting a good work out. Focus on what you want the deck  to do as a whole and the pieces will fall into place.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 01:50:39 am »
It's understandable. My only thing is that I don't like to trade life for speed if i can help it. I'm mostly black so i'm use to sacrificing and forcing other players to pay my life costs for me or I'll do health drain. But whatever works best for you. I would just hate to use that card repeatedly to get mana every turn that I actually have to pay to use.

It isn't the speed really so much I was thinking of. There is enougn life gain in this deck to offset Caves, also
caves can be used as colorless mana. With enough basic lands you have more option to use it as a colorless mana .
In a pinch is where you use W/B mana. Cause agreed that constantly doing 1 damage to self while gaining
1 life is well............ pointless
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

dakkaknight

• Decks
Re: BW Sacrificial Allies - Comments
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 05:29:54 am »
I'll second ditching the Nantuko Husks. They aren't offering much for Rally, and you have more profitable sac outlets. You can fit Retreat to Emeria or Retreat to Hagara in those slots, or Kor Bladewhirl if you're interested in direct attacks as your path to victory.

StLRPh

• Decks
Re: BW Sacrificial Allies - Comments
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 02:22:07 pm »
Made a few more changes.  Took out all the Nantuko Husks and play with 4 Retreat of Emeria.  Kept the Bone Splinters in for the time being.  Played a few hands last night at Xmage and really like the synergy of the deck and it's faster than I'd thought it would be.  Updated the Sideboard a bit too.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 02:36:35 pm »
Glad the improvements worked out in your favor.