deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Aggiorna Sessione button and then try again.

Autore Topic: [Legacy] Izzet Controlling Burn...ish...HELP ME PLEASE  (Letto 1111 volte)

BelligerentDemon

• Decks
[Legacy] Izzet Controlling Burn...ish...HELP ME PLEASE
« il: Gennaio 09, 2016, 10:15:41 pm »
Izzet Controlling Burn...ish

I want to use this at school and FNMs, and i would like to reduce the card count some. Thoughts on what to add or remove? Comments are super helpful!!! Most of these cards i have, i just need one or two more copies of it. Also, i need some sideboard cards. Hate comments welcome, this is my first true home made deck, but if you do hate it, tell me why so i can improve.
Thank you!

jonnie

• EDH Degenerate | Washed-up Modern Player
  • Decks
Re: [Legacy] Izzet Controlling Burn...ish...HELP ME PLEASE
« Risposta #1 il: Gennaio 09, 2016, 11:30:39 pm »
You definitely want to play no more than 60 cards in any given deck.
Your currently deck struggles with identity. There's a lot of things in here, but they don't really work together.
There are a few things to consider when making an Izzet deck. What's your clock (the average turn you want to win by), what's your play style, and what's your budget.

First let's talk budget.
Izzet is one of the most popular color combinations in Magic. Competitive decks in Modern or Legacy like UR Delver, Grixis Control/Midrange, Twin Exarch, or Storm can run you upwards of $2000.
With staple cards like Scalding Tarn ($100 each), Snapcaster Mage ($60 each), Cryptic Command ($25 each), Electrolyze ($5 each), Remand ($6 each), Serum Visions ($8 each), and Spell Snare ($8 each), prices can get out of hand pretty quickly for your every day player.
This isn't to say, however, that it's impossible to build a fun and casually competitive deck in the Izzet colors. The important thing to understand is that if you intend to make your deck more competitive, you're going to be looking at spending quite a lot of money.

The next thing to go into is clock and play style.
Your clock is dependent on your play style. If you're an aggressive player, you're going to want to win sooner than later. The opposite is true for a control player.
I'll be talking about the following deck types: Aggro, Combo, Tempo, and Control. The decks are ordered in terms of clock with aggro being the fast and control being the slowest.

Aggro
Aggro decks are decks that are usually creature based and look to win within a 5 turn clock.
Depending on the deck, aggro decks will also run burn spells, removal, and pump spells to help facilitate their creatures.
The majority of aggro decks don't run cards with a higher mana cost than 4.
Example Creatures: Snapcaster Mage, Delver of Secrets, Monastery Swiftspear, True-Name Nemesis, Abbot of Keral Keep, Eidolon of the Great Revel, Goblin Guide, and Grim Lavamancer.
Example Spells: Vapor Snag, Lava Spike, Lightning Bolt, Rift Bolt, Searing Blaze, Roast, Temur Battle Rage, and Titan's Strength.
Decks to Look Up: UR Delver and Red Deck Wins

Combo
Combo decks look to exploit the interaction of certain cards and look to win within a 5 turn clock.
Such an interaction is the one with Deceiver Exarch and Splinter Twin, allowing you go create infinite creatures. Or in storm where you just chain cast a bunch of spells and then burn your opponent with Grapeshot.
Decks to Look Up: Storm and Splinter Twin

Tempo
Tempo isn't necessarily a deck. It's more or less a method of playing that helps facilitate a deck towards reaching it's goal.
To tempo your opponent is to delay them long enough for you to reach a state in which you can win.
Tempo isn't quite counter magic, but it is about buying time and digging for the right cards; however, tempo can be used to create a state of control.
Tempo relies a lot on the use of cantrips or cards that let you draw more cards, as well as early game counter spells.
Example Spells: Cryptic Command, Electrolyze, Remand, Serum Visions, Spell Snare, Sleight of Hand, Gitaxian Probe, and Thought Scour.

Control
Control is about creating a state in which you limit your opponent's abilities to do anything. Control usual doesn't have a creature based win con, and when it does, it's considered a midrange deck rather than control.
Most Izzet control decks make use of the color black, turning it into Grixis. Black gives you a lot of great options, such as removal spells and powerful creatures, but I'll primarily be talking about Izzet colors.
Here is where you'll see more late game counter and draw spells being used.
Example Cards: Cryptic Command, Mana Leak, Rune Snag, Pia and Kiran Nalaar, Jace, Architect of Thought, and Keranos, God of Storms.
Decks to Look Up: Grixis Midrange, Grixis Control, and Blue Moon.
« Ultima modifica: Gennaio 09, 2016, 11:39:25 pm da youjohneh »

jonnie

• EDH Degenerate | Washed-up Modern Player
  • Decks
Re: [Legacy] Izzet Controlling Burn...ish...HELP ME PLEASE
« Risposta #2 il: Gennaio 09, 2016, 11:35:51 pm »
Of course a lot of the examples I've given you are really expensive competitive decks. The important thing to do is to look at what these decks do, take what you like from them, and adjust them accordingly to the cards and resources you have access to. Just make sure the deck you're playing falls into one of the mentioned categories. There are plenty of budget options, in which I could spend all day listing, but at the end of the day what you play is ultimately up to you.

BelligerentDemon

• Decks
Re: Izzet Controlling Burn...ish - Comments
« Risposta #3 il: Gennaio 10, 2016, 01:23:39 am »
Thank you!!